Broken crashpad...

john2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Guys. I've got a problem with my fz6. Last weekend I had a little "accident", clasic one, i drop my bike
on the ground. You may think is not a big deal, few scratches on the tank and nothing more BUT not this time...
When I raised my bike I almost had a heart attack, the left crashpad and a fragment of bike's frame just broke.
Here is a preview picture: (I marked this fragment with the red "square")

so I want to ask you - will this affect on the stiffness of the whole bike's frame?
what I suppose to do in this case? Schould I weld the bike's frame or...?

Ok I'm probably blind and I apologize in advance if that's the case but I'm really not sure what you're talking about. I see nothing broken. Was there supposed to be a frame slider there?

Ok I'm probably blind and I apologize in advance if that's the case but I'm really not sure what you're talking about.
this picturewas just an example

Did it just chip or did that whole area break off? Can you take a picture of the actual damage?
unforunately this whole part i marked on the 1st pic just break off...

real, made a sec ago:

Last edited:
Yes this is a HUGE DEAL that is not only a major part of the frame but also one of the main engine mounts...unfortunately you should start looking for a right side frame. Or if you have full coverage on your bike call your insurace agent because, bad news they would prolly consider it totaled

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Yes this is a HUGE DEAL that is not only a major part of the frame but also one of the main engine mounts...unfortunately you should start looking for a right side frame. Or if you have full coverage on your bike call your insurace agent because, bad news they would prolly consider it totaled

+1 ^.

That frame is done.

Last edited:
Scooter is selling the frame pretty darn cheap! I would call insurance company and have them cut you check. pay out difference on the bike to them because I'm sure they'll want something back so you can keep the bike and then buy frame with left over cash. You might even pocket a profit.

There is someone on here selling a complete frame for a very reasonable price, ill go look for the link. DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE!!!

Here is the link, he has it on Ebay right now too with 18 hours left and no bidders, so I would contact him right away if you need it.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/40354-f-s-complete-frame-black-2007-model.html

How fast were you going when this happened? Im sorry it had to be worst case scenario man :(

Talk about timing! I just pulled the eBay listing about 5 minutes before this post (I had two bidders, both of which backed out due to lack of funds so I said eFF it). Thank you for the bump though!! :)

To the OP...I would agree with the rest here in that the frame is pretty much done for the day. There are a number of people that have welded the frame due to similar breaks and have seemed to have some success. There are only two problems with this: 1). It dramatically decreases your chance of getting a decent amount at resale & 2). You would be risking the structural integrity of a very important part of the bike.

Please feel free to message me if you decide to go the "fix-it" route. I will give you one heck of a deal!

I cant believe that happened from.just falling over...good luck with whatever you do

That's too bad. . . What brand of Frame Slider was on there?

Seems to me the quality and fit of the part should be such that the bolts strength and flange seating into the FZ's frame would be made stronger than rest OR make shear point(s) outward on the slider and this stuff wouldn't happen.

Obviously an R & D design fail and those engineers don't dump FZ's enough to see what really happens.

That's too bad. . . What brand of Frame Slider was on there?

Seems to me the quality and fit of the part should be such that the bolts strength and flange seating into the FZ's frame would be made stronger than rest OR make shear point(s) outward on the slider and this stuff wouldn't happen.

Obviously an R & D design fail and those engineers don't dump FZ's enough to see what really happens.

Speaking of that i wonder if he could contact the company that made them, inform them on what happened and get them to.foot the bill since obviously they sold him a sh!ty product. Or maybe even sue?

I think all crashpads can do the same no matter which brand it is.
So it's better not to use any.

I think all crashpads can do the same no matter which brand it is.
So it's better not to use any.

So let me make sure im understanding you right you think its better to not have frame sliders aka crash pads....if that is what your saying then why? This is a rare happening most of the time they save your bike from getting damaged

This is the first time ive sceen it happen ever other thread ive read basicly says thank god for em

This is the first time ive sceen it happen ever other thread ive read basicly says thank god for em

I know somebody posted that this happened to them, with pictures. I just can't find it right now. The leverage of the slider just overwhelms the thin wall of the mounting point of the frame. So, in a tip-over or minor fall they work. If you happen to slide along for a distance and catch something like a pavement reflector it will snap the frame quite easily.

Honestly it's a tough call whether to install them or not. I have them and they have minimized damage during 2 tip-overs.

The R & D boys fail to take into account that we're not on the track where everything is smooth and there are not pot holes in the asphalt, curbs, barriers, and other things that create instant shear points (referring to bike sliding on the ground).

I mean, how hard is it to make it sequentially weaker so if the shear force at the tip is exceeded, the tip snaps off leaving another layer of protection. Hint - the last thing to break should be the bolt used to secure it. Cause when it snaps inside the frame as this did, the frame gets damaged. Design FAIL!

Strange how falling over snapped the bottom of the frame out.

Ya they have saved my bike as well but i think the main problem is the generic ones wich dont mount to.the framr flush, the ones that leave a gap at the bottom

Back