Breaking in a new Bike- Hard? or by the book?

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I've worked for an auto manufacturer before (who also produces motorcycles), be assured that no one who has ridden the bike before you cares about the "proper break-in", so you probably really shouldn't bother either. As long as the motor is up to temp and has good oil with pressure, ride it however you want to. When is the last time you heard of a motor in anything having a problem that was blamed on it being broken-in improperly? Never.

My favorite story to tell people who talk about this is the first time i was at an auto plant, watching the production. A car is driven right off the line, out the door, up to an intersection. The driver stops the car, puts the car in neutral, then floors it. The thing is bouncing off the rev limiter, the driver drops the car into drive. The car sits still, it is a test to make sure the car doesn't go into gear when reved above a certain rpm. The rpms drop, car goes into gear, driver tears off down a short course to test some stuff, then the car is parked in a huge parking lot and he goes to the next car.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say, stay away from long trips at the same rpm and you should be good. You won't know what you bought until you see redline! :eek:

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I broke mine in by the book (ish).

One important thing is to make sure you get up and down the gears a lot. :thumbup:

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I just rode my bike as usual style.But i will tried to avoid the highway if possible for the 1000km.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Every Honda ATV that roles off the line is run on a dyno first thing. The first step, wide-open through all gears...

I like to heat cycle my motors, but I have heard and understand both sides of the arguement.

-bryan

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive owned 3 bikes with 0 miles ..all ridden hard and fast from the off,,no problems here

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
my dealers have always told me that the factory way was good if not a little conservitive, meaning follow the basic guidlines of no high revs and to varry the rpm and no consistant rpm other than that just ride it "normal"

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
Every Honda ATV that roles off the line is run on a dyno first thing. The first step, wide-open through all gears...

I like to heat cycle my motors, but I have heard and understand both sides of the arguement.

-bryan

Thanks man! After reading the article that I posted, alot of what he said does make sense.