First bike...FZ6 or FZ1 for a big guy?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think '07 and up is the way to go. No offence to our '04 to '06 friends.

From the bikes you listed the '07 is okay price wise, the '09 is very reasonable, but look out for dealer add ons. Add ons can hit $2,000 in a heart beat. Remember it is the dead of winter and the economy sucks, cash talks in this environment. Offer $4,000 and see what happens. I sold my '07 with about 6,000 miles in Spring of '08 for $4,700 for a point of reference.

As far as the bike looks for dents, dings, scratches, and oxidized fasteners. The oxidized fasteners will tell you if the bike was kept inside or out. It may have the original OEM tires, Bridgestone B020s (right guys? correct me if I'm wrong). Also look for a bike with NO mods. Yeah I'm a mod nut but when I look for a used bike I want bone stock. When I sell my bikes I take all of the mods off and sell them stock. Not that mods are bad, but the less a person has fiddled with the bike the better. Things like new tires, sliders, etc. are good mods to pick up. Power Commanders, etc, I'd avoid.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks alot guys! These suggestions have been incredibly helpful and now I'm in the process of looking for a bike. Now I'd like some opinions regarding these bikes and prices at dealers near me:

Year Bike Condition Miles Price
2007 FZ6 Used 4,400 $4,399
2008 FZ6 New 0 listed at $6,999 (trying for $5700ish)
2009 FZ6 New 0 $6,099

I really like the idea of the used 2007, seems reasonable to me. But then again, I don't know how quickly motorcycles depreciate or what I should expect to pay for a used 07 FZ6 with 4.4k miles. My concern is that being new to motorcycles, I don't know what to look for on a used bike. What tips/recommendations would you guys give me when looking at a used bike to determine condition? Would you recommend new or used? The $6,099 for the '09 is the best price I've come across so far for brand new. I'm thinking that the dealer with the 2008 FZ6 might come down on his price considerably when he finds out that a dealer 13 miles away is selling a new 09 for $900 less...

Opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated. I want to go "shopping" this weekend and might pull the trigger if I find a bike and price I like.

It is easy for me to say since it is not my money, but I would jump on the new '09 for that price (or lower if you can get it.) But if you really think that you might move up to an FZ1 in a couple of years, the used '07 might be a better choice, assuming it is in good shape and if you can get the price down a little. It also has the advantage of being RED.

Last edited:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is physically quite a big bike for a 600 anyway - it looks a similar size to many 1000s.

It's also a lot of power to handle for a first bike. But you sound sensible so you'll be alright. With more reckless, younger riders I tend to say the FZ6 is too much, but it's great if you keep a healthy respect for it.

And my god, it's like a roomful of giants in here. I'm 5'10", 168lbs. :D

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
FZ6 has great ergos for a big dude. I have the exact same specs as you and it fits me well. I started on something a little more flickable and forgiving in a GS500, but you can probably learn just was easily on the FZ6.

I didn't know that I should change out the springs due to my size... guess I'll get around to that at some point.

Also, kudos to you for handling the more judgmental forum members so reasonably.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Don't listen to the people with the red bikes. I can say from own experience, that the BLUE bikes are the fastest. :D

BR Rob

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
If it was me I would go for the used 2007 model... not that a new 2008 or 2009 would be a bad thing. But as a young guy, you are going to need some leeway ie. cash to do the mods you want (suspension, front sprocket, speedohealer, etc). A low mileage 2007 model should serve you very well. Make sure you check it out well so there are no surprises. Not that every beginner drops their bike.. but you see it very often with silly mishaps like the bike going down while parked in the garage or on soft ground.. hey, things happen. A used bike puts less pressure on you while you are learning and really keeps the cost down.

Good luck with your decision and if you have specific questions as to condition, come back to this forum for quick, accurate answers.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 250 lbs and I can say that the FZ6 will have more than enough "power" for you. I've never found a loss of power or that the bike ever worked hard. Mine has stock suspension and I notice no problems and I do not have the suspension maxed. Of course, I'm not doing hard track days either, I also came from a Goldwing and a power cruiser as well. (and many others over the years) I found the FZ6 suprisingly quick and sporty as you work the rpms, and responsive but managable when trying to ride less aggressive. I thought about a "bigger" bike like the FZ1 but after riding both, purchased the FZ6...hands down. Although the FZ6 was a super deal which is one of the reasons I couldn't pass it up, if I had thought I needed "more bike" that's what I would have done. I would buy the FZ6 again over the FZ1. Nothing wrong with the FZ1, but the FZ6 fits me better. In the end ride both and then decide, but I wouldn't worry about needing a bigger bike. Just my opinion.

Glad to hear you will be taking the rider course. Everyone should. Enjoy !

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
ahhh, the thread is pretty much over but i'll go ahead and say...

these threads always crack me up. it's a FIRST bike. you most likely will drop it. why get your dream bike to drop it? never understand that. i'm so happy i didn't get my dream bike as my first bike. as stated, i would have dropped it 3 times. also, the bike i started on already heavier than it should have been and made it harder for me to learn the basics quickly... couldn't imagine if i would have gotten the big beast i wanted. but most importantly, my tastes have changed in 3 years of riding. what i thought would be comfortable and uncomfortable has changed.

anyway, good luck with your new bike. stay safe and have fun. riding is an absolute blast. i wish i would have started sooner.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah good point. FZ was my first bike I got a great deal on it 5200 for a 2006 in 2008. only 3k km.

By the end of the first season that total was up to about 7 grand due to repairs and plastics.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha no after that i just said frak it, ill repair it after i drop it a few more times.

a bit later on i dumped it in a corner due to some gravel and indecision about going straight or turning...

THEN i fixed up some of the cosmetic damage.

then i dropped it at the track. and atm ive still got some busted fairings (not badly, but enough to be noticeable) and some grinded up bits along the sides (both sides :p)

this year ill be doing a lot more track days so i dont think ill be fixing anything just yet.

:D

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
ahhh, the thread is pretty much over but i'll go ahead and say...

these threads always crack me up. it's a FIRST bike. you most likely will drop it. why get your dream bike to drop it? never understand that. i'm so happy i didn't get my dream bike as my first bike. as stated, i would have dropped it 3 times. also, the bike i started on already heavier than it should have been and made it harder for me to learn the basics quickly... couldn't imagine if i would have gotten the big beast i wanted. but most importantly, my tastes have changed in 3 years of riding. what i thought would be comfortable and uncomfortable has changed.

anyway, good luck with your new bike. stay safe and have fun. riding is an absolute blast. i wish i would have started sooner.

First bike, 5th bike...buy what you like and learn to ride it. There's a learning curve for every unfamiliar bike no matter smaller or bigger. If you can physically handle it and use good judgement get you want instead of buying a little bike and working up. That's a salemans pitch. (course that may be a good excuse for a new bike...) "small" won't keep you safe. A good fit is better. Take the rider course first.

Aside from the dirt bikes and that kind of riding, I never put down a bike except twice (knock on wood) the 1st time was embarassing as I stopped and put my foot down in a pothole I didn't see and tipped over, the other time a deer hit me broadside.

Yes, experience helps, but maturity and safe riding will help keep you safe until you gain experience, that and a rider course which should be a must. As a bike world mag writer I once talked to said, it's not if you put it down, it's when !