First bike...FZ6 or FZ1 for a big guy?

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone!

Just joined this site but I've been browsing through it for the last few weeks. I've wanted a motorcycle for about as long as I can remember. I used to have a dirtbike in my teens (23 now) and have ridden my friend's 2008 YZF-R6 a few times. I just started a career after graduating from college in December and now I finally have the financial means to afford the purchase.

I realize I am asking this question on the FZ6 forum, and as such, expect to hear more people recommend the 6. Also, I'm sure this topic has been beat to death before, but I've read every thread I could find regarding the 1 vs. 6 debate and still am not sure. However, I haven't found any situation quite like mine.

I really like the looks of the 6, the exhaust is awesome. Regarding price and insurance costs, the 6 also gets the advantage (not too much on the insurance though w/progressive).

My concern is this: I'm a pretty big guy @ 6'4 280lbs. I want a bike that still has enough power to take off when I hit the throttle. I'd like a bike that's able to get the front tire off the ground and accelerate quickly. And I might be doing some riding with a passenger eventually (though she's under 125). I'd really love to hear from some larger guys, especially if you do some two up riding.

Some other things to consider: I'm a pretty responsible individual and a quick learner. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and would prefer to not buy something, outgrow it, and have to get something else. It would be almost exclusively for fun and don't see myself commuting to work (unless I can figure out how to ride a motorcycle in a suit lol).

How do you guys think the FZ6 would be for a big guy like myself? What about the FZ1?

Last edited:

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs. The FZ6 is great and leaves nothing to be desired, no problems whatsoever taking off. I've started accellerating from a dead stop and got up to 70 before I even realized it, without even trying. I've ridden 2 up and didn't have any problems. The FZ6 is a great bike and you won't outgrow it.

I've sat on the FZ1 before, and it seemed a little more cramped. You know that saying with sportbikes: "The bigger the engine, the smaller the bike."

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, welcome!

The FZ6 will have enough HP to haul you around. But, these are I-4 power plants and because of that, they are not the best hole-shot or wheelie bikes. They will do it, but not as easily as other hi-pro bikes of torqued v-twins.

Since you mention a pillion, you're fast approaching the weight limit of the FZ6 and the FZ1 would be better suited to hauling that much. However, I'd like to point out that both the FZ6 and the FZ1 are stock sprung for a person almost half your size. Plan on upgrading the fork springs and the rear spring regardless of which one you purchase.

Last, have you taken the Motorcycle Basic Rider Course? Do you have your license? What concerns me here is this: No street experience on a supersport and you're talking wheelies? I'm smelling a combination that doesn't pan out too well. We want new riders around for a LONG time, get my meaning? ;)

I had both model FZ6 bikes and loved them. I'm tipping 230 lbs with full gear. With a rider on the back, the bike had some struggles on big hills and I had to drop gears to get speed. I now own the FZ1 and I don't have those troubles. But, the FZ1 is NOT a bike to take lightly. It is an uncontrollable beast when you go WOT if you are not experienced or prepared for it. The FZ6 will do a pretty good job at it too even with your size.

One thing the FZ1 has that the FZ6 does not is stock adjustable suspension. A big plus for bigger guys. You can bump it all up and likely be OK riding it until you can re-spring both ends. The FZ6, well, you'd have to plan on the springs asap.

Be careful regardless. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 should be fine.
I'm 6ft 2" and 15 stone and tbh,the FZ6 is a bike that kind of fits all.
The best thing to suggest,is to take both out for a test and see what suits.
They are both great bikes and if it's going to be a keeper,then take your time choosing :thumbup:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses!

To answer your question FZ1inNH, I haven't yet taken the motorcycle basic rider course but plan to get into the next class in mid-March. I hadn't really looked into it because I always (mistakenly) assumed you needed to supply your own bike.

And don't worry, all in all I'm a safe, responsible driver. I don't plan on going outside my skill level, but eventually would like to have the option to lift the front if I ever wanted to. The only reason I even brought it up is because I would like to keep this bike for a long time and not have to get a different one several years down the road.

You mention that with a passenger we would be close to the weight limits. What are those for the FZ1 and FZ6? Also, you mention replacing the springs. How much would that likely cost (an average rough estimate is fine, I'm sure it varies depending on how nice of springs) and what are the advantages to having springs suited for my weight (comfort, handling?)?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Regardless of your size, IMO FZ1 is too much bike for a beginner, period. You would be much better off getting the FZ6 learning on it for a year or 2, then upgrading and riding 2 up if you wish.

I am a fairly new rider and like you I wanted the FZ1. I did a ton of reading but still was not convinced to get the smaller bike until I read this discussion. Do yourself a favor and read it with your eyes wide open

http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html

btw, I am a pretty heavy guy too, weighing in at 240. So far this bike has been perfect for me.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I don't plan on going outside my skill level

No one ever "plans" on riding over their head. They end up riding over their head because they have a bike that is way more capable than they can handle.

Do NOT buy a FZ1 as a first bike.

Why?

It is very powerful and fast.

Since you are new, you will progress in your personal skills much faster in a bike like the FZ6 or SMALLER (Ninja 500 or the like) because they are so much more forgiving when (not if) you make mistakes while riding.

Most people think the FZ6 is too much bike for a beginner REGARDLESS of size. I agree. I am a better rider because I started on a 500 instead of a 600.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer your question, the max load for both the 6 and the 1 are the same. Rider, passenger, load and gear = 419 lbs.

You @ 280, her at 125 and then add all the gear (you both are going ATGATT, correct???) You're at 405 before you start gearing up.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
***edited*** Sorry for taking my bad mood out on the new guy.

please make sure you get good gear before you ride.

Also. Please be sure you get 2500 miles under your belt minimum before putting someone on the back of whatever bike you ride.

I rode almost 2 years and 6500 miles before putting a passenger on the back.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There's a lot of things about this conversation that make it tough to think of it in serious terms.

'I'm responsible' and 'I want a bike that I can wheelie' are usually where I start seeing issues. :) 'I don't want to buy a bike I will outgrow'...... 'I'm too big for the little bikes'.......

Riding a dirt bike doesn't adequately prepare you for street riding. Developing survivable responses to the threats on the road may not come quickly enough; that is much more likely to be an issue when you add stronger acceleration and higher top speeds. Learn to ride a slow bike at slow speeds, and then apply those skills to the next bike.

Higher HP bikes tend to make for lazy riders..... the answer to almost all problems is to 'power out' of it. Sometimes that is a terrible decision. If you have the power available, you don't develop the same habits as someone who has to carry momentum to go fast.

If this is your first street experience, I would HIGHLY recommend against taking passengers for the first season. Especially as you are stout enough to stress the suspension already. No insult intended...... it's just a bad idea to find out you are in over your head, with a passenger along to share in the results.

Most rider's learning curves are fairly steep at first, then plateau for a while.... then a few months after they start riding, and have stopped scaring themselves (and forgotten what scared them in the first place) They'll push just that little bit more....... and find out they've been on the edge for quite a while. Gravity never, ever forgets.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric aka FZ1NH has offered the best advice as he's familiar with both bikes. He use to own an FZ6 and switched to the FZ1.

If you have any questions regarding the MSF, feel free to PM me.

I don't suggest you consider taking on any passengers unless you have at least 10,000 miles underneath your belt. We can agree that you can get comfortable on how you handle your bike in just 2-3000 miles. But that isn't nearly enough miles for you to encounter all the hazards that will certainly be in your future. 90% of riding is mental, yes, we teach and you will learn how and where to look, and what to do. But you really won't know how you will react until you actually confront it. And you are better off finding out by yourself rather than having somebody else's life sitting behind you depending on whether you make the correct decision. For the beginning rider, the majority of crashes occur within the first 3500 miles.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, you mention replacing the springs. How much would that likely cost (an average rough estimate is fine, I'm sure it varies depending on how nice of springs) and what are the advantages to having springs suited for my weight (comfort, handling?)?

Front springs for either bike from Racetech are around $100 to $120. You'll want someone experienced to install them. The rear spring can be had for about $120 to $200 depending on what you want out of it.

Hyper Pro sells combi kits with the fork oil required for $279, same cost for either bike.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Front springs for either bike from Racetech are around $100 to $120. You'll want someone experienced to install them. The rear spring can be had for about $120 to $200 depending on what you want out of it.

Hyper Pro sells combi kits with the fork oil required for $279, same cost for either bike.

I use Racetech springs in the front and really like them. For the rear, I just run the preload at 7 and it is fine most of the time. I usually don't ride two up much so it is sufficient.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
'I'm too big for the little bikes'.......

Now, in my defense, I didn't make that statement. I merely asked a question regarding weight and bikes. You'd be surprised how many things are "different" when you're large, especially things that were designed for normal sized people (motorcycles, cars, clothes, you name it).

I appreciate the responses even though some of you were a bit quick to lash out. Keep in mind, I was asking these questions before I make a decision in an effort to educate myself and prevent a mistake. I've never understood why some people are so quick to criticize. If you don't agree or think it's utterly stupid that I was actually debating this, then tell me why. I'm here to learn, and logical reasons are much more persuasive than insults.

You've all helped assuage my concerns that an FZ6 wouldn't be strong enough to pull a large individual around on the street. Overall, this thread has actually been very helpful, and eased my mind about picking the FZ6. I think I'll be shopping around at dealers in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully I can get a great deal on an '08 or '09 (most likely '09, I can't find any '08s) Raven FZ6.

To all of you, even those of you who think I am a moron for posing the question, thank you! I'll be visiting this site often if I end up pulling the trigger on an FZ6.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
***edited*** Sorry for taking my bad mood out on the new guy.

please make sure you get good gear before you ride.

Also. Please be sure you get 2500 miles under your belt minimum before putting someone on the back of whatever bike you ride.

I rode almost 2 years and 6500 miles before putting a passenger on the back.

krid80: Thank you, I was wondering how to respond to the earlier post but you beat me to it. We all have those days sometimes, no hard feelings.

FZ1inNH: Thank you! I knew it was sound advice as soon as I read it. I appreciate the opinion from someone who has had both bikes.

Vegasrider: I'm already signed up to take my Basic Rider Course at the first available time (mid-march). Thank you for the suggestions.

To everyone concerned about me riding with a passenger: I have no plans to ride 2 up in the near or semi-near future. I only asked about it because it's something that might occur a good bit down the road and I plan on buying a bike that I can keep for quite awhile.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is an amazing first bike for anyone.
I'm 6' 300lb and the FZ6 is plenty fast for me. It still does 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
This bike really isn't made for power wheelies unless you do a sprocket change. I did the -1/+2 and the front wheel pops up under full throttle in 1st, and while shifting into 2nd and 3rd.

If you plan on doing 2up however, you might need to do some suspension mods or look at another bike. The manual states a maximum weight of 400lb, but even with myself the stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired.

+1 on waiting a while before taking a passenger.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
But, the FZ1 is NOT a bike to take lightly. It is an uncontrollable beast when you go WOT if you are not experienced or prepared for it. The FZ6 will do a pretty good job at it too even with your size.

So, if I go upgrade, I might consider for FZ8 instead of FZ1... ??
FZ8 might have simlar power range??? ha ha ha

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm voting FZ1 for you because you don't sound like a young, know-everything yahoo. And, given your size and plans to double up with GF, I think FZ1 would be a better match-up. And, with your weight load, I think you'll appreciate the heavier torque of the FZ1 over the FZ6. One always hears about "moving up" to a bigger bike but can you imagine someone purchasing a FZ1 and later, wanting to "move down" to an FZ6? I can't. Besides, you can probably get yourself killed just as fast on an FZ6 as on a FZ1. I have to admit, though, I've never ridden an FZ1. One thing that I dislike about the FZ1 is the fuel mileage disadvantage.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
krid80: Thank you, I was wondering how to respond to the earlier post but you beat me to it. We all have those days sometimes, no hard feelings.

FZ1inNH: Thank you! I knew it was sound advice as soon as I read it. I appreciate the opinion from someone who has had both bikes.

Vegasrider: I'm already signed up to take my Basic Rider Course at the first available time (mid-march). Thank you for the suggestions.

To everyone concerned about me riding with a passenger: I have no plans to ride 2 up in the near or semi-near future. I only asked about it because it's something that might occur a good bit down the road and I plan on buying a bike that I can keep for quite awhile.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

I totally understand the size issue... I'm your size. Every where I work I get interesting nicknames: "Ogre" "Shrek" etc.

It's ok, though. I prefer being big to being abnormally small.

As such, I find the FZ6 to be MORE comfortable for a guy my size than the FZ1.

The FZ6's peg location is more relaxed than the "R1-esque" location on the FZ1. Also, the FZ1 bars are lower and a little further forward putting more pressure on your wrists and hands. The FZ6 sits more like a narrow FJR1300 than a 600 version of the FZ1.

Never said this earlier. :welcome: