Brake Pads!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I got some Sintered brake pads for the front and instantly hated them.
800 miles later my front end would jump and made me extremely nervous, and they got dust everywhere. The pads have cracked and started to chip so im lookin for new pads because these suck a$$!

What are the OEM pads made of? ceramic, kevlar, etc?

What would you all recommend for ALOT of highway riding with occasional mountain runs?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are the OEM pads made of? ceramic, kevlar, etc?

What would you all recommend for ALOT of highway riding with occasional mountain runs?

I'm at 85,000 miles and still on the original OEM front brake pads, and just had a tire replacement at the dealership last weekend, and they said it's still in great shape.

There are certain OEM parts that are just great, clutch cable, chain, battery and brake pads to name a few.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

I like the OEM pads, the aftermarket ones are generally harder (literally) and harder on the rotors wearing them down quicker as well.. Pads are alot cheaper and easier to replace than rotors...

I replaced my ft pads at about 12,000 miles but I use them mostly, the rears are original and about new.

OEM parts are usually a bit more expensive than aftermarket stuff but you get what you pay for.

I pay extra for full, top of the line synthetic engine oil, but if the cam chain/engine, etc, lasts a bit longer, its worth it IMO...

To part of the original question, no I don't know what the exact compound is of the OEM pads. Most Bike manufacturers put on "middle of the road", all around, good performance parts for the general rider.

For your particular riding, IMO, I'd stick with the OEM pads, they should work fine... Decent life, decent grab and they'll fit correctly the first time..

Last edited:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you got some defective pads, I'm using EBC's HH sintered pads on the front with R6r radial brakes, I've had no trouble at all, they bite like oem pads, but with no brake fade, another option is EBC's Organic/Kevlar pads, they have better cold (initial) bite than the HH sintered pads, giving better low speed stopping with no fade, I use the Organic/Kevlar pads on the rear brake since I use it mostly under 30 mph..........

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the EBC organic pads front and rear. I've had them for about 10K miles and they are great. Wear so far seems minimal and I often practice hard emergency stops from 60+ MPH. When these wear out I will probably go with HH sintered pads in the front.

And kudos VEGASRIDER for 85K miles out of the original front pads. Says a lot about your riding style...namely that you are a very safe and conservative rider.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Round things and things to stop the round things + a bug filter!
picture.php

Umm - see picture!!!

OEM - and obviously some of us are harder on our bikes than others!

Sco

Reaction score
Visit site
My guy at the Yamaha shop also recommends the Yamaha OEM brake pads,
of course that is what he supposed say,right? I do believe him...

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
What brand pads and source?

im not sure the brand.
There was a "back room" in our computer system and I found these pads listed under 2001 R6 for a grand total of $.01 a side....so for $.02 I cant complain all that much, but I do need a good set of pads.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
im not sure the brand.
There was a "back room" in our computer system and I found these pads listed under 2001 R6 for a grand total of $.01 a side....so for $.02 I cant complain all that much, but I do need a good set of pads.

Wow, who knows whence they came then? I'm plenty happy with OEM.

I locked the front wheel on my last bike and the FZ6 has 4x the braking power. I respect it more than the engine.

ELHOCKEY

Reaction score
Visit site
for anything short of the track high grade ceramic (sintered), or carbon composite brakes (also sintered) are unneccesary. these brakes actually have significantly less stopping power when cool compared with the standard issue oem low carbon steel composite. If you're riding highways I'm assuming you want to be able to stop quickly without having used your brakes for a while :p.
Sintered brakes also heat unevenly since its a mix and not perfectly homogenous the different cte's of the materials will show themselves so if you do get them hot ~150-200C+ and wear them in hot, when they cool their wear pattern will be different than when hot and can result in some sketchy stopping/catching.

-input from a composites/ceramic infra engineer currently listening to his Thermodynamics 321 professor shouting over his shoulder

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
im not sure the brand.

Yikes! Good price! TOO GOOD! There are certain purchases that I will not price shop. Brake pads are on that list.

Whatever you buy next, make sure that the manufacturer makes brakes as their 'day job'.

Eric 08FZ6

EC Was Here
Reaction score
Visit site
Nearly 12,000 on my blue 08 FZ6. I commute a lot on my bike.. lots of traffic. needless to say OEM pads are gone. I went with the Galfer G1054 Organic pads. Loving them!! Silent! and should save my rotors.. I'd rather swap pads every couple years than spend the big money for rotors.. Very smooth, fingertip control! Feels very similiar to OEM, if not slightly better..

Hope this helps.. I ordered through motosport.com. Not sure if plugging them is OK, but super fast shipping, and free if you drop $100, or more. I ordered Monday night, and got them Wednesday.. slapped them on in a heartbeat, and took it for a quick test test ride before I had to put the kids to bed!