Brake pads & Anti-seize ?

Va.Rider

Home in the Old Dominion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Posted this on "How To's" just looking for a little more exposure.
Getting ready to change out brake pads for the first time. Question: Do I need to put any anti-seize / copper grease etc. on the back of the brake pads to reduce potential squeaking ??? Is this just for cars & not so much bikes ? Is this just good practice or should I avoid getting this stuff anywhere near brake pads. Opinions & all the facts I can get, are both welcome.
Thanx !!!!!!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not. Brake squeal is a result of hi frequency vibration that occurs between the caliper pistons and the back of the pad surface due to the pad/piston mating area not being flush. Given the small area between the piston and pad you should be OK. I would go without a lubricant and if it is required its easy enough to add later.

I would however add anti-seize to the pins so the pads travel smoothly and the pins don't pit/corrode.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 ^^^^.

Brake grease is NOT called for per the manual. As noted above, should they squeal they make BRAKE SPECIFIC grease
that won't melt and you can apply just a small amount to the back of the pads.

Pay attention to the SS anti-rattle plate, there's an ARROW imprinted atop it that faces forward..

Any pins the calipers FLOAT ON should be cleaned of old grease and re-packed with fresh BRAKE grease.

This helps the caliper center itself (rear brake or fronts on the S1 models)