BMW Opinion

seoulski

Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a bike I have been lusting for a while. It's a 1999 R1100S with less than 12k miles on it. Looking for some opinions/expert advice on the purchase and what to look for (BMW Specific). I know it has been sitting for a couple of years. The battery has been replaced and supposedly all they did was put fresh fuel in. It's a one owner bike and previous service has been done by a dealer. I can handle most any maintenance, but I know little about BMWs. He is asking $6000. I am offering $5300. NADA excellent value Retail is $5375. Any help would be appreciated.:thumbup:

Thanks

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Look sweet! I've heard nothing but good things about BMW's. Is there a dealer warranty? It might be something to use in negotiating the sale. Good luck!

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
Do your research. Use google and try to find an owners manual. Look at the normal service requirements in the owners manual. Try some BMW forums and ask the question if this model has any known recurring issues. I think BMWs are good motorcycles with expensive parts if they break. The more mechanical you are, the better off you are with an older used bike. Good luck.:thumbup:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure on that year model but a lot of BMW use a BUS system to distribute power and there have been folks on advrider and the BMW forums with problems.

Final drives on BMWs though not a problem overall there have been riders who have had final drive failures. Enough to cause lots of Internet ruckus over the subject.

I had a BMW R1150R a 2005 model and liked it. Only problem I ever had with it was the left factory grip warmer would intermittently work which was annoying during cold weather. Other than that oil transmission and final drive fluid changes regularly new tires and it ran and ran and ran :)

Maintenance is super simple On the bike. I could replace spark plugs in about 10 minutes and a valve adjustment in 20 minutes :)
a6cd0ba3-7036-359b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an opportunity to purchase a red '02 R1100S before I bought my FZ. Not that I regret buying the FZ but I kind of wish sometimes I would have gone with the beemer. Great bike with a lot of character and pretty unique, Ive only seen one other R1100S in the past year.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
FANTASTIC MOTORCYCLE. seriously i almost bought one but the guy was asking too much for it. the r1100s is the only 1100 BMW with 6 speeds. the 5 speed bmws were too buzzy on the interstate. it will be just like the fz6 except way more comfortable, faster, and with more torque

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would ride it first and see if you can tolerate the "all the time" vibration from the opposed twin..

I rode one about 100 miles (swapped with a friend, he wanted to ride my Goldwing) and found the vibration quite annoying thru the handlebars. As noted above, IMHO, it didn't have much zip to it(compared to the FZ) and BMW is VERY PROUD of their parts. There were some rear drive failures as the units were sealed, their now making them where you can change the pumpkin oil for occasional maintainance...

Their mechanics seem to be more knowledgable than most in my experiance...

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I would ride it first and see if you can tolerate the "all the time" vibration from the opposed twin..

I rode one about 100 miles (swapped with a friend, he wanted to ride my Goldwing) and found the vibration quite annoying thru the handlebars. As noted above, IMHO, it didn't have much zip to it(compared to the FZ) and BMW is VERY PROUD of their parts. There were some rear drive failures as the units were sealed, their now making them where you can change the pumpkin oil for occasional maintainance...

Their mechanics seem to be more knowledgable than most in my experiance...

Sealed final drives?? I've never seen on that on any beemer i looked at. My 05 got new final drive gear oil every 5 k when i changed oil.

Sent from my iPhone

D

Dave.TX

I know several people with BMW's though they're mostly the GS type. Parts are expensive but generally you don't need to do much to them except fluid changes and normal maintenance. If you can afford it then why not...

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know several people with BMW's though they're mostly the GS type. Parts are expensive but generally you don't need to do much to them except fluid changes and normal maintenance. If you can afford it then why not...
funny that you say that, I just ordered lots of parts for my GS, and most of em were MUCH cheaper then yamaha parts...

The 1100 series boxers were one of the most reliable boxers made.
And it rides so incredibly nice. Yes, there are vibration, but for my 1200 only when stationairy. While riding its no worse then a fz6 (my fz6 made my hands go numb on longer distances, hasnt happened on my gs yet..)

So I'd say, if the test ride goes well, go for it :cheer: