Blowout! - should I contact the manufacturer?

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Update: Blowout! - should I contact the manufacturer?

Had a blowout earlier, thankfully at low speed in a straight line, still shook me though as I'd been doing motorway speeds only 5 minutes earlier.

This is the first time this has happened to me. Should I head back to the place where I had them fitted and see whether it is a manufacturing fault? Or is it most likely a puncture that decided to blow?

All advice gratefully received!

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW! Are they new tires? If so, I would go back & have them look at it.
Glad you kept your calm and came out of that ok! That would have shook me to the core :eek:

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I've had them on for about 2500-3000 miles, beginning to square off slightly but masses of life left. Just pushed the bike off the road into our car park, not easy pushing a bike with a flat tyre! Made it feel 300kg plus! I was quite calm at the time, it was when I started thinking about the motorway I'd just been on and the corners I'd just been round that it hit me!

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Investigate the blow out. Take pictures, notify the shop where you purchased the tire and the manufacturer.
Please post your results including type and brand of tire.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had them on for about 2500-3000 miles, beginning to square off slightly but masses of life left. Just pushed the bike off the road into our car park, not easy pushing a bike with a flat tyre! Made it feel 300kg plus! I was quite calm at the time, it was when I started thinking about the motorway I'd just been on and the corners I'd just been round that it hit me!

Most motorcycle tires are worn out by 2500-3000 miles.... ;)

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't sound like a blowout, more like a nail and the tire deflated. It happens and most lilkely it is not a defect of the tire. Without pics no one can say for sure.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had a blowout earlier, thankfully at low speed in a straight line, still shook me though as I'd been doing motorway speeds only 5 minutes earlier.

All advice gratefully received!

Take your 'drawers' and have them dry-cleaned... don't use your own washing machine! :D

Seriously though, glad you kept your cool!

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Update: I've now had a new set of tyres fitted, Bridgestone's BT023s. I went to a different garage to the one I bought the Maxxis tyres from and you'll never believe what he found in the rim ....

a RAZOR blade!

My front had a gash in it which must've flipped the blade up just as my back tyre went over it and 'POP'.

I'm quite glad it wasn't the tyre at fault and that knowledge alone has helped restore my confidence. Cheers all for viewing the thread.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Most motorcycle tires are worn out by 2500-3000 miles.... ;)
"Most" doesn't include the stocker, BT20. I squeezed 17K miles out of a pair (but cord was showing). BTW, could you still use the razor blade for shaving? Also, I wonder if somebody deliberately tossed that blade out on the street. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a ...razor blade on a street. But maybe it fell out on trash day or something.

Last edited:

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed Tailgate. I have almost 10,000 miles on my stock BT020's. My bike is an '06, so I am replacing them before next spring!

ClarkFZ6 - glad to hear that you were able to walk away from that one. Can you report back with your opinions on the BT023's? I and many others on the forum would appreciate it.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
Agreed Tailgate. I have almost 10,000 miles on my stock BT020's. My bike is an '06, so I am replacing them before next spring!

ClarkFZ6 - glad to hear that you were able to walk away from that one. Can you report back with your opinions on the BT023's? I and many others on the forum would appreciate it.

Will do. I've put down 100 miles so far in damp conditions, taking it easy. Need a nice dry day to ease them in.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: I've now had a new set of tyres fitted, Bridgestone's BT023s. I went to a different garage to the one I bought the Maxxis tyres from and you'll never believe what he found in the rim ....

a RAZOR blade!

My front had a gash in it which must've flipped the blade up just as my back tyre went over it and 'POP'.

I'm quite glad it wasn't the tyre at fault and that knowledge alone has helped restore my confidence. Cheers all for viewing the thread.

First, glad you were not hurt.
Second, happy to hear it was not a defect in the tire.
Ride safe and live to ride again.
ice