Bits stolen

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Some douche stole some screws off my bike. :mad:Took it for a spin today and noticed that the 2 tank screws near the head stock are gone. Inspected the bike and found that the left radiator plate top screw also gone. I can't figure out why these specific screws were stolen. My Dad says they were trying to lift my tank. I am going to that place again tomorrow, with some friends. Gonna find out who did it and "take them to dinner".:D

Must have happened when I went into the city (Pretoria, very similar to Mogadishu).:Flip:

If you have an Allen(?) key, it becomes very easy to nick bits off anything really.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
The screws you're missing are famous for vibrating themselves loose and vanishing. See also: the bolts on the sides of your front fender. Ask me how I know, on both counts.

Nobody stole your screws but your engine vibration, time, and the wind, unfortunately. Time to hit up BikeBandit.com and place an order.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Hehe, makes sense to try and build an FZ6 this way. Seeing as how AWESOME it is and how DISCONTINUED it is :D

I also thought that the radiator one vibrated off, but not the two tank bolts. I tighten them myself after fiddling under the hood. (Been doing it for 3 yrs)

Anyway, I had some spare screws in the garage. But I prefer the stock ones they are so pretty.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Hehe, makes sense to try and build an FZ6 this way. Seeing as how AWESOME it is and how DISCONTINUED it is :D

I also thought that the radiator one vibrated off, but not the two tank bolts. I tighten them myself after fiddling under the hood. (Been doing it for 3 yrs)

Anyway, I had some spare screws in the garage. But I prefer the stock ones they are so pretty.

Maybe someone else in town with an FZ6 who didn't tighten their stuff down properly didn't feel like ordering from Bike Bandit...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Since both tank screws are gone I suspect you are right that some jackass did take them. There are low lifes in every part of the world.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I would replace them with security screws, you have to have.a special bit to remove them. They are basicly a allen or torxs screw with a round tit sticking up in the mddle so a regular allen or torx wont work

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
The screws you're missing are famous for vibrating themselves loose and vanishing. See also: the bolts on the sides of your front fender. Ask me how I know, on both counts.

Nobody stole your screws but your engine vibration, time, and the wind, unfortunately. Time to hit up BikeBandit.com and place an order.

A few weeks after I got my FZ I noticed that both of my tank screws were gone too. I found both of them under the tank. Also check your fender screws, I had the left one vibrate out twice now this year even with blue Locktight.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
i've lost a tank bolt like a week after my bike was inspected by a dealer, so they loosen up easily, but for 2 new bolts it was only 3 bucks....no idea how much parts will be in South Africa tho...

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I was at the bike shop they were selling a box with a bunch of diffrent types and size of screws and bolts in it.

Sent from my Droid via Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Also fyi a regular m6 bolt will work, you can find them at any hardware store. That what i replaced mine with because the head was beging to strip, now i just grab a 10mm socket to remove them

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
I would replace them with security screws, you have to have.a special bit to remove them. They are basicly a allen or torxs screw with a round tit sticking up in the mddle so a regular allen or torx wont work

and then, you'll be somewhere and need to take that screw out, and the mate to it will be back in wherever-ville. screwed you will be.

just put some blue lactate on em and don't worry.

:)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
and then, you'll be somewhere and need to take that screw out, and the mate to it will be back in wherever-ville. screwed you will be.

just put some blue lactate on em and don't worry.

:)

If i had security screws on my bike i would make sure to put the bit in the bikes tool kit....that just seems like common sense to me...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have lost my tank bolts due to vibration. Thankfully I was going slow enough that I heard them fall off and clank through the bike, pulled over and found them in the street.

Of course it's highly possible someone did it on purpose, but I don't understand the radiator side plate screw. It's not like those side plates are expensive or of any use.

Use some blue Loctite for bolts like that. It'll hold them on but they can still be removed with a wrench.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
it was, undoubtedly, vibration that caused your bolts to disappear, not the boogey man....

once one tank bolt falls off, the other quickly follows due to the increased movement/vibrations of the tank.

i know because i've seen it.

Last edited: