Bike not running right

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help gents, it's going to be Thursday before I get chance to look into your suggestions.I will let you know how I get on.
On a side note I agree this is a great forum. By far the most friendly and helpful bike forum I am a member of.

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so today is the first time I have had time and the weather to look at the bike. Things had got a lot worse in the intervening time, the odd time I had to use it the front display would flash on and off randomly and rev counter did not work most of the time.

Any way after about 1.5 hours of cleaning corrosion from the connectors leading to the front of the bike and on the main connector on the ECU all would seem good. I also found the reason for a annoying buzz I had, at some point the inside fairing had been removed and not all the fixings put back.

A big THANK YOU for your help :thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With salt, get it off with cold water, compressed air and then you might treat it with another agent for further protection. I wouldn't even use wd40 if I suspect salt is involved. Salt and water have a very natural relationship in our world. Salt is much more soluble with water than anything in a spray can. If salt has entered a connector, rinsing it out with water and drying (compressed air) is probably the first and best step. If you use something that's an oil or petroleum base you have a better chance of sealing the salt in the connector. :D

I've seen this same affect at DIY car washes/cleaning stations whereby the engine degreaser enters the connector (High pressure cleaners can be bad). Over time the chemicals continue to react and break down the conductive path and/or allow other things to grow. Mild dish washing detergent can be helpful followed by lots of water and compressed air to remove and dry it. Treat with dielectric grease once clean and dry.

In this example I'd be looking at the connectors around the coils and injectors as the higher voltages increase break down and cross talk. I mean, who's to say the rest of the system isn't in jeopardy????

Last edited: