Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a H7, H4 set with the regular sized ballasts and a complete OEM headlight assembly. One of the HIDs on the back side of it has a little paint rubbed off where I was trying to clean it. The angel eyes are white and the color is 6000K. The headlight lenses have very fine scratches where I was trying to clean with a polishing cloth before I sealed it. I already drilled the POD holes in the headlight case. It just needs the R1 pods to fit in the hole. There is a scuff on the left inside case from pulling apart the lenses when out of the oven and some screwdriver dents where I pried it open in both corners. I am a bit of a perfectionist and overly critical - others may not find it bothersome. I used my original headlight case and transferred my black painted reflectors, so the headlight case has the normal reflective reflectors.:D Here is a picture of it with my reflectors and HIDs in it before the transfer. Was thinking of selling all of it for $150.00 OBO plus whatever shipping turns into.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what I'm selling since I am getting multiple inquiries. The circle shows the blemish in the finish on the H4 HID. Everything here is unused. I purchased the OEM headlight assembly and upon cleaning the lenses before resealing it, I noticed some fine scratches in them from the cloth I was using. This is very hard to see in the pictures and probably in person, but I am honest and also extremely picky. There is also some scuff marks above the pod light reflector dishes from pulling it apart. This is not very noticeable with the lenses on, but then again I am very picky. There are pre-drilled holes for the 2003 R1 podlights as seen in the picture. The sale is as-is. I have not tested any of this because it is new, but the two HIDs I used from each kit work amazingly well. Hope this answers all questions. BTW....the OEM headlight assembly cost just about what I am asking for everything. Also, you must be very mechanically inclined as well as electrically to do this project.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is where I purchased the Pod lights: OpenDNS

It is line item #5 and is $14.22 for the pair plus shipping from this company. These are what I used and will fit exactly.

htdub

Reaction score
Visit site
You are right ! Both projectors in the kit are the same socket. No side specificity at all. :thumbup:

I bought one H4 kit(2 H4 projectors) ealier and one H7 kit(2 H7 projectors) 2 weeks after.

Sorry, late to the party. But just about to order 2 kits, but reading most of this thread. Don't I just need 1 h7 kit? If i'm taking apart the housing, the the bulbs dont' use the factory bulb connectors. Then a h4 and a h7 isn't really needed. I may be missing something, because I haven't taken apart the bulbs or housing. But dual h7's would give lo/hi on both sides. :don'tknow:\

EDIT

Eer looking at the picture, the housing bulb hole is h4 and h7 specific and i'm assuming the projector needs the right hole to fit properly.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, late to the party. But just about to order 2 kits, but reading most of this thread. Don't I just need 1 h7 kit? If i'm taking apart the housing, the the bulbs dont' use the factory bulb connectors. Then a h4 and a h7 isn't really needed. I may be missing something, because I haven't taken apart the bulbs or housing. But dual h7's would give lo/hi on both sides. :don'tknow:\

EDIT

Eer looking at the picture, the housing bulb hole is h4 and h7 specific and i'm assuming the projector needs the right hole to fit properly.

The main appeal for the H4, H7 kits is the fact that they mount directly into your factory reflector dishes inside the headlight assembly and take care of all the centering/fitting issues. There is one H7 and one H4 reflector dish in your headlight assembly. Unless someone is selling one of each or wants to go in on a set with you, then you will have to buy two kits like I did. However, I did just sell mine and recover some of the extra cost. BTW, the slim ballast does work with these. Good luck!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Jman,

i have a few questions if you don't mind.

1 - it looks like you bought HID bulbs with ballasts in one pack. and then projectors in another pack. were you about to get just projectors or did you have to get projectors with bulbs in them? if you were able to get empty projectors how much did they cost and where did you get them from? so with this package do you have an extra set of bulbs?

2 - how much did the whole package cost you?

3 - how do you have your bike set up to just run the angel eyes? do you run those during the day and then flip a switch to turn on your hi/lo beams? is that legal?

i'm on a budget so i'm trying to price things around and see how much this in total will cost me. and what is the best way to go about getting them. and the angel eyes alone look pretty nice.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i'm going to post up what i know so far. for you guys that have done this before please check my "work" and let me know if i understand all of this correctly.

- pro of doing hids is that they are brighter than stock bulbs
draw about 50 watts less in "hi" mode than the stock bulbs do in "hi" mode
bulbs last longer

- i don't want to just do hids (which i could) without projectors because although they would have the benefit of drawing less power they really wouldn't be any brighter.

- i could take some projectors from a car but with that i would have to fab a way to make them fit and stay in the headlight housing.

- since i don't want to do that i can order a set of the angel eye projects that everyone has been using and not fab anything.

- with some "creative" wiring i will be able to make both sides hi and low. and this would be without bd34's wiring harness - correct?

here's where i have a few questions.
- i could get these but i would still need to order a set of ballasts. oh, and i would have to oder a second set of lights (cause i need an H7 and an H4 set.

- or i could get these and an extra set of projectors/bulbs.

either way i'm going to spend about $150.00 for my projectors, bulbs and ballasts when it's all over with - correct?

as i see it, these are both the same thing and are both acceptable. anything i'm not seeing?

in searching i also saw this set for about $40.00 more (once you factor in shipping). are they worth it? only difference i see is in the ballasts.

i also saw this auction. these look to be bulbs and ballasts only. i wonder if there's any place to get a set of angel eyes (minus the bulbs) for cheaper than the $80.00 plus shipping from china. if there is, is there any reason this would be a better/cheaper route?

thanks for reading and answering. i'm getting excited about doing this mod... even though it will be in late november/early december.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jman,

i have a few questions if you don't mind.

1 - it looks like you bought HID bulbs with ballasts in one pack. and then projectors in another pack. were you about to get just projectors or did you have to get projectors with bulbs in them? if you were able to get empty projectors how much did they cost and where did you get them from? so with this package do you have an extra set of bulbs?

2 - how much did the whole package cost you?

3 - how do you have your bike set up to just run the angel eyes? do you run those during the day and then flip a switch to turn on your hi/lo beams? is that legal?

i'm on a budget so i'm trying to price things around and see how much this in total will cost me. and what is the best way to go about getting them. and the angel eyes alone look pretty nice.

I bought the slim ballast as a kit that came with the extra bulbs. Was not sure if they were going to work so I bought the normal ballasts, too. Since the slim kit worked, I sold the regular ones. The slim ballast kit was 28.45 Euro. The two HID kits cost $158.00 total +shipping. The normal ballasts cost $21.00 + shipping. Bought from NewComDigi: ebay name hiking1978.

I have a switch in series with the low beam wire on the OEM harness. I have not seen anything in Virginia law saying that the headlight has to on during the day. It just says you must have a functional headlight. I drove by cops with only the angel eyes during the day and was not pulled over. If I turn on the high beam switch the HIDs will come on in high beam mode. Hope that answers your questions.:Flash:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i'm going to post up what i know so far. for you guys that have done this before please check my "work" and let me know if i understand all of this correctly.

- pro of doing hids is that they are brighter than stock bulbs
draw about 50 watts less in "hi" mode than the stock bulbs do in "hi" mode
bulbs last longer

- i don't want to just do hids (which i could) without projectors because although they would have the benefit of drawing less power they really wouldn't be any brighter.

- i could take some projectors from a car but with that i would have to fab a way to make them fit and stay in the headlight housing.

- since i don't want to do that i can order a set of the angel eye projects that everyone has been using and not fab anything.

- with some "creative" wiring i will be able to make both sides hi and low. and this would be without bd34's wiring harness - correct?

here's where i have a few questions.
- i could get these but i would still need to order a set of ballasts. oh, and i would have to oder a second set of lights (cause i need an H7 and an H4 set.

- or i could get these and an extra set of projectors/bulbs.

either way i'm going to spend about $150.00 for my projectors, bulbs and ballasts when it's all over with - correct?

as i see it, these are both the same thing and are both acceptable. anything i'm not seeing?

in searching i also saw this set for about $40.00 more (once you factor in shipping). are they worth it? only difference i see is in the ballasts.

i also saw this auction. these look to be bulbs and ballasts only. i wonder if there's any place to get a set of angel eyes (minus the bulbs) for cheaper than the $80.00 plus shipping from china. if there is, is there any reason this would be a better/cheaper route?

thanks for reading and answering. i'm getting excited about doing this mod... even though it will be in late november/early december.

Dean, you are correct with most of what you stated. I would go with the ones for $40.00 more because they include slim ballasts which would take up less space. However, you will still need a second set of HIDs - unless you split two sets with someone - H4 set and H7 set. There is a high beam wire and a low beam wire in your OEM harness plus a common/ground wire. Just run those wires to the high/low beam spots on the controller inputs. Hope that helps.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked at page 393 of the FZ service manual for 2007. Looks like the OEM black wire with the yellow stripe is for lo beam and the black wire with the green stripe is the hi beam wire. You will need to connect the OEM lo beam wire to the white wire (if memory serves) and the OEM hi beam wire to red on the controllers (both of them). The black wire connects to black on the controllers. I picked up the power for the angel eyes from the relay on top of the battery. It is the smaller red wire with a yellow stripe in it (if memory serves).....it gives you 12V, when the key is set to the on position. You can verify it with a DC voltmeter. Looking forward to seeing yours finished.:thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
This might help. This is how I wired hy HID's to have dual low and dual high beams.

HID%20Headlight%20Wiring.jpg

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
thanks guys. you've been a ton of help. i've got this thread saved and will be referring back to it in a month or two.

one other quick question... the slim ballasts... that to me just means skinnier. are they actually smaller? i know the other ones can be tight (i've seen the photos of boneman's fairing with them plus the stebel horn). but if they're just skinnier i'm not sure i'll drop the $40.00 extra.

also jman, where did you mount the switch to turn on your dims? i'm not sure it's something i can do in nc. our headlight law is written differently then yours. ours says that you have to have a headlight on during the day. i would still think this qualifies but i'm no cop.

boneman, how come you don't have anything about this mod on your site? when i started searching to get my info i went there because i knew you had done it. didn't see anything about it except maybe a video with them already in. i thought you had put the info up there. is that just my imagination?

again, thanks guys. i'll be posting more questions in the coming future.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, a couple questions on these kits for those who have them....

1.) What bulb does it use? Is it a 9006 or a true HID bulb (like a D2S). I'm speaking of the bulb, not the housing it can be adapted to.

2.) Can the bulb be replaced if it burns out, or do you have to buy a whole new set (and thus bake the headlights apart again)?

3.) How does the halo work. Is it just a wire that doesn't need to be hooked up if you don't want to run it?

4.) How does the high beam function work? Does the electro-drive move the bulb or some type of reflector plate in front of it?

Thanks for the time,

David

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys. you've been a ton of help. i've got this thread saved and will be referring back to it in a month or two.

one other quick question... the slim ballasts... that to me just means skinnier. are they actually smaller? i know the other ones can be tight (i've seen the photos of boneman's fairing with them plus the stebel horn). but if they're just skinnier i'm not sure i'll drop the $40.00 extra.

also jman, where did you mount the switch to turn on your dims? i'm not sure it's something i can do in nc. our headlight law is written differently then yours. ours says that you have to have a headlight on during the day. i would still think this qualifies but i'm no cop.

boneman, how come you don't have anything about this mod on your site? when i started searching to get my info i went there because i knew you had done it. didn't see anything about it except maybe a video with them already in. i thought you had put the info up there. is that just my imagination?

again, thanks guys. i'll be posting more questions in the coming future.

I just mounted the switch on my front inner fairing with nylon push-on connectors, so it is easy to remove or jumper out.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, a couple questions on these kits for those who have them....

1.) What bulb does it use? Is it a 9006 or a true HID bulb (like a D2S). I'm speaking of the bulb, not the housing it can be adapted to.

2.) Can the bulb be replaced if it burns out, or do you have to buy a whole new set (and thus bake the headlights apart again)?

3.) How does the halo work. Is it just a wire that doesn't need to be hooked up if you don't want to run it?

4.) How does the high beam function work? Does the electro-drive move the bulb or some type of reflector plate in front of it?

Thanks for the time,

David

They are bixenon bulbs and can be replaced separately. You would just pull the rubber boot off the back to access the bulbs. The hi/lo beam AND halo eyes work by using the controllers that come with the HID kit previously mentioned. You plug in your OEM headlight connectors into the controllers. Boneman has some very nice wiring diagrams if you do not have the service manual. You must supply 12v and ground to the controllers for the angel eyes as well. Hope that answered your questions.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

Yeah for some reason the link on the Mods page disapeared. I fixed it.

http://www.bonemanfz6.com/Mods/mod_hid.htm