Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed

got my stuff today.

one quick question. boneman, i know you said you attached your ballasts with industrial velcro. where would i get something like that? will it be obvious and say "industrial strength velcro"? what have you other guys used to attach your ballasts?

kinda freaks me out to think of my ballasts just hanging there. i want to be like Red Greene and go crazy with some duck tape.

thanks guys.

I just went to Home Depot. I don't think it specifically says "Industrial" on it. I know 3M makes a stronger version of velcro that would also work well.

I can tell you this, my ballasts havent moved an inch since I put them on with the velcro!! Rock solid.

Good luck Dean! Keep us posted.

Would love to hear how others mounted their ballasts!

Last edited:
ok, i have the fairing off (which btw took much longer than i had planned). i think i'm ready to put the headlight assembly in the oven. just have a few questions.

there are 4 bolts and two screws on the back of the assembly that i can't get out. i'm assuming these are to help aim the headlights and don't come out. is that correct? and therefore it's safe to leave them in while the HLA bakes?

did you guys just put the HLA on the rack in your oven or on a cookie sheet or something? i'm afraid of putting it on just the rack and getting lines melted into the HLA.

dumb question but did you guys use oven mitts when you took it out and took it apart? i'm guessing 200 degrees is pretty warm. :rolleyes: i'm worried about getting oven mitt patterns stuck in the HLA.

i don't know if you can tell, but i'm a little leery of sticking this thing in the oven.

ok, i have the fairing off (which btw took much longer than i had planned). i think i'm ready to put the headlight assembly in the oven. just have a few questions.

there are 4 bolts and two screws on the back of the assembly that i can't get out. i'm assuming these are to help aim the headlights and don't come out. is that correct? and therefore it's safe to leave them in while the HLA bakes?

did you guys just put the HLA on the rack in your oven or on a cookie sheet or something? i'm afraid of putting it on just the rack and getting lines melted into the HLA.

dumb question but did you guys use oven mitts when you took it out and took it apart? i'm guessing 200 degrees is pretty warm. :rolleyes: i'm worried about getting oven mitt patterns stuck in the HLA.

i don't know if you can tell, but i'm a little leery of sticking this thing in the oven.

If memory serves, I had three bolts for each reflector for aiming. I left those on. I used a cookie sheet and 205 at 25 minutes. I used leather gloves to pull them apart. Screw drivers will mark up the plastic in a hurry.

I think it's 2 bolts for aiming and 2 for mounting (4 total). The aiming ones don't come out, they just turn, and turn....and turn...

Yup, cookie sheet and in for 20min ish. I used a flat blade screw driver to carefully pry at the seal and then bare hands to pop the lens off. The plastic gets warm (not overly hot) and oven gloves won't leave any marks or patterns on the lenses. 200deg isn't that hot and the plastic is no where near it's melting point. You are basically just warming up the glue.

I know you have the 06, and I'm not sure if your headlight assembly is all that different - but mine had two hex head and one phillps head screws/bolts for each reflector. I had to back those all the way out of the reflectors to get them out of the headlight assembly. I did this after it came out of the oven and the clear lens covers were pulled off.

one more quick thing... anyone have wiring instructions that you can scan and email me? mine don't have any. although i'm decent with electronics and could most likely guess most of it, i'd like to make sure. thanks.

one more quick thing... anyone have wiring instructions that you can scan and email me? mine don't have any. although i'm decent with electronics and could most likely guess most of it, i'd like to make sure. thanks.

Don't have mine anymore, but if you want throw up some pics of what you have - I'm sure it would be easy to help at that point.

got my stuff today.

one quick question. boneman, i know you said you attached your ballasts with industrial velcro. where would i get something like that? will it be obvious and say "industrial strength velcro"? what have you other guys used to attach your ballasts?

kinda freaks me out to think of my ballasts just hanging there. i want to be like Red Greene and go crazy with some duck tape.

thanks guys.

I used 3M Dual-Lock to attach my ballasts to the sides of the fairing. It's the same stuff that the Laminar Lip folks sent to attach their lip to the windscreen. This stuff grips much stronger than Velcro and has a VHB (Very High Bond) Adhesive backing. A little more expensive, but I really didn't want my ballasts breaking free ...

3M CLEAR DUAL LOCK VHB TYPE 250 1"W X 6FT. ROLL - eBay (item 400080628076 end time Oct-28-09 23:50:26 PDT)

Ask and ye shall receive! Hope you like 'chinglish'....
Left one is the H4, right one is the H7

I've posted this before, but here's how I did my final wiring for dual lo-dual high:

HID%20Headlight%20Wiring.jpg

Last edited:
as you'll be able to tell from this next question, i'm moving at half the speed of smell on this mod.

i'm curious about putting the lenses back on the HLA. i bought my projectors from someone on this site after they had already done the mod. i have two tubes of sealant. one was opened and one was not. i assumed the guy i bought them from just sent me what he hadn't used (which is most of the tube). but i got curious and opened the other tube. they are both grey but two different shades. i'm wondering if i'm supposed to mix the two like a JB Weld type of deal or simply use the one tube.

hoping to have all this done tomorrow.:D

The kit I got came in a slightly different box, but the contents look exactly the same as the ones posted. Came with 2 tubes of sealant.

It will be a nice nest of wires.

Forgot to pickup some industrial velcro stuff, black paint and forgot about the pod lights, DOH.

May have to postpone the install until next weekend. :spank:

getting ready to start hooking up wires. just a few quick questions.

- as part of this project i'm hooking up some pod lights. i plan on using solderless connectors. i'm going to hook them straight into the turn signals. i'm going the route of hooking them into the blue and green/blue and brown wires so they will act as running lights and turn signals.

- out of my HID controller i have a black wire and a red wire that have exposed ends. i'm assuming these are my angel eye wires. with the above info do you see any problem hooking my angel eyes directly into my running lights?
** if that's fine to do could you tell me which wire is the running light? is it the blue one or the brown/green one?

- there are two wires that have circle connectors on the end of them.
** i'm assuming one is negative. where did y'all attach it? i was wondering if i could attach it where the HLA gets screwed to the fairing stay?
** i'm assuming the long one that has a fuse attached to it is the positive and needs to get run to the battery. did y'all run it straight to the battery? did y'all cut off some of the length?

any other info you want to throw in there will be appreciated.

getting ready to start hooking up wires. just a few quick questions.

- as part of this project i'm hooking up some pod lights. i plan on using solderless connectors. i'm going to hook them straight into the turn signals. i'm going the route of hooking them into the blue and green/blue and brown wires so they will act as running lights and turn signals.

- out of my HID controller i have a black wire and a red wire that have exposed ends. i'm assuming these are my angel eye wires. with the above info do you see any problem hooking my angel eyes directly into my running lights?
** if that's fine to do could you tell me which wire is the running light? is it the blue one or the brown/green one?

** i'm assuming one is negative. where did y'all attach it? i was wondering if i could attach it where the HLA gets screwed to the fairing stay?
** i'm assuming the long one that has a fuse attached to it is the positive and needs to get run to the battery. did y'all run it straight to the battery? did y'all cut off some of the length?

any other info you want to throw in there will be appreciated.

Dean, you are correct about the angel eye wires. I hooked mine up to the starter relay that sits on top of the battery. Pod lights will work fine if you are not using LED lights. If you are, then you will need a couple of load resistors. Black wire is usually ground/chassis. I ran my controller wires directly across the battery. There was a spot on the fairing stay that I used for a couple of grounds(may have been the angel eyes). You can cut off some length (I did).

If you want two wire to function as three wire, you have to use a relay as is outlined on Boneman's website under Watsen Flush mount installation. You can't just wire the constant (blue) and the flasher (green/brown) together and expect the 12VDC to play nice together.

This diagram will outline what I mean.
LED%20wiring.jpg

Blue is constant power and, yes, that is what you need to wire the Angel Eyes power to.

I ran all my grounds into a single wire of larger gauge and put a new ring terminal on it, ran it through the frame to the battery negative. I did the same to both HID positives (ran to a single wire and to the battery) only positive terminal instead of course.

I would avoid going solderless as the connection on a butt connection is less than optimal and should a butt connection come loose and you lose headlights, that could spell disaster. Solder will rarely fail.

I only use crimp connections when doing male/female quick disconnects or ring terminals.

Hope this helps.

Back