Cheapo dual H4 HIDs Bulbs

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
As many of you will be aware, I love to mod my FZ6, but I like to do it as cheaply as possible. I've been mostly lucky so far. I was one of the first to buy the cheap adjustable levers and they've lasted me years with no issues. I bought Scorpion end-cans as they were the cheapest and they've been great. I did buy some really cheap and horrible risers and they sucked, but I replaced them with some middle-range risers and was much happier. I bought a cheap LED integrated tail-light and it's lasted me really well for ages.

So, I want to improve my lighting. I'm currently using Philips X-Treme power bulbs with the BD43 mod and they are good, but my eyesight isn't great even with glasses and I'd like an upgrade. The wife won't let me spend a lot of money on the bike - especially as it's getting a bit old now so I'm looking for cheap HID bulbs. I know projectors are best, but I ride my bike to work every day and don't want to risk putting the headlights in the oven!

I know that most of you will recommend I buy £100+ HID projectors, but please listen when I say I'm not willing/allowed to spend that much! :)

I've found amazing deals on AliExpress (I'm sure some of you will recommend against using that site as well, but I've bought loads of things from it and had no issues as long as I use reputable sellers, so please no advice against that either).

I've found three decent looking dual H4 Bi-Xenon bulb sets here, here and here. They all are pretty similar, but if anyone has any advice or similarly priced alternatives I would be glad to hear any advice you have to give.

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Badly done HID's can blind other drivers - most folks are having a tough time reading the email and txting and being blinded by bright lights might cause them to run into you. This winter I have seen a number of really bad headlights - real bright and throwing light everywhere but doubt any more is on the road. I have read some good things about LED bulbs. Cycle gear has them on sale for about $60 each right now. I have one and am going to put it in when I get the time to sort out the cover over the back.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed an HID for the low beam on my FZ6, no dual headlight mod. I don't think the dual headlight mod is a good idea because the right headlight is designed as a high beam and has a reflector that is aimed for that purpose. The low beam with an HID bulb alone is more than enough. The left side is designed as a solo low beam and does a great job with a sufficient light source.

I am going to go with an LED for my high beam, because frequent switching on and off reallllly does not suit an HID bulb, I think at this point if you're going to upgrade and use both head lights you should go with dual projectors.

FWIW this is my thread link

and a pic of my HID low beam:
fKkjwlB.jpg

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
You're doing exactly what I asked not to do in the OP guys. I'm not interested in people telling me what I'm doing isn't the right thing. I'm interested in useful advice on cheap dual H4 HID bulb options.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
The best cheap HID kits i've used are from ddmtuning.com. Lifetime warranty, and their prices can't be beat. My brother has had to warranty-replace a couple ballasts over the years, but I never had a problem with them in my cars. They have their new ULTRA kits now that are supposed to be even better quality ballasts and bulbs for an extra $20 or so.

The ONLY problem is that their H4 kits do not appear to be hi/lo, only low beam. So, you could buy an H4 low kit to throw 3x more light out, then leave a regular bulb in the High Beam housing. I would also recommend re-aiming your low beam after putting an HID kit in it. Using HID in a reflector housing isn't "recommended," but I've done it in a couple of my cars and as long as you take the time to aim the beam a little down after installation, I never got flashed at and still enjoyed the extra light.

Also, for bikes, I would recommend a 35W HID kit as 55W creates much more heat and bike headlight housings are smaller, less space for heat dissipation, etc.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The best cheap HID kits i've used are from ddmtuning.com. Lifetime warranty, and their prices can't be beat. My brother has had to warranty-replace a couple ballasts over the years, but I never had a problem with them in my cars. They have their new ULTRA kits now that are supposed to be even better quality ballasts and bulbs for an extra $20 or so.

The ONLY problem is that their H4 kits do not appear to be hi/lo, only low beam. So, you could buy an H4 low kit to throw 3x more light out, then leave a regular bulb in the High Beam housing. I would also recommend re-aiming your low beam after putting an HID kit in it. Using HID in a reflector housing isn't "recommended," but I've done it in a couple of my cars and as long as you take the time to aim the beam a little down after installation, I never got flashed at and still enjoyed the extra light.

Also, for bikes, I would recommend a 35W HID kit as 55W creates much more heat and bike headlight housings are smaller, less space for heat dissipation, etc.
Useful info. Thanks. Interesting to see how similar the ballasts look to some of those I was looking at. Looks like they have a hi/low option you can choose for $20 extra that I assume adds in the solenoids to move the bulb back and forwards.