Best way to Buell Conversion

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone in the StreetFighter forum!

This winter I'm hoping to get my naked conversion completed (2004 FZ6) so I can ride a brand new bike in the spring. :rockon:

I've messaged a few members already and have gotten some general information about part numbers that I will need, and I've searched around the forum for threads on the topic, which were helpful, but I just need a little more direction before I start ordering parts and potentially running into issues.

To start, my understanding is that I will need:

-Buell headlight assembly - (Y0421.1ADA)
-Headlight mounting bracket(s) - (M0645.1ADA)
-Windscreen - (M1600.1ACMW)
-Speedo mounting bracket (probably custom)

What I'm unsure of is the wiring for the headlights. I've read a bit about it, and read that it really isn't too bad, but I'm hesitant to just start hacking into the wiring harness.

*As a side note, I would like to retain my dual headlight mod when I switch to the Buell headlight. I figure the process is somewhat similar and that I just need to wire the low beam on the right headlight to the green lead that I already have in the wiring harness.

I'm also unsure on the headlight mounting. I contacted a member recently and he told me that he used "43mm STREETFIGHTER II SLOTTED HEADLIGHT BRACKET KIT" from flyncycle.com, but they don't seem to stock this item anymore. I figure any set of 43mm clamps can be made to work, but if anyone has advice on a clamp set which doesn't require much modding, I would greatly appreciate that.

I also have the part numbers listed above. I'm not sure if those are actually what I need (since every site I look on doesn't have pictures of them). I would love to be able to see the parts before I ordered them so I could at least have some idea of how they would fit together.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No help on the actual fitment of the PNs listed, but throw them into fleebay and often times you find matches. Just read the details. As for the lighting and wiring other than it long length it should be pretty straight forward.
Me personally if i were to do some swapping itd be for more visible light output (think HID). But thats just me!

Anyway, once you get the harness out of the fairing and laid out it will ease you mind. In this album is a few pictures inside the 08 fairing. http://www.600riders.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1339 Good luck!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Thus far in my riding, approx. 1600 miles, I haven't had issues with visibility using the stock headlights (using the dual headlight mod). I figure I'll get 55/60W dominators to start. If they're comparable like you guys say, then I won't have much of an issue. I can always change to HID's down the road.

That said, I've done a bit of looking on eBay and I'm watching some items. I may go ahead and purchase them soon so I can work on the bike over thanksgiving break (I'm at school otherwise).

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not cut any wiring. The appropriate male H4 and H7 adaptors are available to make it a plug-n-play hookup. It is also reversible, should you decide to sell it.

This space intentionally left blank.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a few parts yesterday, but I'm still at school and probably won't be able to do any work until Thanksgiving break (which might mean snow anyway).

But I went ahead an grabbed a set of clear-lens dual filament turn signals for the front (should match the clear ones I have in the back).

I ordered a set of Dominator headlights and mounting hardware from eBay.

I ordered the Midnight Black windscreen from Surdyke (which seems to be a Harley parts site).

And hopefully a member on this forum will have one of the round-speedo mounting brackets available. Worst case is that I just make one of my own with a fellow I work with.

But either way, things should be in the mail, and I'll post some pictures when I finally get around to working on the bike.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a few parts yesterday, but I'm still at school and probably won't be able to do any work until Thanksgiving break (which might mean snow anyway).

But I went ahead an grabbed a set of clear-lens dual filament turn signals for the front (should match the clear ones I have in the back).

I ordered a set of Dominator headlights and mounting hardware from eBay.

I ordered the Midnight Black windscreen from Surdyke (which seems to be a Harley parts site).

And hopefully a member on this forum will have one of the round-speedo mounting brackets available. Worst case is that I just make one of my own with a fellow I work with.

But either way, things should be in the mail, and I'll post some pictures when I finally get around to working on the bike.

Where did you order the buell headlight and brackets from?

This space intentionally left blank.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Got those off of eBay.

This is the kit I got: Clicky here!

I may or may not use that mounting hardware (and I'm thinking I will need new bulbs as well), but I chose that kit because it was a 55/60 watt kit. I had found another kit that was only 35 watts.