bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

timberwolf211

Reaction score
Visit site
I do have one other question. I understand that when complete you have both low beams working. But when you go from low to high do both elements light at there higher wattage? Or did I miss something?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
only the right side goes into high beam (H4 dual filament), and the left side remains low beam (H7 single low beam filament). With the mod, I haven't the need to flick into HI since I'm getting of plenty of light output after the dual headlight mod. Again, thanks to b_d43.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the headlight mod from BikerDude a few weeks ago but just couldnt find time to get it fitted. Took it with me on my first service and they agreed to put it in for me as the airbox would apparantly be coming out any way.

The did not charge me as they said they didnt have to do much as the cable from BikerDude was so good!! Pretty much plug 'n play.

Thanks again!!

Warren

Hey Warren, thanks for the feedback. I think this is a cool story because a dealership didn't have reservations doing the hookup. I always wondered what their reaction would be. :thumbup:

Apollo

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just completed the headlight mod utilizing BD's wire loom............Thanks alot for doing this BD, it is a great mod.

Now to share my embarassing moments with everyone in a attempt to save others from having to do it TWICE like I did LMAO.......:eek:

I whipped through the mod as I am rather adept at working on my bike (ya right). I get all the way to adding the wire to the headlight and cant figure out which side to add it to. Everyone said the RIGHT headlight, so I am standing there thinking the right as you look at it or the right as your sitting on it LOLOLOL........

I finally figure it must be the right as your sitting on it due to that headlight being the only one with a extra plug on it. I get it all set and as usual put it together only so far that I can test it (battery in etc)......I turn the key and BOOM no light on low beam, no light on high beam, NO HEADLIGHTS AT ALL.......everything else works but no headlights........GRRRRRRR

I take the plug out of the headlight and take the wire out (not easy) and am going to try it on the OTHER RIGHT lol.......get that apart and realize thats just not possible. So I tear the airbox and battery back out to look at the plug thinking I have it in the wrong spot or not plugged in fully. NOPE all is well with the plug.

So my wife is helping me do this by holding a flashlight and realizes that it is the perfect time to exit stage left as I am getting mad.........

I take a time out and jump on the internet intending to look for the location of the fuses to check them. Im cruising the internet highway and come acrossed a bit of info stating that the headlights WILL NOT COME ON unless the bike is started. DUHHHHHHH

Being the airhead I can be sometimes I never took notice of this little tidbit of info. Out I go back to the garage and put it all back together AGAIN like it was the first time. Plug in the tank and start it up.............And I get two shiny lights looking back at me!!!!!!!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Success is a wonderful thing. Anyone doing this mod that wants to test it take my advice and START the BIKE LOL...........

Ok Ok I will take the dunce award for the week...............**goes walking off to the corner*****

Snaggs

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my 08' FZ6 about a month ago and got tired of people telling me I had a headlight out. I thought I can make that cable, follow the directions, etc. Well 3 hours and 6 auto parts stores later I came up with nothing. At that point, I came home logged in here and asked bd34 to set me up with a cable.

I ordered it and before I knew it, it showed up in the mail a few days later. It sat there a couple days and I had 2 more comments about the headlight being out. So tonight I stripped it down and put the wire in.

First let me say, any of you considering doing the wire and ends yourself, it's easier to just get the cable. It's a perfect fit and very professionally done. Took me about 40 mins to complete as I had trouble getting to one of the airbox hose clamps. Other than that it was a perfect fit. The bike looks so much better with two lights on. Hopefully this puts an end to the "hey did you know you got a headlight out" I keep hearing.

Excellent job bd43 and great directions. Thanks so much!

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Re: Dual Headlight Perfection

I've just received and installed biker_dude43's dual headlight harness. Thanks Daryl. Great piece of work. Very tidily made, looks like it's factory wiring when installed. Took me an hour to install once I had the right tools. Had to go out and buy a long 4mm hex-key for the clamp around the throttle body. It needs to be at least 130mm long. It was my first time taking off the airbox. Not difficult at all, don't let it stop you doing the mod. If you're experienced with removing the airbox/ battery/ cover then you'll have it done even quicker.
No cables have to be cut, spliced, or soldered.
My bike is the UK 2007 S2 and the harness connectors fit perfectly.

I ordered the cable and it came in a few days. Installed it tonight. Maybe took 1Hr. Was really easy. Anyone could do this.

Not sure why Yamaha did not do it in the first place!

You dont need this tool. The clamps on the throttle bodys do not have to be touched. It is not even mentioned in the service manual.

Just pull off the three hoses on the backside, then the one hose on the right side (put this one on first when putting back) . Undo the bolts and pull up on the air box, it will pop right off, and just push it back over the thottle body.

Thanks BD43! Awesome mod and great professionally made cable!

cjhudson101

Reaction score
Visit site
I order the harness a couple of weeks ago, I was too busy tooling around with the woman to get it installed.

I FINALLY installed the harness today, worked like a charm... I was a little worried that I hadn't hooked something up right when I turned the ignition on and neither light was turning on.

Once I had the tank hooked back up and actually started her up both lights were on.

Great fabrication, and good instructions.

Thanks for your contribution to the community.

--Chris

Alpine

Reaction score
Visit site
Mad Props to BD43 for another successful mod. I did not even bother to time it as I knew my anxiety level would rise in direct proportion to the number of parts on my garage floor. In honor of your wiring harness, and fantastic directions, I donated to this site today. Personal thanks are coming via the post office :thumbup:

Many Thanks to BD43 and everyone else here who have taught me so much about my bike.

tshields

Reaction score
Visit site
For the time and effort it takes to set up your own wiring harness . . . save it and order from BD43 (while he's still making them). Very slick mod.

Many thanks to BD43 for his time. :thumbup:

P.S. Why splice into a wire when yamaha has to connector ready to go!!

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my bd43 wiring harness yesterday. I installed it today and it only took 1.75 hrs, this was with me taking time to check everything out once I lifted the tank due to this being my first time lifting it. I also enlisted the expert help of my 2 1/2 year old, this would have easily taken less than an hour if I had lifted the tank before or been doing it myself but I try and let my son help with things whenever I get a chance and he had a blast. Once I got everything back together both lights worked exactly as they were suppose to. Thanks bd43 for making such a great product and sharing it with the rest of us.

fazerfred

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a wire from Biker Dude as made in part 1 today. Took 5 days to get from Canada to Scotland which is good going in my book. I am not the best mechanic in the world but only took an hour to fit and followed the instructions with ease in a cold dark garage on a rainy Scottish night. What a difference it makes!:thumbup: The best mod I have ever done to a bike and may just save my life. Well done biker dude, great job.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Did this mod 2-3 weeks ago. Worked like a charm. For those sitting on the fence - order BDs wire (before he stops making them). It's easy to do with the instructions on here and they also come with the wire. Quality is fantastic. No way anyone would ever guess it's not stock (except maybe that the quality is better than most of the stock wiring on our bikes).

I also discovered that one of the bolts holding on my battery box was stripped and just sitting loose in the hole. Thankfully it was only a bad/defective bolt and not the weird fixed nut thingy it goes into, so a quick trip to the hardware store and all was right again.

If you can look at pictures and read well enough to read this sentence you can do this mod.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Did this mod 2-3 weeks ago. Worked like a charm. For those sitting on the fence - order BDs wire (before he stops making them). It's easy to do with the instructions on here and they also come with the wire. Quality is fantastic. No way anyone would ever guess it's not stock (except maybe that the quality is better than most of the stock wiring on our bikes).

I also discovered that one of the bolts holding on my battery box was stripped and just sitting loose in the hole. Thankfully it was only a bad/defective bolt and not the weird fixed nut thingy it goes into, so a quick trip to the hardware store and all was right again.

If you can look at pictures and read well enough to read this sentence you can do this mod.

+1 buy the cable , I have done two bikes now with his cable. Pure Quality!