bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

rgmr250

Reaction score
Visit site
Responding to a bit of an older thread...

Just to clarify my own thoughts. I just picked up a 2004 FZ6. You'd need to do this mod (so that the low-beam filament turns off when the high-beam is on) to take the extra 55W load off the stator, correct? Seems the stator is a little underpowered? I currently have an HID H7 in the left/lo-beam and an H4 LED in the right/hi-beam side. Since the HID uses less power than a halogen, and the LED uses WAY less, I'm thinking it's safe to just interconnect the H7 power lead to the H4 lo-beam lead (that's missing in the stock connector) and I'll have dual low beams. When on high beam, I'll have the H7, plus the lo and high of the H4 LED. I shouldn't have any power issues, since the LED is using substantially less power than the Halogen and heat shouldn't be an issue - the H4 LED is a fanless design with the passive heatsink - braided steel 'tails' for heat dissipation.

Any thoughts contradictory to what I'm thinking, just in case I've missed something?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the bike does NOT have ample extra electrical power, thus the "one eye".

The mod gives you both low beams and when switching to HB, kills that bulb LB thru the factory harness...

As for your mods, IDK..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your use is different than most...
The OEM configuration powers the left side LB element all the time the engine is running and never turns off even when the HB's are turned on. Thus a dual element bulb can and will overheat if both elements are driven at the same time.

This thread is dedicated to correcting that problem by offering a switched low beam source that toggles on/off with the oem switch.

Post up if you need more info!

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
He doesn't check in as often these days...but I sent him a message too. Hope he'll see it in the next day or 2.

I think he has an email address around here somewhere. Use that, I tried messaging him here with no answer but sent him an email and he got back to me pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lopezius

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at a lot of different posts regarding the dual headlight mod and I pretty much used Gand's headlight mod but instead of splicing into the wire coming from the left headlight I spliced into the wire coming from the hi/lo selector. Just spliced into it a little further away from the selector so it was out of rhe way and I was done.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at a lot of different posts regarding the dual headlight mod and I pretty much used Gand's headlight mod but instead of splicing into the wire coming from the left headlight I spliced into the wire coming from the hi/lo selector. Just spliced into it a little further away from the selector so it was out of rhe way and I was done.

As long as the other filament goes OFF when the other is on, your good.

Otherwise, your running two filments in one bulb which shortens the life of the bulb, burns more watts and could potentially damage your headlight/wiring.. Not good...

Johnny P

Reaction score
Visit site
Just dropped the harness in and it rocks!!!! Thanks BD!!! Took about two hours; the biggest slow down was removing the air hose to the air box on the right side and figuring out the air box could just be pulled to the rear (cause you think "how the hell is the thing secured?" ...). Once that was done it was smooth sailing, great directions. No more head light out, thanks again! JP

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
Did this today in preparation for my naked conversion! It worked an absolute treat and now it means I'll have low and high beam working seperately. Thanks for the great guide!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk