bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my wire harness from bd43 tonight and have installed it. The instructions were great and the install went very smooth. I would say the install took about an hour and took 1.5 hours to remove and re-install the dang airbox. If it wasn't for the airbox, I could have gone for a ride tonight.........GREAT PRODUCT though!!!

irishstout

Reaction score
Visit site
I received Daryl's wire harness for my 2004 FZ6 on Friday and everything installed smoothly today. Excellent product Daryl and great instructions!!!! I also installed a battery tender and new battery since I had everything taken apart. Now I also can keep a charge between rides. :)

I would highly recommend this harness to anyone that has considered this!

It wasn't difficult to install especially with the great instructions, but I would make sure you have the following:

5/32 & 3/16 Hex Wrenches. **You need the 5/32 to be at least 4/14" or longer to get to the bolts for the airbox and a good eye.

Phillips head screwdriver

Long Nose (curved if possible) pliers for the hose connections on the airbox

Bungee cord to hold the tank (make sure there is less than 1/2 tank of gas as well to prevent overflow)

10mm socket wrench (with extension)

If you have all of these items, it shouldn't take much longer than an hour max.

Good luck and safe riding!

:Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I received Daryl's wire harness for my 2004 FZ6 on Friday and everything installed smoothly today. Excellent product Daryl and great instructions!!!! I also installed a battery tender and new battery since I had everything taken apart. Now I also can keep a charge between rides. :)

I would highly recommend this harness to anyone that has considered this!

It wasn't difficult to install especially with the great instructions, but I would make sure you have the following:

5/32 & 3/16 Hex Wrenches. **You need the 5/32 to be at least 4/14" or longer to get to the bolts for the airbox and a good eye.

Phillips head screwdriver

Long Nose (curved if possible) pliers for the hose connections on the airbox

Bungee cord to hold the tank (make sure there is less than 1/2 tank of gas as well to prevent overflow)

10mm socket wrench (with extension)

If you have all of these items, it shouldn't take much longer than an hour max.

Good luck and safe riding!

:Sport:
Its Great isn't it. I am amazed at the difference it has made with night time riding.

Nelly

bond2penny

Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to add what a great mod this is, with brill instructions, made up the harness and fitted Sat afternoon and had it fitted and back together by dinner,

Many Thanks

:D

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
I need help with removal of battery box!The two bolts that are holding it wont come of!!!I'm turning them and nothing!I'm trying to get to the connectors to instal BD harnes.Anybody experienced the same problem?Its a brand new bike,just bought it couple of months ago!Any ideas how to remove them?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Goran;

I'm not sure what to say since I did mine before winter. It should just counter-clockwise spin right off. These are metric bolts so you are using metric sockets? The reason why I ask is if you are using imperial sockets it might seem to fit over the bolt initially, but when you add some torque to turn them, the socket is just rounding the bolt heads a little and turn around them instead of turning the bolt itself.

watermark.php

In the above picture, the battery box bolt is the one just above the same one in my hand. The hole to the right of the bolt is for the cap of the battery box, I think.

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
No.i've tried several different sockets,that's not the problem.I was turning the bolts and i could feel quite resistance but they were not going anywhere! I dont know whats underneath that plastic and what the bottom part looks like.I tried unscrewing the bolts on the sides that are holding the same part thinking i could take the whole thing out but it's stuck,like its glued from underneath! i know it's wierd i have a problem with both bolts,i would think that who ever put them on used too much force and now when im turning them im actualy turning the bottom part as well which is i assume implemented in the plastic.Any ideas,i'm out of them! Excuse my spelling,english is my second language!
By the way,excelent product,very well made!!!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a picture of what lies underneath.

watermark.php

It's like a blind nut recessed into the plastic or frame. Judging by the length of the bolt, it is possible that you may have applied too much pressure pushing down on the socket as you loosened it thereby pushing the blind nut downward and out of it's slot so once it clears the frame, it's now just spinning in mid air. Is the bolt loose and able to move up and down a little? If this is the case then lift bolt with fingers while turning. When the blind nut gets into alignment with its slot, you should see more bolt exposed. Pull up until you have good resistance and undo the bolt the rest of the way by hand. All I can think of at the moment. Try that.

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish it was loose!Who ever put this together use too much torque...I'll give it a try again tomorrow.I cam't belive they did that to both bolts! Thank you for trying to help!

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
My solution to the problem!It was impossible to take the bolt off cause the nut that is implemented in the plastic part underneath was spinning together with the bolt so i had to cut the plastic around the bolts:
When i put it back i used the soldering gun to melt the plastic and glue the parts together! Best i could do!
BY the way i finished installing bd43's 07 dual headlight harnes and it works great!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
By coincidence, I installed BD's wire loom yesterday also. I, fortunately, didn't have the spining nut problem but, as I was taking the battery out, both nuts fell out (this is when I learned about the loose 2 nuts underneath). It took a good 10 minutes or so to locate one of them. Once I did that I extracted it with a telescopic magnet. One sure is a lot more familiar with the FZ6 after having done the installation, huh? Now, if somebody points at my headlight I'LL KNOW THAT IT MUST BE OUT! (or do people say "Hey, aren't one of your headlights normally be out?")

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I completed this mod over the weekend. Everything went smoothly, except for getting at the clamps that go over the throttle bodies. The outside throttle bodies were easy, the middle ones had the clamps turned so I could not get my allen wrench in there. I spent THREE HOURS trying to get at these things so I could remove the air box. I finally got them loose after much cussing. The rest went smoothly, and I had everything back together in less than an hour.

The beam pattern is much better, I can actually see the right (ditch) side of the road. I still think for a modern bike the headlights suck. My old '81 Honda with a 9" single round light lit up more of the road, and has a much better beam pattern, especially on high beam. So far the mucky beam pattern of the FZ6 is my only gripe, and BD43's mod makes it even liveable. I highly recomend this modification, it is simple and BD43's instructions and harness are excellent. Actually if you had to make your own harness, it would not be that hard to do, as it looks more complicated than it really is.

haasfam

Reaction score
Visit site
I was finally able to drive the bike enough to empty the gas tank so I could do this mod. It is awesome!!! It took me a little over an hour to do it (would have been so much faster but the air filter case was a pain to get back on). Anyways, it looks awesome and the cable looks very professional. Thanks Daryl!!!:)

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Found a source for pins. I tried going the Dremel route, but it wasn't pretty. Knew I should have taken shop in high school!

I picked up a Metra car stereo harness (AT-WHTY2) for Toyota at the auto parts store. The pins are fairly easy to release from the connector. There are probably 15 of them in the connector so you have a few to practice with. I was able to uncrimp the existing wire and solder my headlight wire in place. It snapped right in to the Yamaha connector.

Great mod Biker_dude!

Hey first post!

FZ6 is first bike too!

SHinNH

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got done doing the mod, and I must say that it wasnt that hard to do, now that I have done it once. Of course being new to motorcycles and such, it was a little wierd taking apart my brand new bike.

Thanks for the great wire kit... it popped in like a breeze...

Thanks
Scott

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished mod 10 minutes ago. Everything was exactly as post says. Instead saying what went right I'll just say what was a problem:

DISASSEMBLY

* pin was b$tch to make (envy anyone who could buy or get factory pin)
* clamps on air intakes where holding box down snugly

ASSEMBLY

* Had to file and trim pin several times before it went into socket properly
* Bought new Silverstar H4 bulbs. Spent a lot of time trimming a metal forming a skirt socket around a bulb
* Final plug for the RH low beam was smaller than socket needs. When I bent it a bit bigger it didn't go into socket any more. Locking pin in the socket didn't allow terminal to go in either. Had to install terminal the other way and stuff something so it doesn't get pushed backwards when connected onto RH bulb
* Dropped one of the small clamps on the air box outlets below the air box. Wow how many wires, links, inlets, outlets and gizmos are there. Could not find clamp for 10 minutes. Hopefully retrieved it by small telescopic magnet

That was it.

Zack

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got BD43's "BD43-DLBH" wire harness in the mail!! It looks very professional, great job BD!

I think I'm as excited to install this as Wavex is to get his new headlight on!

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my harness yesterday in the mail and installed it today! WOW, this is professional. The harness is beautifully crafted and the instructions are perfect. It took me 1hr, 15min total with no problems. I didn't experience any airbox hose or battery nut issues.

One thing that took it from difficult to super easy is the gas tank. According to the manual, removal of the tank involves pumping out all of the gas, then removing the tank completely. I would have done this if I hadn't seen BD's pictures from his install. We don't need to remove the tank completely, just get it out of the way so that we can get to the airbox and battery. With BD's method, you remove the two front nuts that hold the tank to the frame but leave the rear bolt in. Using that bolt like a hinge, flip the tank up and then secure it vertically and it's totally out of the way. The advantage is that you don't need a completely empty tank as you can leave the hoses connected.

This fast and cheap upgrade makes a world of difference in visibility at night! And you would not belive how much faster my red one is now:rockon:

Many thanks BD!!!