bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OneTrack;

I'm glad the mod worked out for you! That looks great.:thumbup: It would be interesting to see how far back in years this wire harness is good for or how the UK boys will make out, hopefully next week.

Service manual for 2004 through to 2006 seem to show the same switch connector configuration so I would think this would be good for all years. We'll have to see.

I think it took about 15 minutes for me to remove my airbox and battery to get to the connector. Did you have any problems in this area?

midnightfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Dual Headlight Perfection

I've just received and installed biker_dude43's dual headlight harness. Thanks Daryl. Great piece of work. Very tidily made, looks like it's factory wiring when installed. Took me an hour to install once I had the right tools. Had to go out and buy a long 4mm hex-key for the clamp around the throttle body. It needs to be at least 130mm long. It was my first time taking off the airbox. Not difficult at all, don't let it stop you doing the mod. If you're experienced with removing the airbox/ battery/ cover then you'll have it done even quicker.
No cables have to be cut, spliced, or soldered.
My bike is the UK 2007 S2 and the harness connectors fit perfectly.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
OneTrack;
I think it took about 15 minutes for me to remove my airbox and battery to get to the connector. Did you have any problems in this area?

The only "mod" I had done on my bike prior to installing the harness was the FE kit, so removing the inner fairings, tank, airbox and battery/battery box was a first timer for me. Now that I've done it once, it'll be much easier and quicker next time if I want to get at the same area again (and I'm sure I will....;) )
Once the "order" of disassembly/assembly is remembered, it is a piece of cake.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all got my wiring harness from Daryl this morning.
The quality is excellent. It only took about 6 days to get here. Very rapid indeed, we are awaiting our third baby this week so I might have to pop out in between contractions to install lol. I would love to get it done over the winter though, as the lights IMO are one of the weakest features of the bike. As a complete novice to all things electrical I will let you know how I got on.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so when i get it and do the install, on my low beams both light will be lite without people flashing me cause i have the high beam light in there eyes. Basicly on the low beam there will only be low beam light on?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There were some questions about confirming whether or not you are looking at the correct wires or pin location when doing this modification. For some, it can be an overwhelming ordeal to gain access to the connector because of the removal of the air box and battery box. It would be nice to get it right the first time, in case there was some doubt. After looking a the 2004, 2006, and 2007 wiring diagrams in the respective service manuals, I believe that the following information should be correct but sometimes literature or people can be wrong. Verify if you feel the need to re-assure yourself as, hey, it’s your bike, right? The 2005 service manual did not have a wiring diagram in it but going from the 2004 to 2006 showed no change so I would assume 2005 would be the same.

The simplest way to confirm that you are tapping into the right wire is turn it on, right? Since the air box and battery has been removed, that kind of eliminates this test. The only thing left that you can do is perform a resistive check with an ohm meter or DVM.

Let’s take a crash course on wiring schematics. Before we do the test, it helps to see schematically what the wire harness actually does. In the Schematic_1 taken from the 2004 service manual, I have laid a red line from the bottom of the dashed box outline (item 53) to the lower part of the wiring schematic and ending at the hi-lo bulb (item 62). That red line, or the wire harness provides a path for the (+) side of the battery to the lo-beam filament when the hi-lo beam switch (item 55) is switched to lo-beam.

Schematic_2 is a close-up shot of item 53, the female connector from the left handlebar switch assembly. Everything contained within the dashed box outline is the switch assembly. Item 55 is the hi-lo beam switch. I have drawn it electrical as something everyone should be familiar with at the bottom of this schematic. As that little drawing of mine indicates, when item 55, the hi-lo beam switch is on hi-beam, the light blue common line makes contact with the yellow line. When the switch is flipped to lo-beam, the light blue common line makes contact with the green line. Inside the dashed box, I’ve outlined in a solid red box the female connector toward the upper left. This indicates where on the connector you should expect to find these three wires that I mentioned, as they are also appropriately labeled along the black lines or wires that are leaving the dashed box line. Given now the colors of wires that you are looking for and the possible location that they can be found on the female connector, using an ohm meter you can test the continuity of the light blue to yellow for hi-beam and the light blue to green for lo-beam. In other words, you are looking for zero ohms or a short between the light blue and yellow when the switch is in hi-beam while an open or infinite ohms or resistance between light blue and green. When the switch is flipped to lo-beam, the opposite is true.

I hope this is useful to someone. I’m not a Yamaha service tech person nor work in that end of the service sector, just a messenger, so don’t shoot me if I’m wrong. :thumbup:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I received my wiring harness from Daryl yesterday and did the install tonight.
The workmanship of the dual headlight wire harness is top quality, bordering perfection (must be the obsessive/compulsive behavior of engineers, LOL). Approximately it took 6 business days for the harness to arrive (snail mail, too bad email can't be applied to this). FYI I "used to" do most of my car maintainance: simple tune ups, oil change, and electrical work to name a few and I do mean a few. So I'm not exactly unfamiliar with engine work but I do limit it since some "Joe" mechanic out there needs to feed his family :)
The actual install took me 1.5 hours (motorcycle engine, sheesh) from start to finish. Much of the work was spent locating the wire harness and triple checking
that I match the female connector to the empty slot where the "male" pin connector will be inserted. Now after wasting enough time doing this I finally commited myself into pushing the pin into the correct empty slot. NOTE: BE VERY VERY CAREFULL NOT TO PUSH THE PIN "TOO FAR" IN !! I had the misfortune of doing this, luckily a simple micro screwdriver (used for wristwatches) can easily remedy this. Then the rest is just simply following
the simple instructions that came with the wire harness. I did find it usefull to
refer back this forum for this thread via my laptop. After reversing all that i did to get into the engine all I needed to do was fire up the Enterprise and Voila!!! Dual Headlights....... very very nice indeed. Now my buddy can't joke about one of my lights is busted, hehehe. Overall I give this mod a 5 out 5, "light" and sweet just like my Dunkin Donuts coffee. Thanks a bunch Daryll.:Sport::rockon:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So Daryl,
are you saying that essentially their is the same lighting loom in 2006 & 2007 modles.

Cheers.

ps I loved youe explanation of wiring Schematics. Didin't understand a word of it lol.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So Daryl,
are you saying that essentially their is the same lighting loom in 2006 & 2007 modles.

To date, it seems that the 2006 and 2007 bikes have the same connector as installations have been performed on both years here in North America and in the UK. According to the 2004 Service Manual, it shows the same connector configuration as the 2006 and 2007 which would lead one to believe that it should be the same from 2004 upto 2007, and dare I say 2008?

Side note: It's kind of weird why Yamaha ran the wire from the low beam side of the switch to the connector. Either they were originally thinking of this wire connection or the left handlebar switch is used on another model of bike that does use it? Why?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
just to get rid of some of your worries about why Yamaha didn't wire up the light. I was in with my Yamaha dealer yesterday and today and I explained what was going on with the bike. I told them that it was possible to hook the right hand "high beam" light up so that it lit up as a low beam also...it having two filaments and all!!!

At first they did not believe that it was a double filament because even they were confused why Yamaha didn't hook up the other light. They said that it must be due to local or national regulations of lighting of motorcycles...and hence why Yamaha refused to answer any questions related to this set up on the bike. (They said Yamaha frequently refuse to answer questions!!!)

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished Biker-Dude's headlight mod yesterday (or rather early this morning). I have a 2005FZ6 and his instructions, including color codes matched exactly. His instructions are very accurate and detailed. (Please note: If you are tracing the electrical diagram in the manual, it msistates 61 as HIgh beam and 62 as Low beam on page 8-28. It shoudl be other way around. This will confuse your wire color tracing).
His instruction on the other hand are detailed and accurate. I highly encourage anyone intersted in the headlight mod to look into this. The wiring looks vey professional and there is no wire stripping.
It is a litle bit more involved and time consuming, since you have to remove (or hold up) the tank, air filter box and the battery.
I took two attempts - first time I didnt get time to get into the air filter box. Second time, starting from the beginning it took me ~4 hrs. But I was slow and I forgot to connect the hoses back the first time. So I had to disassemble and reassemble everything.
The mod works and looks great, worth the time and efforts,

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I was out looking at the bike today, Can someone tell me how to remove the airbox from the bike? I had removed the nuts from the battery area and the two nuts for the airbox nearest the battery housing. Are the only things remaining holding the airbox in place those thick pipes (three to the back of the airbox near the riders seat and one along the right hand side of the airbox) ?

Do I have to remove anything else? I understand that after I remove the airbox unit all I have to do after that is move the battery housing backwards to reveal the wire connector.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I was stuck at the same spot as you/
Take a look at the service manual for air box removal. Besides all the screws you will have to disconnect the 4 hoses (3 on the back and 1 on the right which is a little hard to get to). You will also have to disconnect a green regulator on the back (right next to the hoses). Then I just lifted the box out - it will pop. In my case I couln't get to the hose on the right so I lifted the box out carefully without jerking it too much and then disconnected the hose on the side. When mounting it back, I connected that hose first and then wriggled the box in place. Just make sure it sits in nice and tight on the air pipes below.
There are screws on the bottom which are hard to get to taht tighten a ring around the 4 pipes underneath. I didnt see them until I poped the box out. The service manual didnt say anything about it, May be if you can get to them and loosen them a turn or so, it will be easier to pop the air box out - that's just a guess. Doesn't seem that it is required as service manual doesnt say anything about them.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the wire harness from biker dude the other day, and got to it straight away today (when I got home from Uni!). The mod took me 2 hours...all because it was dark and I was doing everything by feel and by a bad torch light!

I got everything back together again but the two screws for the airbox (beside the battery box) just wont bite so I'll have to take a look at that tomorrow...

I can safely say that this mod is amazing...and your wire harness is just made to perfection!!! You did say that a special tool is required to remove the pin if you put it in the wrong hole but I found a glasses screwdriver just perfect for when I inserted in the pin too far into the correct hole!! :):):)

The bike looks a million dollars, pounds...euro...whatever your currency! :):)

Thanks again!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is another mod for this weekend, just great. I ahve a question. With the mod done, the low beam lite lights both lights right. BUT, if so, is the low beam lights on low beam or do people still brite you cause the high beam light is blinding them, OR, does this mod get ride of the blinding high beam light, OR, do you have to buy a low beam bulb and replace the high beam with a low beam bulb. I HOPE THAT MADE SENCE.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
take a step back here for a second opds! :)

The two lights on the bike are capable of lighting up when you turn on the engine as LOW beams. The right is also capable of high beam when you flick the headlilght switch. This mod only connects the vacant plug on the right hand light to the plug under your battery where there is actually an empty male slot and the female slot is there waiting to be filled!! Oooo Matron!! :)

So yamaha have wired up the bike to the female plug stage and this mod only connects the female part to the light bulb itself via biker dude's handmade wire loom.

everything we need to have the two lights shine on LOW beam are there...the only thing missing is the wire connection from the electronics to the empty slot on the right hand bulb. This connection is Biker dudes wire loom.

Remember, like all other motorcycle lights....When low beam is on in the right bulb the high beam is OFF, when you turn on the HIGH beam the low beam is OFF in the right bulb. only one filament in that bulb is on at any one time. So with this mod and when you have LOW beam selected on the left handlebar you will NOT blind any drivers as the beam does not go higher than their bonnet (so long as the light is aligned correctly of course!!)

There really is nothing complicated about this mod, its simply finishing off the work that Yamaha didn't bother their a s s to do...its non invasive.

Last edited:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
much and many thanks for that. I was not sure about it as i was looking at some of the finished pic's and i still or thought i saw two different beams of lights, but thank you for answering it for me. i can breathe easier now:Lurking:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is another mod for this weekend, just great. I ahve a question. With the mod done, the low beam lite lights both lights right. BUT, if so, is the low beam lights on low beam or do people still brite you cause the high beam light is blinding them, OR, does this mod get ride of the blinding high beam light, OR, do you have to buy a low beam bulb and replace the high beam with a low beam bulb. I HOPE THAT MADE SENCE.

opds9091, like Scorphonic explained, the light bulb on the right hand side sitting on the bike looking forward is equipped with a low beam filament and a high beam filament (H4 bulb). Yamaha's stock harness only provides power to the high beam filament only when the left handlebar switch is switched to high beam. When the switch is not in high beam, that filament is off, agreed? So, if it is off (switch not in high beam), why not power the lowbeam filament of the H4 bulb? That's what my harness does. Maybe the confusion is not understanding the construction of an H4 bulb. In the attached photo, notice the low beam and high beam filament. The high beam filament has a lower resistance that causes it to draw more power thus provide higher intensity while the low beam filament has a higher resistance drawing less power thus lower intensity. Think of the light bulbs in your house. A 40 watter is not as bright as a 60 watter. The H4 bulb has both these bulbs in one except it is typically 55w and 60w. Also notice in the photo that there is a reflective shield to the right of the low beam filament. That shield actually blocks light from illuminating 360° around when the low beam filament is powered which also means that light reflected off the headlight assembly on the bike is not fully utilized, also diminishing the overall effective brightness as viewed by oncoming traffic. The end result is when the right side low beam is lit with the left side one, the overall viewing intensity will not seem like high beam intensity light to oncoming traffic. Only when switching to high beam will this be true. I hope that clarifies things up a little.

Good luck with the install!

Last edited: