bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

k7tortoisefc

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all thanks bd43! I received the harness a few weeks back and just completed the mod today!

This is seriously nice!!!

It was my biggest mod ever in terms of taking off all the parts, so I was kind of not so sure if I could, but I did and now I'm really happy.

Heads up for anyone doing this mod just from my experience, the part that I messed up was when I removed the battery box. Those two rectangular lock nuts that holds the screws and +/- wires to the battery!!!

I f***in lost one during the process of taking off the battery...

They are such small nuts and I searched for like 2 hours inside/around the bike but couldn't find it, so I had to rush to the ACE hardware to get new nuts...

Well with that 2 hours it took me 5 hrs lol

Anyway I'm stoked its all good and two lights are shining and thanks to bd43 again!!

kreed0501

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on bd43's headlight mod!! I have had the wire for a week now but finally got to it tonight. I am completely electronically challenged and can easily streamline a 1 hour job into 3 hours. However, despite massive ineptitude ("Where's that screwdriver I had just 30 seconds ago?" and "How did I manage to kick that battery box screw across the garage floor and under that piece of cardboard?") I was able to go from parts removal to test ride in 1.5 hours. I couldn't be happier....thanks Daryl! Having the pics online was a huge help!

Kevin :rockon:

lastdraconian

Reaction score
Visit site
Received BD43's harness yesterday, installed it within the hour! Looks great! Now I will no longer have to hear people telling me I have a headlight out (happened 3 times at bike week). It's a definite must have for any FZ6 owner!

Thanks BD43!!

zedtracker

Reaction score
Visit site
Wiring harness just turned up!! 11 days to get to Australia.
Halfway through the install and installing heated grips also.

thank you BD43!!!!

Another happy customer.

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
just got done with this mod and count me in too as a very satisfied customer... took about three hours with the help of my 7yr old daughter... ;)

thank you again, daryl!

Wheel Reaper

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Daryl. Received the harness in Southern California in 5 days and had it installed in under 2 hours. Excellent instructions and pictures! Thanks again!!

ozn

Reaction score
Visit site
Yet another voice of appreciation - thank you BD43! Received yesterday and installed today. The biggest disappointment with the purchase of the FZ6 has now been resolved.

Have to admit a little concern that the wire quality wouldn't be as good as the initial batch way back in 2007. Needn't have worried - product arrived exactly as shown in photo. Perfect product and documentation.

It's probably the best looking cable on the bike and that includes the factory gear. Only downside to this is the obligation to do a correspondingly neat install job to do the cable justice. Routing the cable down the same path as factory worked using a heavy gauge wire to fish it through.

Took ~4 hours with most of the time taken up with a voltmeter install. Mainly trying to put the terminal screws back into the battery with heating gear, gps, voltmeter leads. Next project will probably include a terminal block..

Solace

Reaction score
Visit site
Received and installed. :) I am one amazingly happy and satisfied customer. The only thing i regret is waiting so long to get my hands on this mod. Thanks Daryl... :)

JamJar13

Reaction score
Visit site
I received the cable a few months ago, a thing of beauty by the way, very well made. I didn't have time until recently to pull the bike apart until a throttle cable broke and I was forced to dig around under the tank to replace it. Anyway, long story short, I am very happy with the end result; two headlights instead of the odd looking one and I think that "Sonic" is pleased too, she seems to be smiling. A big thank you to bd43's ingenuity.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I received the cable a few months ago, a thing of beauty by the way, very well made. I didn't have time until recently to pull the bike apart until a throttle cable broke and I was forced to dig around under the tank to replace it. Anyway, long story short, I am very happy with the end result; two headlights instead of the odd looking one and I think that "Sonic" is pleased too, she seems to be smiling. A big thank you to bd43's ingenuity.

Its probably the best mod you could do, its not winking anymore!:thumbup:

Judd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey bd43,

I tried sending you a PM but not sure you got it so posting here as well. I'd like to do this mod. Please let me know if you are still making the cables and how I can order one.

This thread is awesome - I am a new fz6 owner and I'm glad to have found a way to light both low beams.

Thanks in advance!

Judd

ds37601

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished installing Daryl's cable (very well made - looks factory). Everything went smooth and it works great! Took me a little longer because I installed a new clutch cable while I had the airbox off. Thanks!

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I just performed this mod last weekend.

I highly recommend reading through the individual steps from bd43's website (URL listed in the printed instructions he includes). It's easier reading on, say, an iPad at the bike than on this website.

The mod went well, and within about 1/2 hour, we had the headlights working.

Thanks to bd43 for a great shipping turnaround and a fair price coming from Oh, Canada. :)

Regards,
nthdegreeburns

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am going to attempt this tomorrow before I put my bike away for the winter. Just got it a few weeks ago so this will be my first time removing the tank and going into the bike. My main concern was getting the tank up - in BD43's photo, did he just remove the two front bolts and prop it up? His front side fairings look different than mine.

I have a 2004 and was looking at this thread over here for removing it:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/12650-gas-fuel-tank-removal-3.html

Sounds like doing this method versus remove the two side fairings is just preference. Seeing as I have done neither, I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice one way or the other. I'm sure I am over thinking it but don't want to get hung up tomorrow!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am going to attempt this tomorrow before I put my bike away for the winter. Just got it a few weeks ago so this will be my first time removing the tank and going into the bike. My main concern was getting the tank up - in BD43's photo, did he just remove the two front bolts and prop it up? His front side fairings look different than mine.

I have a 2004 and was looking at this thread over here for removing it:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/12650-gas-fuel-tank-removal-3.html

Sounds like doing this method versus remove the two side fairings is just preference. Seeing as I have done neither, I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice one way or the other. I'm sure I am over thinking it but don't want to get hung up tomorrow!

I also have a 2004 and both methods work. Taking the inner fairing off is probably recommended for this mod anyway because you'll likely route the new wire through there. That said, when I go under the tank normally, I usually unscrew the rear retaining bolt and pull it up that way. It's much faster.