bd43's 07 Headlight Mod Part 2

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Also for anyone who is replacing the left headlight (US), the bulb has an adapter you have to remove from the bottom of the stock bulb and attach to the new one. I was outside scratching my head for a good 5 minutes before I figured it out. Slapped it on there and both lights fired up.

The previous poster does sound like a burnt out low beam filiment in the bulb. I would pull the bulb and start testing leads with a multimeter or go to an auto parts store and buy a cheapo replacment bulb, put it in there and return the bulb if it does not fire up. That's all I could think to do. If the something about the mod is broken then I would be worried that other electrical items in that wire loom got fried somehow...

automoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased this kit. Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I was asked to give my opinion, by
bd43. So I figured I would just post it here...

FYI: I am very picky and meticulous, and am not easily impressed. That being said... I am impressed :D I know it's just a wire. But once I got it in my hands, it was immediatedly obvious that I could never have made it as well as bd43 did. Very nicely done. The right length. A perfect fit, and it went right on as explained. I was very impressed with the combination of the finish, and connections and also with the heatshrink and covered sections of the wire to isolate the wire from wear and tear. Excellent quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I would also say it would have taken me a lot longer to try to make one this nice, if I even had the skills to do it.

Nice to see people use their skills to help out other motorcyclists. Hope this is helpful to anyone wondering about the kit.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered the wire from BD43 a few months ago but I finally got around to doing it today. Worked like a charm and we easier than I expected, should have done it immediately. Can't wait to test it out at night.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got around to doing this yesterday. On my previous FZ6, I had just tapped directly into the wire coming from the handlebar switch. This time, I moddifed a pin from a honda radio harness. With a little grinding, trial, and error, I was able to get the harness pin in secured. Ran the wire to the headlight socket, and all is well! Not as clean looking as the buyable cable, but it was free with the stuff laying around in the garage. So glad to have the dual headlight setup on this bike. Now, for a relay setup for the highbeam on the left side :)

ansaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Received the kit in the mail today. bd43 kept me up to date on all the shipping issues with Canadian postal service, and it got here real quick once sent. Instructions were fantastic, and the harness looked like the factory put it in. Plenty long to route any way I wanted too. Excellent work, and perfect instructions. Even a novice like me who doesn't know how to change the oil or find the battery figured it out. The hardest part was the trip to the store to buy metric sockets. Thanks bd43!!

*edit. Thanks to him I'm going to go for HID projectors in the future instead of naked.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
just finished the mod. Does what it says on the tin. Really glad I read all the info on the forum before diving in there too.
Oddly my cable was slightly (4-5") too long as someone before me reported. Aside from that excellent build quality, good instructions, excellent.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oddly my cable was slightly (4-5") too long as someone before me reported.

The wire would end up being a little long for the riders in countries who ride on the left side of the road. For those, I believe the H4 bulb is on the left (clutch) side while the harness is cut to length to reach the right side. I thought Denmark may be driving on the left, but Google tells me otherwise. :confused:

At one point I had my fairing off so I took a picture of the routing. The harness is tucked in under the headlight pods along side the factory wiring. The lenght is correct for a right side installation.

watermark.php

Still, there is no wrong or right way to install it and the end result is the same.

Glad the install went well for you! :cheer:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought Denmark may be driving on the left, but Google tells me otherwise. :confused:

The only place in Europe where they still drive on the wrong side of the road (left side) is the UK. Denmark has been a rightie all along, I think.

Sweden switched sides from left to right in the early seventies, if I remember correctly, but they had a gradual change. First, busses and trailers changed, and one year after, regular cars and motorcycled changed. Those swedes... :BLAA:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only place in Europe where they still drive on the wrong side of the road (left side) is the UK. Denmark has been a rightie all along, I think.

Sweden switched sides from left to right in the early seventies, if I remember correctly, but they had a gradual change. First, busses and trailers changed, and one year after, regular cars and motorcycled changed. Those swedes... :BLAA:

:rof::rof::rof:

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
huh ok. well it went well in any event. although two days later I had it in for service (20k km) and when I picked it up they told me they'd cut the cable to remove the fairing :confused:

so now my cable has a set of yama connectors in the middle. Guess it'll make for easier removal of the fairing in the future?

ps thanks for the install pic.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
oh actually, you know what? I see what the difference is, although I can't say as I under stand it really.
My lights were reversed - as in I had to route the cable to my left (when sitting on the bike) headlight. which obviously accounts for the extra inches of cable......but wtf is up with the lights being reversed (it was never a UK bike)
:confused::confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17211

Never replied.

BD supplied the cable a while ago, it took less time to install it than the Shad hardcase I did the same day. Took me all of 20 mins, including getting the tank up/down and routing the line. Super easy, incredibly good quality cable, and plenty of slack to run it nice and concealed. 1000000% satisfied with this!

tandj

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you put a H4 bulb in the left headlight? I just got through looking through all 34 pages on this post and someone somewhere in this post said there being an adapter for the H7 bulb. ( I think) Anyways, I am just currious about how to make the left and right headlights look the same while running low beams.

Thanks in advance--J

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Tandj!

I think you mean you want both light to look the same on high beam. I believe you want to run a the H4 in the left side as apposed to the H7.

And again welcome to a great group of people on this forum!