Baseline Dyno'd 09 S2 Cal Edition

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, but from looking at your dyno plot it doesn't look like the bike is choked. If you had an airflow restriction, the power curve would flatten out towards the upper rpm range and would not look as "peaky" as yours (since the engine is flowing much more air at high rpm).

Personally, I'd take the bike to a different shop for a 2nd opinion before deciding something is wrong.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert, but from looking at your dyno plot it doesn't look like the bike is choked. If you had an airflow restriction, the power curve would flatten out towards the upper rpm range and would not look as "peaky" as yours (since the engine is flowing much more air at high rpm).

Personally, I'd take the bike to a different shop for a 2nd opinion before deciding something is wrong.

I just might get another dyno benchmark....elsewhere with Dynojet. But I think we're on par for course. Considering, it's a load to rear wheel hp measurement on the dyno benchmark and we haven't had the bike even dyno tuned, yet.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I did want to point out, perhaps you guys can help me out with. Amongst all this Dynometer testing.

I asked the shop if they could tune the bike with just aftermarket exhaust and no Power Commander and they looked at me like I was nuts.... Is that right? Can the bike not be tuned without having to add the power commander? Because immediately they asked me, how can you expect to tune it without the Power Commander?

I can swear I have read several posts here where people have mentioned you can Dynometer tune the bike without the power commander. And as a option later on! you can add the power commander if you feel it is needed.

Although, the power commander is absolutely needed to finetune any air/fuel ratio regardless if any modifications to the bike.

Can someone shed some light here?

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the co mod can be used to tune with out a PC, but the PC is better.

Find another shop these guys are clueless about Yamaha's

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the co mod can be used to tune with out a PC, but the PC is better.

Find another shop these guys are clueless about Yamaha's

I hear ya Chevy.... I have no doubt at all they have experience tuning bikes & automobiles. But I have doubts about them having experience tuning the FZ6.... It is what it is. Sure you could make this bike off the hook fast. But given what the FZ6 is, I am not going to go balls to the wall off the hook. When i could just a get different bike. Sure all have it tuned, and a exhaust. But I doubt I will do much else. The FZ6 is a nice bike.

I am not a experienced bike tuner, but I have to give props to this site! For having the information and providing the experiences, for this particular bike. It's nice being able to have somewhat of an orientation to go by. Thank you All!

Last edited:

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
From my experience, I have found that tuning on a dyno (for max power #'s) can be very different once you are on the track. I have always tuned in "the real world" by a/f ratio and performance. Dyno numbers are great for bragging rights, but that doesnt make a hill a beans difference when you are staring at tail lights. Just my thoughts.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with you on that one. This is the main reason I spend the money for the Auto Tune when I got the PCV. Not the best tuning tool in the world but once you figure out how to work with it it's fine. My O2 sensor took a poop on me, need to order a new on tomorrow maybe. You can ask anyone on the 6R forum, the map I came with is the best base map for the 6R, doesn't matter witch exhaust. I even have a map for the TBPro.

I was struggling with my map after the cams swap (now I know why... the A/T wasn't correcting properly) I spend $150.00 on the dyno for few run and pretty much all he did is dump more fuel in the 80-100% throttle input. I had +40% in some area. First time I hit the freeway I went WOT @ 6K The engine wasn't getting nowhere. I back off at 50% throttle and there he goes...

If I had few extra $$$ I'll get the LCD with the PCV. For $40.00 you can get the data logger and see what's going on in real time on the road. Then when it's all tune I'll go back to get some final numbers on the dyno... just for fun!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Here is the Dyno test. Give me a bit not sure how legible this scan is going to come out. After speaking with the shop today, they claimed the C0 readings were much to high, and if anything the bike is running to rich. Due to the many contributing factors, I couldn't really tell whether or not how accurate his claim was. Not sure how much mpg is.

For the record I was able to dig up another dynosheet I found for a 2009 FZ6 S2 Cal emission. As opposed to a 48 state emission bike.

This Dyno sheet is from a Dyna/Jet. Instead of a Mustang Dyno. It is interesting to see the difference between a inertia dyno(mustang). The Bike was fully stock bike with no mods to exhaust or air when both tests were done. Either way here you go.

Also the Mustang Dyno was measured in about 85 to 90 degree weather at sea level. The Dynajet was measured at around 75 degree weather at sea level.

Last edited: