Auxiliary light test

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
I need more light!
I ride a lot at night; one of these days, when I was on a road in the middle of a forest, completely darkness, not even the moonlight to help, I thought – as I watch some wild animals organizing to ambush me, so slowly I was riding, completely blind when dealing with the turns – no more procrastination, I need to do something about this!

The solutions:
* Stop riding at night: not an option.
* Xenon (morimoto mini h1): not an option, it is illegal and I risk apprehension of the motorcycle, a fine of about double of the price of the Morimoto and interdiction to drive for a couple of mouth.
* Halogen Special bulbs, are expensive and I will be trying to solve a problem that is unable to solve: the stock headlight, which I think is far from the best they could do at the time.
* Auxiliary headlight: maybe the solution.

I use a Hella auxiliary headlight that I have (Hella FF50 driving light) and try to fit it in the motorcycle.
I love the motorcycle as it is from factory, so it was very difficult for me to find a place where it won’t ruin the aesthetic... I found it impossible. The best place I could find was beneath the headlight, supported by a (complex) bracket that I build, fitted in the place the horn used to be.
View attachment 56541 View attachment 56542 View attachment 56543
I think (and hope) it will handle the weight of the auxiliary light because the horn that I have it’s a Hella about the double size and weight the stock, it’s about 280g and the light 330g complete with bracket and screws.
View attachment 56540
This is the version 1.0. I realize I don’t like this installation so close the front wheel and relying in just one bolt, I will modified it to use also the upper bolt. Meanwhile I will use this set to test. Inside the garage the difference is obvious but nothing like test it in action in the “real world”, I will do it soon as possible. I hope I might have some light when turning...
Meanwhile all the suggestions, thoughts and ideas are very welcomed.

This comparison is made inside the garage, about 7mts from the door, I was in the bike but with the feet’s on the ground. The pictures are out of focus... how do I did that?
View attachment 56539
I think the dual headlight mood (bd43s in my case) is just aesthetic and a waste of energy...

To do in the next version:
A solid bracket.
Switch the auxiliary light with a low beam.

All the suggestions, thoughts and ideas are very welcomed.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope it helps! Good job!
FWIW: With the forks FULLY extended, you need about 5.5" (14cm) of distance to account for full suspension travel! If you have that, it should be OK!

Be safe at night! :thumbup: