attempted theft : no movement when in gear

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
Some animal tried to rob my bike over the Christmas . Couldn't get it but wrecked it instead bending mirrors pulling off the top box n I don't know what they did to the gears . It clicks into gear no issues but then the back wheel has no movement in any gear any tips / ideas on what the issue could be? I followed the gear lever back into the engine and all seems fine just wont drive

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the chain move at all? I would first check the sprockets and make sure the front isn't just spinning on the transmission output shaft.

Does the neutral light turn off when you shift into gear? And if you put the bike up on the center stand and run it, does the back wheel spin then? How many gears have you tried?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
damage to the gear change linkage?

on some CBR600's if you hit the gear lever, it bends a little tab behind the clutch, which allows the spline to move, and prevents you from selecting gears (as I found out once).

I don't think the FZ6 has the same weakness, but if it's taken a hit something could have been damaged.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the bike go into neutral allowing the rear wheel to spin? If so the clutch may be staying engaged. Is the rear brake jammed on?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, sorry to hear that... :(

Any other obvious damage? Did they bolt cutter your chain (Cut it in half)??

You need a thorough inspection in the day light. I'm not sure of your skills but we need more details on what you see and what works and what doesn't. Perhaps bring a friend, take pictures and post, or make a video?? IDK... Too many possibilities.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies .. On the center stand neutral light comes on n any other gear nothing happens no movemnt . Breaks aren't jammed as I can freely rotate the wheel by hand . In neutral when u give it a rev the wheel wud normally slin a bit but nothing . I tried adding pics but as I'm using my phone (no laptop) I keep getting into a dead end n I've to retype this whole message . There's no obvious damage n my chains weren't cut but the bike beside mines was cut n stolen n the other dudes top box was also broken as well as mine ( few bikes in same area) I recently got new sprockets so the front spinning / not engaging could be a possibility

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, pull the front sprocket cover(three allan head bolts) and check.

When you start the engine, what specifically happens when you shift BOTH into first and INTO SECOND gears(from neutral)? Any typical clunking or simply not getting that far? Does it appear the shifter arm (part #19) is moving FULLY?

Its possible the shifter lever ITSELF got bent and ISN'T shifting fully (especially into first or downward) if the lever is physically bent, hitting the frame. *Simply adjusting the lever too low will NOT allow shifting into first gear either*.

If that isn't the problem, the "exterior", shifter assembly (under the cover on the left side of the bike) may have sustained some damage (parts 8, 9 and 3 specifically). I kinda doubt it, but its better than having internal transmission bent shifter forks, etc..

Double click on pic to enlarge;

Last edited:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott I'm going to England tomorrow to watch a football match but ill check it out Monday n report back with what I find I've a suspicion that part 19 isn't turning properly I also thought 11 12 could be lose ill report back ..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the chain move at all? I would first check the sprockets and make sure the front isn't just spinning on the transmission output shaft.

Does the neutral light turn off when you shift into gear? And if you put the bike up on the center stand and run it, does the back wheel spin then? How many gears have you tried?

^^^ +5

Did you ever take the 3 bolts off the front sprocket cover and look? Somehow I feel the theft and the current issue may not be related but - time will tell.

That said, your BIKE INDICATES the Transmissions OUTPUT SHAFT is rotating. So says the speedometer.

Please remove this cover and look to see the sprocket and nut are tight. Find a wrench/socket and hold the REAR brake ON and try to remove the nut (if its there).

51847d1390680863-front-sprocket-nut-question-dsc_6401-sprocket-.web.jpg

Report back with pictures and detailed description!
Good luck!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above. The FIRST thing I posted in post #7 earlier..

If there's NO load on the wheel and chain, the transmission shafts will free spin(the rear wheel will normally spin just slightly in neutral, especially when revving).

I really didn't hear the proverbial shifter clunk, again re-affirming no load from the rear wheel/chain.

BTW, the chain looks WAY TOO TIGHT on the centerstand. With it on the ground, that taught a chain would put a great deal of stress on the output shaft bearing, etc... **You should be able to move it up and down approx 2" TOTAL at its tightest spot..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At one point in the video it sounds like gear lash so I think the tranny is active and agree you must pull the cover to look at the output shaft and sprocket relationship. :)

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys . The reason I didnt take it off and check as I didn't have time I have a young child now and I barely get time to breath! I just made that video quickly while I was putting the bins out :rolleyes: I'll try do that tomorrow n report back . Appreciate the feedback

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once those three bolts are out, you DON'T have to remove the shifter or anything else. Just finagle the cover out gently...

As a side note, there's two light duty wire looms running down to the rear of the rotor cover. It is REAL EASY to catch them when re-installing the cover. Just make sure their free and visable when you re-install that cover.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
Well gentlemen . I finally got a chance to remove the cover and as expected the nut was missing and the shaft was just spinning without the cog . So I guess I need to order a new nut . The guy who changed the chain n sprockets mustn't of tightened it properly and also mentioned had nothing to do with attempted robbery . This is where the experience and knowledge of others helps save guys the dollar by fixing/reparing themselves instead of paying mechanics :thumbup: Thanks for everyone's input

Last edited:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably are damaged seeming I revved the **** out of the bike when I made that video for youtube :eek: But that's another days work haha !

Do I need to buy a tab washer and a nut or just a nut? Gonna look online to buy what I need

Last edited: