Asshat backs over bike.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would just have them include a new frame in the quote.. might as well have them replace it since they f'd it all up.. or just pick on up on ebay and save yourself some of the cash they end up giving you.. good luck man...

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry to read about all of this Steve. The insurance company should give you exactly the cost to replace the bike if you bought a used one with the same year model plus your extras.. period! I hope you found some joy on your birthday despite all of this stuff going on... I am sure you did with Trin :)

Deb

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would just have them include a new frame in the quote.. might as well have them replace it since they f'd it all up.. or just pick on up on ebay and save yourself some of the cash they end up giving you.. good luck man...

The only problem is on a bike that age, a new frame (coupled with the labor to swap it) would instantly total the bike. My guess is it will be totaled and Steve can buy it back and then fix it.

Now, someone here is selling a perfect frame (Parting out an 04) that Steve could get cheap then swap out himself. Could even have it powder coated to any color he desired at that point. ;)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only problem is on a bike that age, a new frame (coupled with the labor to swap it) would instantly total the bike. My guess is it will be totaled and Steve can buy it back and then fix it.

Now, someone here is selling a perfect frame (Parting out an 04) that Steve could get cheap then swap out himself. Could even have it powder coated to any color he desired at that point. ;)

thats kinda what i was getting at.. i dunno how much work is really involved.. i asume quite a bit.. but some friends with some beers... you could have that all swapped maybe in a day or so... :) wishfull thinking i know :)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats kinda what i was getting at.. i dunno how much work is really involved.. i asume quite a bit.. but some friends with some beers... you could have that all swapped maybe in a day or so... :) wishfull thinking i know :)

I'd be all over that job! I'd love to tear one down to the frame and put it all back together. Beers to celebrate afterward! Too bad Steve is so far away!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i know.. why do you have to live so far away.. i would also be all over a tear down and build up.. oh and i did see an 04 frame on ebay for like $50 plus shipping.... :)

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Horrible birthday present, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can make a few grand out of the deal and keep your bike though, good luck with everything.

W

wrightme43

I still havent heard anything.

A 07 with 28,000+ miles will not be worth alot. Also being converted to naked hurts its value, also having the bike sanded down and prepped for paint doesnt help it any either.

I can get a 07 for 5050 or less here. A frame is 1144.11 plus labor at 80 per. At least 8 hours. 1144.11 plus 640= 1784$ plus rear sub at 441= 2225 plus master cyl and lever 168.14=2393 plus mirror at 69.99=2463.13 plus fender eliminator at 122= 2585.13

2585.13 is just barely over 50% of the value of the bike, they will most likely use 4000 as the value of the bike.

I owe on the bike 3800$ I just finalized bankruptcy on my business that was a DBA and wont be able to get a loan for a new one. So basicly what I will most likely end up with if I push it, is no bike, no money, no nothing cause some asshat backed over my bike. OR I can fix it.

Here is the thing. I have a extra tank ready for paint. I have the saddle, I have no problem buying a used master cyl, I have no problem at welding the frame, it wont bother me in the least. Its not a big deal to fix the bike. I will be happy with 1631.17. I write estimates on repairing cars for a living now. I have a real good idea of what it is going to cost to fix this bike, and that will cover it. I dont need a new frame. I have a used frame on the bike. LOL LOL A used one would be fine but the numbers wouldnt match. A simple tig weld will do just fine. Its just fine crack, V it out make a simple triple pass weld and thats that. If I felt like it would be a problem I would do something else.

I think 1631.17 is a fair deal for everybody.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good to know that you know how to weld.. cuz i wouldnt have the foggiest on where to start.. but if your confident in your abilities, then yea... i would fix it as well.. and curse the hell out of the guy who backed over it in the first place.... still sucks man...

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Steve. I missed this whole thread. Good luck with everything. I agree with sticking with the Fizzer if you can fix it. It's a great bike that has served you and the rest of us flawlessly.