Assessing Brake Pad Wear

mrw32539

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it also normal for my front brakes to squeek a little when I am slowing down? My rotors and pads appear to be fine.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great analysis...

I also think that there is a groove up the center of our pads that it like a "Wear bar" that you could use. I may be wrong though as i haven't taken them off of this bike, but the last one had it.

Yes? No?

23d6_1.JPG

It's kinda a wear bar. The grove is primarily for stuff to pass from between the pad and the rotor. Think rain water, brake pad dust build up, road funk, small mammals, etc.

The best way is to measure wear is the thickness of the pad itself. Also consider the "glaze", if any on the pad. Sometime there is plenty of pad but it is worn out, glazed over... Does that make sense?

If you get oil, fuel brake fuild and stuff on them you might want to replace them.

With brakes and tires I figure better same than sorry!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it also normal for my front brakes to squeek a little when I am slowing down? My rotors and pads appear to be fine.

Usually brake dust and dirt or you could have a small stone wedged between the pad and the rotor. Or they could just be dirty.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Steve should have been a bit clearer. I am going to do front hoses first. Hellgate has adual trixy setup. Its more thatn I need though.

It's all about how it "feels". ;) Better feel = more feedback = more control.

You will love the front lines, "I gare-ron-tee!"

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all about how it "feels". ;) Better feel = more feedback = more control.

You will love the front lines, "I gare-ron-tee!"
Im going 4 goodridge single lines (braided). Yours is more than I need + cant afford them lol.
If there is some glaze but plenty of meat left is it worth sanding them down?

Nelly

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and the rear stainless braided lines are not needed. Having them somewhat squishy helps keep it from locking. Or at least that is what wiser heads than mine told me.

DEFYINERTIA said:
I'll take all the feel I can get, thank you very much :D Squishy brakes should still be able to lock...you'll just have less warning when you're at or near that point.

I did not see the REAR part of your post the first time. I'll stick to cheap rubber lines for the rear as well....it's easy to lock as is.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

LOL I love my front stainless lines, I have locked the rear way overboard one time. A little bit a few times. I moved the lever down so its harder to use, and that helped me alot. I feel much more in control over it, and it has to be a conscious effort since it is uncomfortable to use.
I have been practicing my .5 mph rear brake on, clutch on off slow speed roll. LOL

These are the pads I purchased, and the review is on the site to, with a photo of them and lines and fluid and such sitting on my table
These pads rock! They do squeek some, but I dont care. I like to stop when its time to stop.

Galfer Sintered Ceramc Pads Front - Brakes Online at MotoSport

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking closer, it turns out that I didn't know what I was looking for. It turns out that I've got quite a bit of pad left above the minimum. Looks like I need to make up another excuse to go to the shop