Arghhhh I'm down this evening , lost my guard on the cars

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
im now still in hospital bed waiting Dr to read my Full body scans

Head, thanks for Shoei (never modular), could tell my side helmet and jaw protection in the work during the crash

Unfortunately, I was crashing to the sidewalk, bike and body both fell to the left and so my was banged to sidewalk I think.

Both my legs and specially left leg move fine, my left leg shin scratch where my Alpine ridge boots and icon compound overpant didn't protect, scratched and swollen no breaking things

Waiting for doctor to check and give what to do next.

After I watched the video, just hated myself that I could have avoided by not taking the 3rd lane on the right as I could have been home now and started rebuilding my brake seals. I was little rush to get home!!!! I should not if I just ride it as normal and I could have gotten home littl later like 5min.

Another thing, I dropped my guard on that Pirus so my reaction to his turn was like zero, no braking at all as I lost my left grip control, and so on crashed

YouTube

They said my bike is ok, I'm not sure what insurance will be seeing this thing..

Riders, please don't rush when u are on the bike riding,, stayed away from cars. My example is my case, I wanted to go home earlier so could play with my kids and I lost the guards and it took me... Careful and careful guys!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very sorry to hear glad YOU are ok

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're one dedicated forum member to post from the ER. I hope you got discharged by now as you read this. To a speedy recovery if you are injured, but hope not.

Now to your video and riding. Looks like you ran a red light! What was your intention at that intersection, to go straight or turn right? Either way, you put yourself in a very bad situation by placing yourself to the right of the vehicle and the curb since there was a potential for that car to turn right, which it did. This is why you never pass on the right. And if you were going to turn right, you have to let the vehicle in front of you to have an opportunity to turn right, they're not expecting anyone to be passed in that spot.

I hope you don't mind me doing the Monday Morning Quarterbacking. But it wasn't your guard that let you down, it was your poor decisions. Running the red, taking a bad line and then failing to anticipate.

Last edited:

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope not at all, give all you got and I take them in as lessons to learn and to listen and remember not to risk my life by that poor decision any more

The street on that part starter opening the 3rd lane, that was my intention to go to the right, not anymore in local!

Actually, my bike was hitting the intersection in yellow change to red, I couldnt stop but to continued proceeding

The two police officer came, asked me what happened, I explained to them that I was about going to that 3rd lane on the right. I needed to show them the video (which was why they showed up in the ER )

The first I heard them said, "yeah, no signal turn but they said they had signal turn" that one officer told another. Second, they were looking at the video like you were telling as I ran over the red light. One officer explained another this was yellow changing red, so yellow (no idea if they could write me ticket by watching the video)

Anyway, I'm taking all your feedback, critics if anyone please let me know

Yep, that was poor decision to speed up pass yellow-red light changing and because I focused to pass those, that was why I didn't react fast enough or could have had better decision not to go to 3rd lane by passing right on that Prius. No more!

Dr said I can go home now, the bruises are on the back hit to the soft tissues so I can be fully recovered maybe 2 weeks (my saved vacation now are forced to take)

I regretted that I could have had hip protector, and higher shin protector from the boots because it's getting hurt where it's not protected and being hit to!

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope not at all, give all you got and I take them in as lessons to learn and to listen and remember not to risk my life by that poor decision any more

The street on that part starter opening the 3rd lane, that was my intention to go to the right, not anymore in local!

Actually, my bike was hitting the intersection in yellow change to red, I couldnt stop but to continued proceeding

The two police officer came, asked me what happened, I explained to them that I was about going to that 3rd lane on the right. I needed to show them the video (which was why they showed up in the ER )

The first I heard them said, "yeah, no signal turn but they said they had signal turn" that one officer told another. Second, they were looking at the video like you were telling as I ran over the red light. One officer explained another this was yellow changing red, so yellow (no idea if they could write me ticket by watching the video)

Yep, that was poor decision to speed up pass yellow-red light changing and because I focused to pass those, that was why I didn't react fast enough or could have had better decision not to go to 3rd lane by passing right on that Prius. No more!

Dr said I can go home now, the bruises are on the back hit to the soft tissues so I can be fully recovered maybe 2 weeks (my saved vacation now are forced to take)

I regretted that I could have had hip protector, and higher shin protector from the boots because it's getting hurt where it's not protected and being hit to!
Good to hear you still can write here. Hope you have speedy recovery!

But I have to say, you need to work on your decisions.

You ran a red light twice... first at 4:00. You definitely had time to stop there also you were much too close on him. If he had suddenly decided to stop, you would be right in his bumper.

at 6:31 you run through yellow(which is fine) but you were already cutting it close 2 times in 6 minutes.

and finally red at 6:43. I can see that the car on the left is also running through but passing that car on the right was definitely not a good idea.

Also sorry for Monday Morning Quarterbacking here ;)

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you very much for posting your video. These incidents are invaluable teaching lessons and learning tools. I totally agree with VR's analysis of the situation and the decisions made, however things can appear differently when you're actually the one going through it.
Very pleased to hear your injuries were not more serious and hope for a speedy recovery. Last year I invested in some full height boots for the very reason you stated above of feeling that I was not sufficiently protected. Can be a PIA sometimes taking them on and off for work, but are very reassuring to have when riding.
How is the bike? Is it repairable?
Stay well. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok.

Agreed with all the lane change comments but I'm not exactly familiar with how Ca allows MC's to change lanes in semi heavy traffic.

Even if we had lane splittling down here, you wouldn't last two minutes without getting taken out.

Most of that video, in and out of traffic, the close calls, scares the snot out of me. Personally, I wouldn't have done it (not without MUCH more room).

But I'm pretty conservative riding, like to leave LOTS of safe zones and expect ALL the other drivers NOT to see me. Its not that I won't speed with little traffic, but heavy traffic, I make as much room as possible.

And NOT to start a muffler thread, that bike is so quiet, you can't hear it coming!! (ie, my louder exhaust, defnitly draws attention and more ((not all)) folks know I'm there)

Ride like your invisable.

Heal up!!!

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto what Scott said. Legal or not, splitting requires a more conservative approach to speed management. Add that to the urban setting, the odds are clearly moving towards disaster.

But really glad you are ok and appreciate you sharing the experience.

And on the running of yellows, I remind fellow forum members that when stopping for late yellow lights, the danger is in the rear, not the front. The closest I ever came to getting hurt was when I decided to stop and the fool behind me didn't. He ended up skidding past me on the shoulder and I felt pretty lucky.

Anyway, situational awareness is the key to urban survival, and with so many variables to deal with, we can never have an answer for every situation. I find these discussions enormously helpful in weighting certain behaviors be seeing the risks it exposes us to. And for me, when we are all so close together, speed management is crucial.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I admitted that I was aggressive and recklessly riding in that traffiic, not only that night but every time go to work.

I didn't have chance to thank the good lady Samaritan there. I was laid down, the bike fell to the left, I felt lucky and unlucky there was sidewalk there. It prevented me to hit the tree and stopped the bike from grinding my left leg. But my lower back hip banged to sidewalk... Luckily no bones broken and only bruises now getting swollen argh!!

The UCLA social medical nurses asked for who they should call, I told them not to so I could call my wife to the rescue. They said all motorcycle guys said the same thing not to call their loved ones know they're in trouble

No more no more, I should stay away from those but I rode too dangerously in that traffic and I didn't realize until... I was rushing, speeding, passing too close, riding too close ,,, to the cars. I kept watching the video and felt lucky I was crashed before the tree. The paramedic guy said luckily I didn't hit to the three maybe I would've been 6 ft under.

About gears,
Helmet is gone. Others, please don't use modular. If I did , my left jaw would have gone...Shoei pretty good helmet, didn't feel headache. The moment they opened my helmet, I thanked Gods that I used a decent one protected me good!

Boots, I could have ridding with high shin protection boot but ... It damn hurt where I didn't get cover.

No chest , shoulder or spinal pain, both arms not hurt ,,,

Riding pant , if possible, wear hip and kidney protector. I could have been paralyzed if my left back injured ,, will look for better protector if I'm allowed to ride again

Video recording, get one, police visited me because the were told the other turned signal. But they didn't after watching the video. I guessed that was the key for their investigation as other party said different?? Maybe Scott know?

Anyone knows how insurance looks at the bike, will the total it as accident with injuries or the need to inspect?

My brother inlaw will drive me to the impound lot and I will call AAA to tow the car home. I could've have used AAA to tow my bike home last night but couldn't think it... $275 to get the bike back... It will be insurance claim:)

I definitely am no condition to ride but maybe driving is ok. This is the wake up call to change my riding style

Thanks everyone!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to repeat what was already said, but lane changes through intersections are generally a bad idea as are clearing a car and cutting them off while traffic is doing **ANYTHING** but most cases those ahead of you were braking.
You are now counting on that cage not running you down as you took their stopping space.... IMO - you can only get away with that so many times and your number comes up.

No guts no glory but if you want to live longer and reduce the odds of being ran down - a less aggressive style comes to mind.

O/T Should they pass lane splitting here and you take someones spot esp while braking, you can bet at least 15% of them will BE completely up your @ss and make the rider VERY uncomfortable!

Get well - and yes, others in our life are a consideration when making choices.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to repeat what was already said, but lane changes through intersections are generally a bad idea as are clearing a car and cutting them off while traffic is doing **ANYTHING** but most cases those ahead of you were braking.
You are now counting on that cage not running you down as you took their stopping space.... IMO - you can only get away with that so many times and your number comes up.

No guts no glory but if you want to live longer and reduce the odds of being ran down - a less aggressive style comes to mind.

O/T Should they pass lane splitting here and you take someones spot esp while braking, you can bet at least 15% of them will BE completely up your @ss and make the rider VERY uncomfortable!

Get well - and yes, others in our life are a consideration when making choices.

Totally agreed and taken this advice as well...my riding style was counting number until yesterday it resulted in crash. if I didn't try to pass the second yellow-changing-red light, I could have now rebuilt my brake's seals...part of me was glad this accident happened as it was a wake up call to change the way I rode definitely. It could have been worse if it was on the freeway while I sped 50-60mph (given how serious the accident was in 33mph

I'm really unsure if the bike is safe to ride and what cost will be required to repair it to the point for safe riding again! I have $1000 deductible and $bike was $3500 when I bought it 18 months ago :rolleyes:

I re-posted the video now included the GPS/speed! it's 33mph when I hit that car!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you are so open minded about criticism. It's really the best way to learn, being open minded and read or hear what others have said. You made the most important decision, buying a quality full face helmet.

No doubt riding in LA, especially in rush hour or heavy traffic is one of the most challenging areas to ride a motorcycle in my opinion. Watching your video im saying to myself this is his daily commute, except the crashin part. Good lord. Living here in Idaho I don't think I have ever experienced traffic llike that. Not that I have ridden in similar conditions, it reminded me of Vegas except the splitting part.

It takes special skills to ride in heavy traffic, coupled with making the right decisions. A very useful thread unfortunately at the expense of one of our own. I take it you went via ambulance? Did you get your money's worth with lights and siren? If no, you should request a discount or your money back.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
About gears,
Helmet is gone. Others, please don't use modular. If I did , my left jaw would have gone...Shoei pretty good helmet, didn't feel headache. The moment they opened my helmet, I thanked Gods that I used a decent one protected me good!

I had a very bad wreck 9-30-77 on my RD350, (about 35MPH) when a Ford SW turned left in front of me(violation of my rt of way, I was 19 at the time).

I wore and still do, a 3/4 helmet (Shoei). My jaw caught the upper ledge of his drip rail apparently (as I was being ejected) and broke it in 4 places, also locking it WIDE OPEN. (among MANY other breaks).

It was iffy for about a week wether I'd survive, blood out of the ears, unconscious from Friday noon to the following Wednesday(riding home from college).

**To the point, If I had a full helmet on, there is no doubt in my mind I would NOT have broken my jaw, but broke my neck and died on the spot.

I wore my friends once, riding his new bike home and hated it, no wind, all sealed up, I'm not claustrophobic, but was getting there...:eek:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I watched the video again, it's NO RIGHT TURN allowed onto that street path..:eek: arghhh.

Anyone notice it?

There was actually 2 streets, the 1st one appeared to be one way which is the reason for the no right turn sign, the 2nd street immediately after that which you crashed on looks like a right turn is permitted.

I looked for the right turn signal from the car that hit you, but it's hard to tell. Looks like more of a brake light than a turn indicator. And even if was a turn indicator, don't you have a law that requires you to activate from a certain distance or time? Here in Idaho, it's 100 ft or 5 seconds. I looked for your indicators but it was not visible.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for having the courage to share this experience. Glad you're okay!
Riding has more to do with the brain and you're attitude than any other skills you may have. I've always ridden differently when I wanted to get somewhere in a hurry but realized that the urgency can not out weigh developing tolerance with the situation.

Any lane is tricky in traffic but the right lane seems to reveal more active surprises than the others.
Please be safe! :)

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Estimatedly my bike repair of:

Front left fork
full front fairing/cover/headlights
left rotor
front wheel
frame slider
stator cover
left rear and front peg
tank repolish

the adjuster came out for $2900+ (labor cost $45 but should be higher as the motorcycle repair labor cost is avg $85/hr in Socal)...the cost will be/should be higher than the first estimate when he gets back to his office.

Kbb is $3600 for my bike 2007 Yamaha FZ6 21,000 miles. Insurance might take my bike and gives me $2500 or I might have option to take $1900 and keep the bike ...I'm sure some shop will love to have bike there to repair for all above for $1900 and resale for $3000

maybe I just let the bike go and get $2500 ..:rolleyes: