Anybody done a 520 conversion?

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
24,000 miles later and its time for a new chain. A stock 530 chain is 160$! So, if I'm going to shell out some bread for a new chain, I've been really debating just doing the 520 conversion - I'm curious if anybody's done it.

I was thinking along the lines of the vortex sprockets: +2 rear -1 front with a 520 chain. I don't necessarily need sprockets, but at 160$ for the chain, for only a hundred gil more I can get myself my 520 conversion I've been dreaming of. So, can any of y'all give me a personalized comparison before and after the 520 conversion?

Pullin' the trigger here in the next 2 weeks, so I'd like to have made a decision. I'm leaning towards stock 530 at the moment because its comfortable and I'm familiar with it - at the same time I'm a big fan of the back road wheelie. I'm not a speed demon, so sacrificing some top end would make no difference to me - especially if I had more low end torque.

Thoughts?

S

Shamus McFeeley

24,000 miles later and its time for a new chain. A stock 530 chain is 160$! So, if I'm going to shell out some bread for a new chain, I've been really debating just doing the 520 conversion - I'm curious if anybody's done it.

I was thinking along the lines of the vortex sprockets: +2 rear -1 front with a 520 chain. I don't necessarily need sprockets, but at 160$ for the chain, for only a hundred gil more I can get myself my 520 conversion I've been dreaming of. So, can any of y'all give me a personalized comparison before and after the 520 conversion?

Pullin' the trigger here in the next 2 weeks, so I'd like to have made a decision. I'm leaning towards stock 530 at the moment because its comfortable and I'm familiar with it - at the same time I'm a big fan of the back road wheelie. I'm not a speed demon, so sacrificing some top end would make no difference to me - especially if I had more low end torque.

Thoughts?

The aluminum vortex rear will not last long if you're a daily rider. I was disappointed in the one I had. Go with the supersprox kit if you decide to switch, it will last much longer and has a better warranty. I can't say that I've noticed a difference, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't one.

(I stayed with the stock tooth count sprockets)

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered an RK GB530XSO chain and a Vortex steel sprocket, it didn't cost me much more than $160. I took the money I saved and bought a chain tool, since my local shop gets $100 to install a chain.

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Chunkygoat,

I did the conversion to 520 when I purchased my used FZ6 because the PO let the chain rust out. I guess I could have kept using it as it was really only the outside of the links that rusted, but who wants that on their bike...plus the rust would powder all over the place. I kept the stock gearing, but did notice a little extra punch from the lighter weight components. The chain really stretched at the beginning, but seems to have stabilized. I check it every once in a while with a gauge. If you are looking for long life from the chain, I can't comment one way or the other as I have only put about 2500 miles on it.

I researched around after hearing that aluminum sprockets would probably wear too quickly and it seemed like supersprox was the only option. I didn't really care for the look and wanted something black. The only place I found it was at sprocketcenter.com They sell a superlite, STEEL sprocket and it looks great as well. I don't know how much you care about styling, but you can get the EK520MVXZ kit with whatever color chain you like. Otherwise, there are other chain sprocket combos. Anyway, I would at least recommend the superlite sprockets (which are steel) and seem to holding up fine. You could also stay with 530 (looks like they are new as they weren't an option when I ordered) and simply get the sprockets in 530 which would lighten things up a bit. The superlite is by Drive Systems USA.

Also, when I changed, the front sprocket doesn't have any noise dampening rubber like the OEM (not sure how much it helps), but I lined my chain cover with Dynamat and that quieted it right up. I may (not 100% sure) have left over scraps if you were interested in that, but didn't want to buy the whole $20 roll of Dynamat...I had some left over from another project. Anyway, I didn't notice a great difference between the 530/520, but it was enough that I will probably continue using it. If you were to change the gearing, getting 520 may not be worth the hit to the longevity of the chain...although I am hoping that it lasts like the 20000 miles I hear about. Changing the gearing would be enough to get you those wheelies :) With the kit options for sprockets and chains, you would only have to spend about $37 more and you can get whatever size sprockets and chain you like, whether 530 or 520. I don't know how it is on the FZ, but I tried changing the gearing when I had my WR250X. I didn't care for the different sound of the engine and loss of top end, YMMV.

Here is the link to the kits at sprocketcenter:

FZ-6 04-09 Sprocket Center

You can also check out other chains that are less expensive than OEM if you want to keep your sprockets. I am sure EK, RK and DID x-ring chains are excellent and only cost $130-150.

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my chain and sprockets and went with the 530 DID with stock gearing and SuperSprox rear. I already had the stock front so went with the -1 front in the kit. Have not used it but will try it some time in the summer when I want to play a little. Loosing top end doesn't bother me but the extra RPM's at freeway speeds would. I thought about the 520 conversion and did not thinking the 530 would be more reliable. If I were to do it today would go to the 520 conversion. Talked to the people at Sprocketcenter and they thought the 520 would be just as reliable as the 530 on the FZ6.

coreride

Reaction score
Visit site
I did 520 chain and sprockets went -1 in front +1 in the rear. vortex also makes a steel sprocket for the rear that i am using now. Should last much longer then an aluminum one but only about 4000 miles on so far and so good. I really enjoy the sprocket change the only downside for me was a drop in gas mileage on the highway. big drop in mpg from higher rpm.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I went stock 530 chain....and I know I said I found it at this shop Blackman's for 160$, well I found it on a motopart store that ALSO has an eBay store, and ended up getting my stock chain for 47$! Holy moly more than 100$ less than blackman's (the shop).

Not only that, but blackmans wanted 80$ to put it on, on top of the 160$ for the chain - so I was lookin at 240$ from them.

Well I ended up doing with a buddy, he had the master link tool, so we grinded the old one off, took the shifter assembly and chain guard off, and had it on there in under 10 minutes.

All in all, spend 53$, 47$ on a chain, and 6$ on a case of monster for my buddy for helping. Bam, 175$ saved. joy.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went stock 530 chain....and I know I said I found it at this shop Blackman's for 160$, well I found it on a motopart store that ALSO has an eBay store, and ended up getting my stock chain for 47$! Holy moly more than 100$ less than blackman's (the shop).

Not only that, but blackmans wanted 80$ to put it on, on top of the 160$ for the chain - so I was lookin at 240$ from them.

Well I ended up doing with a buddy, he had the master link tool, so we grinded the old one off, took the shifter assembly and chain guard off, and had it on there in under 10 minutes.

All in all, spend 53$, 47$ on a chain, and 6$ on a case of monster for my buddy for helping. Bam, 175$ saved. joy.

nice one!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done!

Not to put a dampener on it, but I question the quality of the chain for that money - as well as the longevity of the chain since you didn't change the sprockets too.

When my chain is up for changing, I'm strongly considering doing the Superspox 520 conversion - I mean the existing chain is over 30000kms old, and even if I only get 20000kms from a 520 setup, I think the benefits outweigh the extra outlay.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Rick

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
im about to do this myself...just ordered -1 front +2 rear and chain for $215 (£135) from the US. i hear its a good mod to do, il let you know how i get on

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done it and It made a huge difference. I will never try and talk someone into a mod, but I will tell you my experience.

After getting the bike (a true sleeper) the stock chain was very stiff. I decided that if I was going to buy a new chain I might as well go to a 520 and reduce the rotating mass. I also did a gear change, but that is not for this post.

I had the aluminum sprocket (Vortex) and an IK X ring chain. I spent some time hunting one down, but I got both the chain and the sprocket for only $89 US Shipped. Not having a buddy with all the tools like i do now, I had the local shop install it for another hundred.

I have to say that it made a huge difference. Not only to acceleration and to RPM gain, but with commuting around town. With the lighter chain, I am able to trudge around town at 3k RPM without the motor sounding bogged like i did with the 530 chain. I commonly trudge around town at 4k-5k, but with traffic, I can slow down without having to shift.

After 7k miles the Aluminum sprocket has been holding up VERY well. it has worn down very little and I will most likely get another 5K miles in before thinking about getting a new one. Most likely I will go with a steel and finish up the chain with it due to the chain having a 75k mile rating, I am figuring between the two sprockets I will used the chain enough to warrant a new one.

If it is cost effective, i would suggest a 520. Especially if you are already planning on doing a gear change.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well done!

Not to put a dampener on it, but I question the quality of the chain for that money - as well as the longevity of the chain since you didn't change the sprockets too.

When my chain is up for changing, I'm strongly considering doing the Superspox 520 conversion - I mean the existing chain is over 30000kms old, and even if I only get 20000kms from a 520 setup, I think the benefits outweigh the extra outlay.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Rick

I thought the same thing, however since I have a 30 mile commute 1 way to school, and 15 miles to work, I'm putting 100 miles out a day, almost all of which are highway miles. If I wasn't a highway commuter, I'd have gone for the 520 conversion, but I'd take a HUGE fall in gas mileage from upping the RPM's - so I stuck with the stock for that specific reason.

As far as the quality of the chain - this crossed my mind as well. But my logic here was if I got 24,000 miles out of my stock chain, and 160$ for a replacement to get similar mileage...for 1/3 of the price, as long as I were to get 8,000 miles out of it - it ends up equating to the same thing. Anything over 8,000 miles is pure savings -- and for only 47$ I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Now if I get less than 8,000 miles (I put on roughly 10,000 a year - it has a 1 year warrenty (short warrenty, except I commute a LOT) - so if it were to die before the 8,000 miles, that'd be well within a year of my normal riding.

That was my logic - and if it doesn't work out - I'll only eat 47$. Worth a shot IMO.

im about to do this myself...just ordered -1 front +2 rear and chain for $215 (£135) from the US. i hear its a good mod to do, il let you know how i get on

Hey from my experience - putting on a chain SOUNDED a lot more complex and difficult than it actually was. Getting the chain on was EASY as pie, 3 bolts for the chain guard, 1 for the shifter, and you expose the front sprocket. The hardest part was (and it wasn't even difficult) loosening the rear axel nut and the rear caliper bolt (not sure if you had to do that) to slide the rear wheel forward. It really sounds more complex than it is, I'd suggest giving it a shot because you have every tool you need under your seat, and the center stand just makes it that much easier. If ya need help I can take a few pics for ya - I found a few videos but most of them the links expired or excluded key information. Lemme know how it goes or if ya need some pointers.

-Matt

Last edited:

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm always more interested in the tensile strenght of a chain than the price.
I ususaly run Tsubaki Sigma series (QR Pro Gold)
10,600 lbs TS..sure its expensive but it will last a very long time.

Tsubaki Motorcycle Chain - Motorcycle chains for on and off road, racing and street

Definalty will last longer than the stock chain, and because it won't really stretch (much) with these little 600's, so the sprockets will last longer too.
(with proper adjuctment of course)

But, I'm a do it once, do it right kind of thinker...;)

Last set I changed on my litre bike lasted 45,000 miles..(75,000km)

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
i went ahead and ordered the -1\+2 kit with DID chain. all pretty expensive getting it from the US but i think itll be well worth it.....also more money ordering a speedohealer, wise move though i recon =]
il upload pics when ive fitted it this week. Tank and front fairing will be back from sprayers aswell so hopefully some good pics which everyone will like....i hope:BLAA: