Any AMA members?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a membership application to the American Motorcycle Association. Are any of you members, and do you feel its worth $39/year?

Besides the usual material things (American Motorcyclist magazine (any good?), member pin, decal, patch, and AMA collector's banana) it buys lobbyists to petition Congress on motorcycle-related legislation. I despise lobby groups, but unfortunately that's the way the U.S. is run anymore, and some of the recent laws being passed in CA and CO have me concerned.

Any advice/experiences/knowledge is appreciated, thanks in advance!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not a member but i have been to their Museum/Headquarters in Ohio which was pretty cool, they have a rotating exhibit that was on Motocross when i was there.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I second the request for experience/knowledge. I just sent out the $39 for the first time this morning...I figured I'd see what the magazine was like, learn more about the org., etc. etc. and then decide whether I ever wanted to renew or not down the road (no I wouldn't pay 39 for a mag).
________
Glass Pipe Pictures

Last edited:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a member. It my membership gives me a 10% discount at my favorite bike shop (it is a honda dealer). I like the magazine also. It did a great time of debunking that "sportsbikes are death traps" study.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I joined the CMA (Canadian Motorcycle Association) - some insurance companies give a 10% reduction on insurance - well worth the 20 bucks.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I joined the CMA (Canadian Motorcycle Association) - some insurance companies give a 10% reduction on insurance - well worth the 20 bucks.

Same thing for insurance here in here the US. I know Progressive, McGraw, Safeco ask about HRC (Honda Riders Club, free when you buy Honda Motorcycles or ATVs), and AMA memberships.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing for insurance here in here the US. I know Progressive, McGraw, Safeco ask about HRC (Honda Riders Club, free when you buy Honda Motorcycles or ATVs), and AMA memberships.

hmmmmm........cheaper insurance? i'll have to check this out.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the membership include MOTOW, the program that tows your bike when it brakes down, or is that extra or another membership in itself.

H

HavBlue

Does the membership include MOTOW, the program that tows your bike when it brakes down, or is that extra or another membership in itself.

I get free towing with my HOG membership which also gives insurance discounts. If the FZ6 breaks down "yeah right" I just throw it in the trunk of a cage and bring it home..... The AMA has done some good things when it comes to riders rights and is currently fighting the double standard noise law in the state of Colorado.

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
Member, many of the offroad races I do require the membership. But, I would most likely have it anyway.