Another winterizing question.

Chackster

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on garaging the bike for the winter this weekend, and was wondering if I can just run it for 20 min every week or so rather than winterize it.

W

wrightme43

No thats much much worse on it.

Not long enough to boil the condensation out of the oil but long enough for it make acids that sit and pit your bearings.

If you are going to shut it down for sure and not ride it untill spring for sure.
Add stabil to fuel and fill fuel. Ride home.
Drain oil, remove filter. Fill with cheap oil, and cheap filter.
Wash bike.
Air up tires.
Lube chain.
Put on center stand.
hook up battery tender.
Cover exhaust with tape when cool.
Cover and let sit.

Or just park it with stabil and let it sit.
Down side acids in the oil if over the ability of the oil to counteract will eat at your metal parts.
Battery will not be happy.
mice may get in the exhaust and build a nest.

its totally your bike, but the best bet is to winterise or Ride out at least half a tank of fuel every 30 days and refill with fresh.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
No thats much much worse on it.

Not long enough to boil the condensation out of the oil but long enough for it make acids that sit and pit your bearings.

If you are going to shut it down for sure and not ride it untill spring for sure.
Add stabil to fuel and fill fuel. Ride home.
Drain oil, remove filter. Fill with cheap oil, and cheap filter.
Wash bike.
Air up tires.
Lube chain.
Put on center stand.
hook up battery tender.
Cover exhaust with tape when cool.
Cover and let sit.

Or just park it with stabil and let it sit.
Down side acids in the oil if over the ability of the oil to counteract will eat at your metal parts.
Battery will not be happy.
mice may get in the exhaust and build a nest.

its totally your bike, but the best bet is to winterise or Ride out at least half a tank of fuel every 30 days and refill with fresh.

Acids would only start "eating" metal parts when the oil's added neutralizers are saturated... This will happen whether you park the bike for winter or ride all year long. Still, I do agree with your winter storage procedure. However, I store it with fresh Rottella 5w 40 and just use it a few months in the spring before another oil change. I feel there is no need to waste even cheap oil just for storing a bike. Besides, oil doesn't really have an expiry date. I have done this for every bike since 1985....

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This might sound like a really stupid question,but do you guys really have to do all that every winter ?

It depends on where you live. But up north you do. We get a few feet of snow that lasts a few months. Plus where im from they use salt to keep snow off the roads and it isnt nice to aluminum parts at all

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This might sound like a really stupid question,but do you guys really have to do all that every winter ?

Yes, winter here is months long, months of snow, freezing rain, sleet, hail and iced over roads. Couple that with the TONS of salt and sand spread each time the flakes fall and you've got at least 3 to 4 months of mess that a bike cannot cope with.

This is the time we clean, coddle and mod our bikes to get them showroom ready for the first ride in the Spring. Stabil and Deltran are the two best friends of our bikes up here. :D

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, winter here is months long, months of snow, freezing rain, sleet, hail and iced over roads. Couple that with the TONS of salt and sand spread each time the flakes fall and you've got at least 3 to 4 months of mess that a bike cannot cope with.

This is the time we clean, coddle and mod our bikes to get them showroom ready for the first ride in the Spring. Stabil and Deltran are the two best friends of our bikes up here. :D

So when are you doing the mod that replaces the rear tire with a snow mobile track?

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my co workers ask me when I'm putting on the snow tires.. I've been riding everyday, the morning is cold, and I've been fighting with my visor fogging up, but I think I've got that about fixed.

Last year I tried to just ride it once a month, however I ended up parking it for three months. I didn't know about the battery tender and ended up buying a new battery at the beginning of the season. :(

This year I'm going to do better and take care of it. however I'm not ready to put up the bike just yet.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my co workers ask me when I'm putting on the snow tires.. I've been riding everyday, the morning is cold, and I've been fighting with my visor fogging up, but I think I've got that about fixed.

Last year I tried to just ride it once a month, however I ended up parking it for three months. I didn't know about the battery tender and ended up buying a new battery at the beginning of the season. :(

This year I'm going to do better and take care of it. however I'm not ready to put up the bike just yet.

Good, I don't plan on putting mine up until Nov. I will ride until snow sticks I have one friend that will ride 20 minutes until the snow sticks, he wears snowmobile gear.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i know whom3, and 2stroke can vouch for how much salt is used here and yes there are several months when bikes just sit. i think mine will get stabil and get parked in the house (my pole barn in not insulated and the condensation from hot/cold ect is insane.) i usually start and let whatever bike i have in there run at least through one heat cycle. (till the fans kick off) sometimes two cycles of the fan, once through the winter. (where/how i park it the pipes blow right out a window, i will take a pic after it is in there)

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

And then you post like crazy to get over the withdrawal symptons :D

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i guess i'm really lucky being in tx...last yr was crazy and there was only snow on the ground for about 6 days the whole winter lol...so i'll probably just rotate my bikes each day to work unless its snowing or raining...seems easier to me...as well i'll a get a better parking spot at work...and better gas mileage haha

W

wrightme43

I'm new to motorcycling so I'd like to understand why just unhooking the battery over the winter is not enough? Can't it just be hooked up in the spring again (and jumped if necessary)? :confused: Thanks.

Batteries slowly discharge over time. As they do they produce a lead sulfate that coats the plates. It chokes the flow of electricity and makes it harder for the acid to react with the plates to produce electricity. Keeping it topped up on a tender prevents this.

W

wrightme43

Oh and what am I doing up at 209 am when I have to work in the morning? Good question. Wish I could sleep like normal people. LOL

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will never complain about riding in the rain & cold ever again....at least where i live i can ride all year round..it get's cold enough (-1 celcius). But we dont have snow.