Am I going to die?

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 29 years old. When I was a kid, we had a honda 75 that I rode non-stop from the time I was like 8 to 12. I haven't rode anything since then other than quads.

I'm in the process of buying a 2005 FZ6 right now as I type this...

Am I going to die? :confused:

Rookie08FZ6

Rookie
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you don't go throttle crazy and rev it above 4-5K (initially atleast) you will be fine. Get comfortable with the bike first (however long you take) and you will be fine. Do sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

-my 2 cents

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

Only you can control that outcome. Just don't twist the throttle until you know your limits. I can guarantee this bike has more limits than you so treat it with respect, learn to handle it slowly and practice. You'll do fine so long as you ride YOUR pace.

Did you take the basic rider course?

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not taken a rider course.

I'm not actually that concerned about me killing myself. I'm an extremely conservative rider/driver of any motorized vehicle. I've been riding quads for years and have yet to even wreck any of mine.

I'm really more concerned about commuting to work and getting smashed by someone that doesn't see me. I'm considering buying a neon-pink helmet and jacket... :eek:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
YES!

......but it doesn't have to be the motorcycle that kills you. Me I'm hoping that it's old age. Read everything you can, take some safety courses, ask lots of questions, practice a lot and maybe you'll be around long enough for something else to kill you before the motorcycle can. Good luck, have fun, be safe!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Scott - Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy this site.

As others have said take it easy and you'll be fine. Think ahead, plan for the worst, be very, very aware of the drivers around you. If you think something isn't right, you are correct, it isn't right.

By all means take the MSF course.

As others have said, if you keep the bike below 6,500 to 7,000 rpm, it is a very nice ride, once you are over 8,000 it is a whole different animal!

Have fun and WEAR YOUR GEAR!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not actually that concerned about me killing myself. I'm an extremely conservative rider/driver of any motorized vehicle. I've been riding quads for years and have yet to even wreck any of mine.

I'm really more concerned about commuting to work and getting smashed by someone that doesn't see me. I'm considering buying a neon-pink helmet and jacket... :eek:

If you do that, we'll take away your man card! ;) Go for the reflective green, it's more manly.

The MSF course will teach you some excellent techniques and what to be observant of while on the road. I highly recommend it and you'll likely get the same response from the majority of the riders here.

Two things: Stay out of people's blindspots and headcheck, headcheck, HEADCHECK! :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

A simple orange reflective vest works GREAT. The Army requires Soldiers to wear on when riding on base and man do they stand out.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do that, we'll take away your man card! ;) Go for the reflective green, it's more manly.

The MSF course will teach you some excellent techniques and what to be observant of while on the road. I highly recommend it and you'll likely get the same response from the majority of the riders here.

Two things: Stay out of people's blindspots and headcheck, headcheck, HEADCHECK! :thumbup:

reflective green? ok it is more manley than pink but real men wear safety orange!.............also the same as Home Depot orange (see the man connection?) :D

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
but on the same note.... you could be on fire, blinking, lighting up the sky and there are still people who will not see you so do as FZinNH says.....HEADCHECK!

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
yes you are going to die....that is a certainty

how????

well that is the question

a good thing to keep in mind as you plan your life

----------------
if you are careful and take the MSF class your chances are lessened that you will die on the bike

BUT

riding is inherently dangerous...... that is why chicks dig it....

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
reflective green? ok it is more manley than pink but real men wear safety orange!.............also the same as Home Depot orange (see the man connection?) :D

Oh no you don't! Tell me you do NOT consider :Flip: Tony Stewart :Flip: a man! :D This is exactly why I'd choose the Police Neon Green. :thumbup:

I can't believe you went THERE! I had high hopes for you.... being a Bosox fan and all.... :noworries:

:rof:

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
as everyone else said, stay off the throttle at first, it is a VERY FAST bike.
just get used to it before you open her up.
take a motorcycle safety course and wear the right gear.
good luck and safe riding.:rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
These figures are a few years old, but it did not change that much since:

Accidents:
Number of motorcycles involved in reported accidents (injuries, death or property damage) per 100 million vehicle miles traveled was 776.57 while the number of passenger cars involved in such accidents per 100 million miles traveled was only 423.13. In other words, you are almost twice as likely to be in an accident riding a motorcycle than riding in a passenger car.

Fatalities:
The fatality rate per 100,000 registered motorcycle was 64.88 while the number of fatalities per 100,000 registered passenger cars was only 15.72. In other words, motorcycle accidents are four times more likely to be deadly than are passenger car accidents.

Based on these stats, the answer to your question may not be as bright as everyone seems to think above ^^ :), but that is something you need to accept before getting on the streets...

What is important to mention though, is that IMO, a large majority of the ppl that end up being a fatality statistic brought it upon themselves by riding like squids (irresponsibly).... if you look deeper into the stats, you`ll find that most of them had alcohol in their blood, and/or were not wearing a helmet (or proper gear), and/or were speeding, and/or had never taken a motorcycle class...
In other words, if you respect yourself and your motorcycle, ride mellow, don't drink, wear all your gear, and take the MSF, your chances of surviving increase dramatically!

Finally, if you are serious about riding, get Proficient Motorcycling By David L. Hough... it's a great bathroom read :D

Good luck.