Am I crazy for wanting to buy a "real" sportsbike?

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, so as some of you may know I have bought a V- Strom 650 last September, and I have also sold my Fz6 to my brother.

I absolutely love my V-strom, it's funny taking it off road and ripping it in the twisties as well. the problem is that it's "too good" of a bike. It does everything so well that my FZ6 became just superfluous and I sold it to my brother.

For the longest time I wanted to replace my FZ6 with the Triumph Speed Triple. I love the torque of it and overall how just fun it is.

But given that my V-Strom is such a versatile machine, the desire for a standard (Speed Triple) is no longer there.

Now I want to get the Triumph Daytona 675 instead. It would be my first "real" sportsbike.

I kind of don't have the desire at this point to start doing any track days. I have a suspicion that it's highly addicting and before I will know I will be blowing more money than a crack addict on it. For now I am spending money on off road gear/V-strom I went off roading a while a go and it's addicting so far.

So for Daytona will be for twisties and occasional ride in the city.

So anyway, do you guys have any advice for me?

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy whatever turns your crank dude! Obviously you know that sport bikes come with compromises(comfort/passengers/etc) but if you want it anyways, do it. I mean, maybe it'll make our fz's look even more incompetent:Flip: until you're 3 hours from home and aching like an 80 year old!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy whatever turns your crank dude! Obviously you know that sport bikes come with compromises(comfort/passengers/etc) but if you want it anyways, do it. I mean, maybe it'll make our fz's look even more incompetent:Flip: until you're 3 hours from home and aching like an 80 year old!

Yup, I am afraid of the comfort issue haha. When I sat on the R6 recently it felt oddly not as bad as I expected.

Instead of getting a V-strom I should have gotten myself a DR650. Then a Speed Triple would be a perfect complement. V-Strom is too versatile haha, which is why I want to go to the extreme.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I am afraid of the comfort issue haha. When I sat on the R6 recently it felt oddly not as bad as I expected.

Instead of getting a V-strom I should have gotten myself a DR650. Then a Speed Triple would be a perfect complement. V-Strom is too versatile haha, which is why I want to go to the extreme.

Ya, I think any bike is comfortable when you just sit in it in a showroom.. comfort is only tested after an hour or so.. or 15 minutes depending how hardcore your bike is haha!

Why don't you just have 3 bikes to do each task you want?!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, I think any bike is comfortable when you just sit in it in a showroom.. comfort is only tested after an hour or so.. or 15 minutes depending how hardcore your bike is haha!

Agree. I've got the R6 for the track. Awesome on track, but each session is 20 minutes.
(turning grouchy old man mode on) I've said this before and I'll say it again: sport bikes are built for a purpose and that purpose is racing / track / fully tucked / knee draggin.. etc.

If my R6 was street legal, I'd let you ride it for a day. It'd be much smarter to know what a sport bike feels like before shelling out cash for Daytona.

My prediction: if you get one, it will not see a lot of miles.

And the track: sure it's incredibly addictive, but it's not THAT expensive.. used sport bike + leathers + trailer and 3-5 years of track riding (depending on how many days you will end up doing) should cost you less than a new Daytona. AND you'll enjoy that bike on track a heck of a lot more than you ever will on the street.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree. I've got the R6 for the track. Awesome on track, but each session is 20 minutes.
(turning grouchy old man mode on) I've said this before and I'll say it again: sport bikes are built for a purpose and that purpose is racing / track / fully tucked / knee draggin.. etc.

If my R6 was street legal, I'd let you ride it for a day. It'd be much smarter to know what a sport bike feels like before shelling out cash for Daytona.

My prediction: if you get one, it will not see a lot of miles.

And the track: sure it's incredibly addictive, but it's not THAT expensive.. used sport bike + leathers + trailer and 3-5 years of track riding (depending on how many days you will end up doing) should cost you less than a new Daytona. AND you'll enjoy that bike on track a heck of a lot more than you ever will on the street.

My rational brain says the same thing.

I don't know what I will do. The only upside of the whole thing is that the Daytona I am looking at is priced lower than normally so if I would sell it after this season I wouldn't lose any money on it.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site

What a great idea Eric:rockon ::rockon: My dream is to have two bikes. One is a real sportbike (Flippin love Daytona 675, or a used R6) which I can ride with the guys rippin up the twisties and the track; and second bike would be a Harley Switchback for riding with my Dad (slow), yeah slow, relaxing, listening to music, and enjoy the scenery, and going places in the 50 States. But for right now, owning an FZ6 while i'm going to college is Awesome, and I really really love this bike.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I traded in my vStar on my FZ6 cuz I wanted something sportier and love it, but I've been yearning for an Aprilia for years and decided it was time to scratch that itch. I went for a Tuono, as the riding position is almost identical to the FZ6. I had every intention of selling the Yamaha this spring ("honest, honey") but just can't seem to part with it. I use the analogy of having a high revving sports car (FZ6) and a muscle car that can corner (Tuono). And while each may have some similarities (other than just the riding position), they are two totally different beasts to ride. So no, you're not crazy. Me, on the other hand.....

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey hey! As someone who literally just went through this whole debacle after selling his fz6...

TEST RIDE EVERYTHING TIL YOU FALL IN LOVE.

Seriously, test ride everything you can.

I did tons of research on specs and everything possible and I LOVE the daytona675. Seriously, one of my favorite bikes of all time. This one time I found a 2012.5 (2012 body with 2013 engine/tranny) and loved the look!

But as you can tell from my bio, I do not own a d675. Why? Because I found the fz-09 to be SO MUCH MORE FUN on the street than a d675. It's much more fun to keep around the speed limit too!

At the end of the day, it's your money, do what makes YOU happy. I'd just suggest seeing a couple options before making a rush decision. (I almost bought a '12 WRX the day before I bought my fz-09 that would have meant I'd not have another bike for years. so glad I didn't!)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering why you refer to race replica bikes as "real sportbikes"? Because even the fz6 cannot be beat in 0-60, and 1/4 mile on almost any "sports car"

It's also the predecessor to the FZ9 which sports identical numbers to the triumph but beats it to 0-60 and pulls around the same 1/4. So yeah, buy a real sportbike. We in the real world ergonomics will still take you :)

Let's not compare prices either considering anyone who spend 4k less on a non "sportbike" can put just as much power to the wheel :D

Sorry, I couldn't find anything in the "non real sportbike" section at yamaha. The 6r is a "real" sporttbike.

Yamaha Sport Bike, Sport Touring, Dual Purpose Motorcycles - Mobile

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering why you refer to race replica bikes as "real sportbikes"? Because even the fz6 cannot be beat in 0-60, and 1/4 mile on almost any "sports car"

It's also the predecessor to the FZ9 which sports identical numbers to the triumph but beats it to 0-60 and pulls around the same 1/4. So yeah, buy a real sportbike. We in the real world ergonomics will still take you :)

Let's not compare prices either considering anyone who spend 4k less on a non "sportbike" can put just as much power to the wheel :D

Sorry, I couldn't find anything in the "non real sportbike" section at yamaha. The 6r is a "real" sporttbike.

Yamaha Sport Bike, Sport Touring, Dual Purpose Motorcycles - Mobile

I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm. I fully know that a sport bike is a wide and multi varied term. Generally when people say a sportsbike they mean a race replica.

The only reason why I said a "real sportsbike" is the difference in seating position, gearing and styling. And I suppose people will give me **** for wanting a Daytona as more of a lifestyle choice akin to Harley riders. Ohh well.... I just find it aesthetically pleasing. I had my share of naked bikes.

I have owned cruisers, naked bikes, adventure bikes, big sport touring bikes. "Real" sports bike and a full motorcross are the only two types of bikes I haven't ridden or owned yet. These bikes are the extremes of my interests and if everything goes well I might get myself a fun little enduro bike down the line. But that's once I move out West or get bored with my V-strom.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey hey! As someone who literally just went through this whole debacle after selling his fz6...

TEST RIDE EVERYTHING TIL YOU FALL IN LOVE.

Seriously, test ride everything you can.

I did tons of research on specs and everything possible and I LOVE the daytona675. Seriously, one of my favorite bikes of all time. This one time I found a 2012.5 (2012 body with 2013 engine/tranny) and loved the look!

But as you can tell from my bio, I do not own a d675. Why? Because I found the fz-09 to be SO MUCH MORE FUN on the street than a d675. It's much more fun to keep around the speed limit too!

At the end of the day, it's your money, do what makes YOU happy. I'd just suggest seeing a couple options before making a rush decision. (I almost bought a '12 WRX the day before I bought my fz-09 that would have meant I'd not have another bike for years. so glad I didn't!)

You know it's funny because the idea for the Daytona actually was seeded by you. I remember you raving about it haha.

Last year I narrowed it down to either Speed Triple or Monster 1100 Evo. I never got the chance to test ride the Monster, but I absolutely fell in love with the Speed Triple.

It wasn't until recently when I started considering the Daytona.

It's partly fault of my brother too. He is about to buy a new Mustang GT. Completely impractical car. I was being the reasonable one telling him to get something fun and sporty but still usable for everyday car.

He said that you're young only once, and most likely he will sell the car in few years and get something more practical. There's no better time to make stupid decisions when you're young and can afford it.

Two months ago we were buying a Suzuki S83 for our father from a 70 year old guy, who just got back to riding motorcycle.

First he tried cruisers, then he went into sportsbikes. Now he rides an R6 and loves it. I don't want to be 70 years old myself and finally be irrational enough to start riding a Daytona or an R6. I still want to try riding a bike like that when I am young and healthy enough not to worry about arthritis lol

I feel that I am old enough and experienced enough not to kill myself on a sports bike like a run of the mill squid.

For the city I will use my V-strom anyway. It's a pretty unappealing bike to thieves and very practical for a commute (suspension wise)

And yup, it's not going to be a very comfortable bike, nor very practical. But I am hoping that it will give me a lot of thrill rides.

PS- I heard rumors that Yamaha is going to come out with a race replica bike with the Fz9 engine.

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site

I have found this to indeed be the case - a showroom 'sitting' isn't the same as getting it out - which is a PITA as most dealers will not let you test ride a bike. Any place that does, deserves your business imho. A SS 'feels' great and certainly even in the showroom you 'feel' more 'one with the bike' sitting on it. (you're practically giving it a reach-around if you're on it properly!) However I guess in slightly old age, comfort and 'distance' trips are more important to me than feeling my **** grow cold from tank contact. ;)

You should always ride what you 'want' - your 'needs' will adjust accordingly, I have also found that out. I wish I had space and $ for a small fleet of bikes..

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is another idea: Sign up for California Superbike School! Sure it's pricey, BUT.. you get to ride a BMW S1000RR all day AND you will learn a whole lot from some of the best in the business.. while also getting a very good idea of what a race bike feels like :D

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is another idea: Sign up for California Superbike School! Sure it's pricey, BUT.. you get to ride a BMW S1000RR all day AND you will learn a whole lot from some of the best in the business.. while also getting a very good idea of what a race bike feels like :D

That's actually a fantastic idea. I have a birthday coming up too, haha.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
You know it's funny because the idea for the Daytona actually was seeded by you. I remember you raving about it haha.

Last year I narrowed it down to either Speed Triple or Monster 1100 Evo. I never got the chance to test ride the Monster, but I absolutely fell in love with the Speed Triple.

It wasn't until recently when I started considering the Daytona.

It's partly fault of my brother too. He is about to buy a new Mustang GT. Completely impractical car. I was being the reasonable one telling him to get something fun and sporty but still usable for everyday car.

He said that you're young only once, and most likely he will sell the car in few years and get something more practical. There's no better time to make stupid decisions when you're young and can afford it.

Two months ago we were buying a Suzuki S83 for our father from a 70 year old guy, who just got back to riding motorcycle.

First he tried cruisers, then he went into sportsbikes. Now he rides an R6 and loves it. I don't want to be 70 years old myself and finally be irrational enough to start riding a Daytona or an R6. I still want to try riding a bike like that when I am young and healthy enough not to worry about arthritis lol

I feel that I am old enough and experienced enough not to kill myself on a sports bike like a run of the mill squid.

For the city I will use my V-strom anyway. It's a pretty unappealing bike to thieves and very practical for a commute (suspension wise)

And yup, it's not going to be a very comfortable bike, nor very practical. But I am hoping that it will give me a lot of thrill rides.

PS- I heard rumors that Yamaha is going to come out with a race replica bike with the Fz9 engine.

Of course it's my fault! I'll take that blame happily!

Ride as many as you can, buy what your heart tells you to.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
:(

I test rode the Daytona and as much as I wanted to love it, I just hated it.

I don't know how people ride these bikes on the street.

Eric was right, if I would buy it, the bike wouldn't see much miles.

Maybe someday I will get a track bike if I ever get into track days, but for now nope.