All aftermarket exhausts now illegal in WA?

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was just looking through the Washington state motorcycle laws again to see what the DB limits are for the exhausts, but that section is now gone. This is what I found instead:

RCW 46.37.537
Motorcycles — Exhaust system.

No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motorcycle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle not equipped as required by this section, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this section.
:eek:
RCW 46.37.537: Motorcycles ? Exhaust system.

But wait, there's more. It's illegal to mod ANY street vehicles exhaust in a way that would produce any extra noise (unless it's a classic):

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.
RCW 46.37.390: Mufflers required ? Smoke and air contaminant standards ? Definitions ? Penalty, exception.

How lame is that? A loud a** stock Harly is fine, but I can't have a safer exhaust on my bike! Why does my state hate bikers. And when did this law change? I've looked it up before, after I got my FZ6. I really want a TwoBrother or Leovince system, but I don't want to spend that much money if I'll just have to remove it anyway! Has anyone in my state had problems from the cops over their exhaust lately?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Two Brothers aren't street legal to begin with and most harley's aren't that loud from the factory either. Loud pipes save lives? I'm not knocking you, TB or anyone with a loud bike/car, but it does get rather annoying sometimes. This comes of a former TB owner.

I say if you want them then install them.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually it's not that unusual. A lot of states have similiar laws on the books they just are not enforced. NC, FL, KY are just a few I can think of right off. Just something else that can throw at you if you pi$$ them off.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an aftermarket Vance and Hines exhaust on my first bike, and it was LOUD. I hated it. I could tell I was irritating everyone around me. Put stock back on. I'm not in favor of loud motorcycle exhausts. Intrudes upon my "live and let live" philosophy, which means don't bug other people with loud noises.

I don't think any study has shown that Loud Pipes Save Lives. If I felt like I had to irritate everyone within a square mile of me to be safe riding, I'd give up riding.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if there are any studies indicating that loud pipes save lives. However, I will use the sound of my after market Remus Exhaust in way so that it's considered defensive. I find myself gearing down on purpose so that my bike is louder than it should when I find myself riding in heavy traffic or if I find a vehicle is alongside me, just to let them know that I'm there. Certainly would rather have it that way than riding in stealth mode where they might or can't hear you, because we all know that they can't or won't see you. Today's technology in soundproofing vehicles, and better stereos, and constant talk on the cell phone or texting, I find that having a loud exhaust is a way to equalize the situation, and making it safer for everyone. Call it what you want, but I use the "noise" as a defensive tool just like an emergency vehicle using their siren.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a problem on my Ducati witch is very loud and none of the guys that I ride with that also have loud exhausts . I work not to far from a Harley dealer and I have never seen a COP with a hole group of them pulled over

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
WI has a similar statute. It all depends on whether or not A)You act like a dick when you're pulled over. B) The cop who pulled you has a hard-on. Just don't ride like a dick and have your revs around 12k constantly and you should be fine.

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not really some "Loud pipes save lives" nut, but there are way too many SUV's on the roads. And I've seen first hand how too many people don't look over their shoulder when changing lanes. Most cage drivers even set their side mirrors to look at the very same patch of road they see in their rear view mirror, they just don't get it! I've had my own close calls on multi-lane roads due to SUV's not paying any attention, and I fully expect it to happen again.

One thing I really like about the TwoBrother's is it's fairly easy to baffle it to the sound level you want. I don't want to be the loudest guy out their. I had a really loud truck when I was younger, I like my cars to be quite and stealthy now. My dad had an Iron Horse that was WAY loud just stock. I don't want to be that loud, mostly just noticeable (as well as deeper and sweet sounding).

I didn't think we had a problem with the noise law we had. This new law is just unbalanced and absurd. Think of the thousands of sports cars which have performance exhausts on them, but aren't considered to be loud. Why should they be illegal too, not everyone drives a Hodna Civic with a noise maker tip.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
CA has laws like that too, similar wording. The only problem I see is getting it inspected. But here in CA if you bought the bike here, and you live here, you don't have to get it inspected unless a judge orders you to.

The thing is, A LOT of little things are illegal. 99.9% of cops either don't care, or don't know.
My TB exhaust is loud as hell and everytime I ride by a cop, I pull in the clutch and hit the throttle a couple times. They never care.

My dad has an old shovelhead sportster, No guages at all, No turn signals, one mirror, and the lights used to be run off of a magneto(kick start, no battery)
He told me a story of one time he when he got pulled over, the cop walked around his bike for 15 minutes just looking for something to write him a ticket for. Finally the dick said aha! turn signals, what year is your bike? And apparently the bike came out one year after it was legal to not have turn signals.(1976 i think)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not really some \"Loud pipes save lives\" nut, but there are way too many SUV's on the roads. And I've seen first hand how too many people don't look over their shoulder when changing lanes. Most cage drivers even set their side mirrors to look at the very same patch of road they see in their rear view mirror, they just don't get it! I've had my own close calls on multi-lane roads due to SUV's not paying any attention, and I fully expect it to happen again.

One thing I really like about the TwoBrother's is it's fairly easy to baffle it to the sound level you want. I don't want to be the loudest guy out their. I had a really loud truck when I was younger, I like my cars to be quite and stealthy now. My dad had an Iron Horse that was WAY loud just stock. I don't want to be that loud, mostly just noticeable (as well as deeper and sweet sounding).

I didn't think we had a problem with the noise law we had. This new law is just unbalanced and absurd. Think of the thousands of sports cars which have performance exhausts on them, but aren't considered to be loud. Why should they be illegal too, not everyone drives a Hodna Civic with a noise maker tip.

+1. Because of all the stupid drivers, being loud is the only thing we can do to not get killed.

I see atleast 50 mexicans(not a racist term, just a fact) a day driving their civics with fart cannons that are actually louder than any motorcycle I've seen. But it does make me laugh when they rev it up to the top of 1st and they're only doing 15mph.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I'm in the "Louder the Better" group.

Before I put my Leo's on, I would get some idiot cutting into my lane, not looking over the shoulder, basically all of the stupid things cagers do, at least once a week, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

Since I put them on, not one single incident of cager stupidity. The only thing that changed was the amount of noise coming out the back of my bike. I still ride the same way, take the same streets, at the same times, and no trouble at all.

I used to worry about the noise, so kept the dB killers in for a while, but I removed them for a group ride one weekend, and haven't put them back in.

I have even got compliments on how nice the bike sounds from complete strangers, so I don't think too many people are offended by loud pipes.

:)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
luckily you can always say that it was installed before the law was put into effect and is therefor grandfathered under the old law.

Anyone in WA want to sell their aftermarket pipes to me cheap? :)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It's really great how loud pipes do alert people. There's no reason to use a horn, just use the throttle, people get the idea.
One time I was riding on the highway and some kids in a car next to me made the throttle movement with their hands, so I pulled in the clutch and let it sing. The truck about 50 feet infront of me got out of my way! I felt bad because I wasn't doing it to him, but what are you gonna do.