Airbox mod

drilling your air box

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
i was thinking of doing the air box mod. and was wondering if it worth it or not? any real noticable power gain by drilling your airbox?

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it on my 1st FZ, it was stock as far as performance mods I could not tell a difference onther than it being a little louder.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did it on mine and it seemed to give some more midrange power, but at the cost of the low end, for a couple days it seemed to bog down off the start,

It did however seem to smooth out again and i am happy with the sound and feel of the bike. God for it, just don;t get scared with the change in feel while the ECU adjusts.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only real thing i noticed was increased induction noise, and maybe a little more grunt, but probably only imagined.

:thumbup:

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did the air box mod on my 07, i think the 07 have a different ECU, as far as A/F ratio. When i did the mod it was done with the PC111, Scorp cans and K&N air filter so it's hard to tell. But, IMO PC111 adjusts the A/F ratio by putting a exhaust on the air goes out quicker, so the ECU adds more gas. By doing the air box mod air is going through the biker even faster, so the ECU feeds it more gas. The one thing i did notice was the sound from the air box was deeper. I hoped that made séance, or if it answered the question. :D

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
When I did mine it definitely gave it a healthier tone. I didn't really notice much difference in power, a minimal gain if any. If you decide to do it, there are tons of members who have posted how-tos, including me, to give you a good reference of how to go about it. Also, if you decide to mod it, your bike may seem sluggish and boggy at first but after the computer adjusts it should be fine.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I said yes but I don't think it gives you more power. I do think it did just what Rob said and help out the mid-range a lot more. It did slump the low-end a bit but now I just use a bit higher RPMs to compensate for it. I do not believe that it actually increases HP at all, just lets the engine breathe a lot better.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
I say just go for it. If you don't like it after it's done just buy a replacement Air Box cover from Ron Ayers. It's only $10 or so

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I only cut a small amount from mine and didn't really feel any difference in power. It is a little louder but nothing too crazy (and that was all I was looking for.) You can start small and keep making bigger hole until you get where you want and if you go overboard you can get a new lid for pretty cheap. Go for it!

W

wrightme43

Resonant airboxes are tuned and built for a specific purpose. I.E. to smooth out the torque curve of your engine. They also perform a secondary function which is to lower noise levels.

Leave it be. You cant make it better by cutting pieces out of it.