Ahhhh! Nothing like a clean chain! (Pics)

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was bike wash day today (my idea of workout), so I decided to also degrease & clean the chain + the rear sprocket before the bath; they were getting really messy.

I did a good job, I'm proud of myself! :D

N

Naykid

It was bike wash day today (my idea of workout), so I decided to also degrease & clean the chain + the rear sprocket before the bath; they were getting really messy.

Nice job. What did you use to get it that clean?

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the cleanest chain and sproket...^^
I did couple of times myself, but couldn't get that much clean... (lazy boy who I am.. ha ha ha)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, awesome job. Googled chain brush. Why had I never heard of these before? I know the next thing I am buying now. Thanks for sharing. I'll have my new chain in pretty soon, now I have something to keep it beautiful with.

Any concerns about damaging O-rings tho by using water after you have taken all the lube off? I thought the chain lube was to keep water and grime out of the inner workings of the o-rings and the chain?

btw, chian brush:

DRC-Chain-brushSML.jpg

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
brush, etc

Wow, awesome job. Googled chain brush. Why had I never heard of these before? I know the next thing I am buying now. Thanks for sharing. I'll have my new chain in pretty soon, now I have something to keep it beautiful with.

Any concerns about damaging O-rings tho by using water after you have taken all the lube off? I thought the chain lube was to keep water and grime out of the inner workings of the o-rings and the chain?

I’m using a 3 sided chain brush, identical with this:
Cycle Gear - FINISH LINE: The Grunge Brush,

The directions on the Chain Cleaner can are clear: spray cleaner over dirty chain (cold), rub with brush as needed, and rinse with cold water.
It will leave no residue or film, is clean like a dream.

A little bit of extra work with the brush at the sprocket, where thicker deposit of grime was present, but the Chain Cleaner is loosing up the grime at the 2nd application like a charm.

I used this cleaner before with same results. I don’t rub the chain very hard with the brush so I won’t deteriorate the o-rings, just gently, to loose that grime.

From what I know, the o-rings are keeping the grease needed to lube the chain intact and on the outside the chain needs only some minor lubrication so it won’t rust, etc (and that lubricant should be “o-ring safe”)
Practically you can’t damage the chain by cleaning it from the grime & dirt, as long as your o-rings are intact.

I’m switching to DuPont Teflon Lubricant and I needed to start with a clean chain.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, so clean. Even worthy of the handle "ChainSmoker." (of course, some poor person might then try to solidify any possible future controversial dispute with poster by pointing to the "nasty habit.") You know something: we're ALL "Chainsmokers" on our sleek and lightweight ultra fast FZ6's!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I really wonder about these "spray with a hose" cleaning procedures. So you spray, scrub (gently), then hose off. All that grease drips on the driveway and goes into the sewer? in my case, it will go onto the edge of the lawn or edge where rocks meet my lawn. Maybe it's not so bad -- but is it like dumping oil into the ground?

The chain does look mighty clean :thumbup:.

Thanks,

Dennis

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's not so bad -- but is it like dumping oil into the ground?

Thanks,

Dennis

I don’t know, those were the directions on the spray can, but I think if will be that bad, it won’t be approved for sale here in US.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really wonder about these "spray with a hose" cleaning procedures. So you spray, scrub (gently), then hose off. All that grease drips on the driveway and goes into the sewer? in my case, it will go onto the edge of the lawn or edge where rocks meet my lawn. Maybe it's not so bad -- but is it like dumping oil into the ground?

Thanks,

Dennis

every motorcyclists in north america dumping used motoroil and chain grime into the sewers?

still less damaging than what's going on with that offshore oil drilling gone wrong.....

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
looks nice. i love a clean chain too. I get to it every couple weeks. I never understood letting a chain get to the point of turning black.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All that grease drips on the driveway and goes into the sewer? in my case, it will go onto the edge of the lawn or edge where rocks meet my lawn. Maybe it's not so bad -- but is it like dumping oil into the ground?

Dennis,

I forgot to tell you that at contact with the chain cleaner, that black grime and dirt is instantly dissolved and what you hose down with water is nothing but clean water with a hint of white residue (very light, like 5-10%), almost transparent.
Nothing is greasy, black or noticeable when the 1st spray of water hits the ground, not to mention after 10 seconds when you rinse turning the wheel, is just water.
Hope this answer some questions.

darkrider

Reaction score
Visit site

Just curious, after cleaning so thoroughly, do you need to re-grease it?

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Dame - wish my chain and sprocket could look like yours, you show off lol

My rear sprocket is 'blaaack' - used to be nice and silver :) and no matter what i use, i cannot get that dame shine back...

vj

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
So what's the perceived wisdom on cleaning the rear wheel? I have loads of chain lube, road grime, etc... and it's a bugger to get off. Should I use the chain cleaner or will it harm the wheel?