Advice on suspension

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, some info about my situation. I'm a new rider and have an 07 Fz6. I am 255lbs w/o gear and my wife who rides with me (on the back) is 130lbs. I realize that the two of us are close to the maximum load capacity for the bike. My wife rides with me about a quarter of the time.

The problem is when we are both on the bike and hit some rough patches on the road, or are riding on back roads the rear tire comes in contact with the license plate. I do have a fender eliminator that did move the plate closer to the tire.

I feel like I would benefit from a stiffer suspension set-up even when riding by myself. I've read the threads on here about suspension and would like some input about my particular situation.

My mechanical back round comes from cars, not bikes. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I am finding out there is a lot more to bike suspension than I thought.

Thanks for any replies.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
First off, some info about my situation. I'm a new rider and have an 07 Fz6. I am 255lbs w/o gear and my wife who rides with me (on the back) is 130lbs. I realize that the two of us are close to the maximum load capacity for the bike. My wife rides with me about a quarter of the time.

The problem is when we are both on the bike and hit some rough patches on the road, or are riding on back roads the rear tire comes in contact with the license plate. I do have a fender eliminator that did move the plate closer to the tire.

I feel like I would benefit from a stiffer suspension set-up even when riding by myself. I've read the threads on here about suspension and would like some input about my particular situation.

My mechanical back round comes from cars, not bikes. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I am finding out there is a lot more to bike suspension than I thought.

Thanks for any replies.

As it happens, the FZ6 suspension is about the simplest setup in modern motorcycles.

The rear suspension is a simple shock with coil over spring. No rising rate linkages to complicate things.

The fork is a simple damper rod design. The only complicated thing in there is the rising rate springs..... which are too soft for the weight of yourself and the lady. Heck, it's too soft just with you on board.

The best thing you could do is replace the springs in the front and rear, with units rated for the total weight of you and your passenger. That would be enough to give you better control when you ride one up, as well.

Change out the fork oil to thicker stuff at the same time.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to make sure you've done is turn the preload all the way up. It generally comes set at "3", and you can bump the preload up to 5. That's where I'd start, shy of replacing the suspension.

Not many places will just respring the shocks, and the places that will recommend revalving of the shock.

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing I did after reading the manual was turn the pre-load up all the way to 7. I was looking at pkoosa's HyperPro install thread with great interest. That seems like a all-inclusive kit that is the most straight forward. Anyone else have it? Comments?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The first thing I did after reading the manual was turn the pre-load up all the way to 7. I was looking at pkoosa's HyperPro install thread with great interest. That seems like a all-inclusive kit that is the most straight forward. Anyone else have it? Comments?

I took my bike to a suspension guy, and had him install an Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock, with spring rated for my weight. At the same time he installed Ohlins 0.9 Kg fork springs, and did mods to the baffles controlling rebound and compression.

By far, the best money I spent on that bike. Not saying it's going to be impossible to get it set up yourself; just that it's a lot faster to get it right when you have someone with experience showing you what's needed.

The target weight for the rider considered by Yamaha would seem to be about 150 lbs, in full gear.

With gear (if you wear the right stuff) you are probably pushing 240... your 130 lb passenger with proper riding apparel is nearer to 150... close enough to 400 lbs that the springs are overcome by the weight. It doesn't handle as well, when the fork and swing arm are nearly fully compressed standing still. Any sort of pothole, railroad track, manhole cover, etc. is going to bottom out the suspension when you are in motion.

I would strongly suggest that you check out the hyperpro site, and Ohlins, and Penske, and see what the rates are for the correct springs given your actual use. (street riding, two up... occasional track days, somewhere in between? Touring?)

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
So what happens if you exceed the weight limit of the bike when riding 2 up with no suspension upgrades? is it bad for the bike any more than just bottoming it out?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So what happens if you exceed the weight limit of the bike when riding 2 up with no suspension upgrades? is it bad for the bike any more than just bottoming it out?

It's the same as riding a hard tailed bike, at that point. If you consume the range of motion given by the swing arm and fork, all you have left is the side walls of the tires to absorb whatever the road throws at you.

At the rear of the bike, this means that all the shots from the road have to get fed into the frame... that means the force is beating on the swing arm bearings. Up front, that means the steering stem bearings are going to have to deal with it.

If the wheel cannot rise over a bump, the frame must move. It's possible for the wheels to leave the road surface as a result. In a straight line, obviously that's not as much of a concern as in a corner, or when you are trying to brake.....

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
After some research I think I'm going with the Hyperpro Kit. The fact that they are rising rate and I ride with my wife occasionally makes that more appealing.

Can anyone comment on the Hyperpro kit?

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
well does anyone have an extra tool kit they may be looking to part with as the previous owner misplaced it and couldnt find it when he sold me the bike