Adjusting rear shock preload

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When my suspension was totally stock, I set the shock at either 4 or 5. I weigh 175 w/o gear. It was better but when I had it up at 5, however the balance between the frontend and rearend seemed unbalanced to me. Once I installed my Race Tech springs if feel balanced and even between the two ends.

The stock shock is actually pretty good for general street riding. When pushed the damping is not quite there, but that will depand a lot on your weight.

Even if you don't want to do the RT springs a heavier oil will help a lot too. The stock oil is 5 or 7, I've seen both numbers, a 10, 12 or 15 will greatly improve the front to help balance out changes to the rear.

Tripps

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but does the centre-stand have to be down to adjust the preload?

TIA

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had my coffee yet, so I may have to come back and edit this later...

As has been stated by others, determining the correct setting for the rear shock preload is found by measuring the sag of the bike.

I did a quick google search and the first hit was the site below. It's got a pretty good breakdown of suspension concepts and even some pictures. (But they don't seem to know how to spell "tire".) ;o)

Motorcycle Suspension Setup - motor-racing.co.uk

Unfortunately, they talk about adjustments that our stock suspension doesn't offer -- rebound on the shock, and any external adjustment on the fork.

I definitely wouldn't recommend using your rear shock absorber as a means to adjust ride height. The spring preload is there to get the damper set correctly for your weight. And when you're checking the sag to set the shock, you'll want to pay attention to what's going on with the fork. It should sag the correct amount as well. Balance is what we're after.

As Hellgate mentioned, there are different weight oils that can be used for the fork. Changing fork oil weight will change the amount that the fork sags but different weight oil will also cause the fork to behave differently. Examples include, too light an oil weight for a larger rider will cause the fork to just blow through its travel and possibly/likely bottom out. Too heavy and you may not get any responsiveness, any feedback from the front end.

Forgive me for the blah blah blah. Suspension is really not all that mysterious once you get a good understanding of the core concepts. Keep asking questions folks!

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, meant to answer Tripps question, too. Not a dumb question at all.

It doesn't matter which stand the bike is on. Though bear in mind that when you turn the adjuster you're increasing/decreasing the amount of initial pressure placed upon the spring. I suppose it's possible that placing the bike on the center stand, thereby unweighting the damper, could make the turning of the adjuster a little easier. But I don't think it'll make a huge difference, unless yours is particularly old, grimy, or sticky.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 150, and set on 4. I expreimented with all the settings and various tire pressures. I found that 4 keeps my front end from diving too much and the rear from feeling "skitty."
Don't forget to tweak your tire pressures when adjusting the suspension. With the stiffer shock, I had to dial down some tire pressure in order to reduce the tendency to slide.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The best way to determine the correct setting is sag. Another, less precise way is to go ride a portion of your twisty road. Make a small adjustment. Lather, rinse, repeat. Small adjustments. Which on our stock bikes really only means turning the adjuster one click at a time in either direction.

Given your weight, I'm guessing you will fall, er sorry, be happy with it set on 3 or 4. So you might even run a stretch with it set on 2. I would imagine that the rear end will wallow and you'll feel as if the road is sorta sucking the power from your bike on 2. Try setting 5 and see if you can even feel your rear suspension moving. I'm guessing here, but it will probably lack feel. It may "feel" almost like it's rigid.

A bike is at its best when, during cornering, the suspension is extended not compressed. This is another reason to ride smooth, do your braking before the corner and be pouring the gas back on, smoothly, at the apex.

I'm not a big fan of attempting to change or adjust handling with tire pressure. I understand that a few pounds up or down may be a suitable call for addressing slight changes in ambient or road temps, but it's just not the same as setting the dampers correctly to begin with. And of course, you may want to change the fluid in your fork...but that's probably another thread.

My .02, change gladly given. Standard disclaimers apply, ymmv, void where prohibited...

Last edited:

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
I found the factory setting (3) to be to harsh. I set it at 1 and for me, 200lbs with no passengers, it made for a much more enjoyable ride, it seems to match the suppleness of the front forks better. I didn't notice any difference in ride height.

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'4\" and pushing 250, thanks to Chipotle, so I jacked mine up to 7, but the front end dive was a little excessive for normal city riding, so I dropped it to 5, and it's just right for normal day on the bike.
Since I tend to lean my weight up over the tank in slows and stops, it just felt too squishy in the front with that stiffness in the rear, especially on downhill right-hand turns.

When your braking the weight of the bike moves forward, so you need to move your weight back, The rear wheel goes light as the cof g moves forward you counter this by moving back in the seat/sitting up.
Lean forward when accelerating to keep the front down.

s2vml

s2 vml
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, tried adjusting the pre load on my bike but i dont seem to get anywhere with it as the ring refuses to move in either direction with the wrench provided. can anyone give me step to step instructions on how to do it please ? note i have nt got a centre stand :confused:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, tried adjusting the pre load on my bike but i dont seem to get anywhere with it as the ring refuses to move in either direction with the wrench provided. can anyone give me step to step instructions on how to do it please ? note i have nt got a centre stand :confused:

Are you using the extention handle with the wrench as well? Sure it is hooked in? It can be tough to move but even on the side stand it should move in both directions. It can take some brute force though. Give it some force. It will move.

ptastuart

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a track day on Sunday. I am 90kg.

I found that the bike was all over the place on factory setting #3. I then set it to #4 and found the bike was better coming out of corners and kept it's line better. I also managed to get rid of the chicken strips. :D

Adjust to your weight!

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
isnt there a guide/table? with rider total weight and setting 1-7??? with what im hearing, the factory setting 3, is definitely too little for me, with aprox 220lbs total rider weight

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
isnt there a guide/table? with rider total weight and setting 1-7??? with what im hearing, the factory setting 3, is definitely too little for me, with aprox 220lbs total rider weight

If we take the payload of the FZ as around 400lbs then it would make sense that at 400lbs or so the preload would be 7.

From that logic 3 or 4 may well suit the heavier rider.