Rear spring tool

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone, Im new to the forum, new to riding, and have a new (to me) '06 fz6... one issue. im roughly 5'7 or so, a little on the short side, and my feet DO sit firmly on the ground, unfortunately I don't feel the most comfortable and I feel i would feel much better if it was lowered about an inch or so. It is currently at the stock position "3"

my only issue is, when I bought the bike, It did not come with the stock tool bag, so my question to you genius forum members is, is there a way to change the setting without using that specific tool?

also, if anyone has a spare bag that they can hook a (somewhat broke) college student up with a decent price or just a list of said tools that come from the factory would also be excellent!

Thanks!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i used to use one of these bad boys on my dirtbike:

images

Probably not the best to use on a street bike you want to keep pretty, but if you're careful, it should do the job ;)

Oh and welcome!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hakn%C3%83%C2%B8gle.jpg

I have no idea what the English/American word for this wrench/spanner is? On Danish it's "haknøgle"...

Ride your bike to a tool shop and show them this picture and they might be able to find the right size for the rear shock.

Maybe it's just cheaper to buy it at Yamaha (or of course a spare set from a fellow FZ6 rider).

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank both of you! The one tool above looks like the right one, now just to get my hands on one :)

I wonder if I went to the Yamaha place here if they would let me borrow it right there for free!... free is always nice :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys are parting out bikes all the time here on the forum. Check under "Bikes/parts for sale", ie :

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/47900-09-fz6-partout.html

Shouldn't be hard to find.

BTW, Yamaha uses pretty much the same (some slight differences) for all their shocks. I'd be really surprised if your local shop didn't have one to borrow as you can adjust it in the parking lot.

BTW, put the bike on the center stand to get the load off the rear end, it'll be easier to adjust the spring. They'll likely be crap in there from wear and tear (and road debris).

A small shot of WD 40 would help if its real sticky..

From E-bay:

Spanner Shock Wrench Pre Load Adjuster HYOSUNG Honda | eBay

Shock Absorber Pre Load Spanner Wrench Tool ATV Motorcycle Snowmobile Dirt Bike | eBay

If your any good with steel fabrication and have the proper tools, you could make one out of flat steel. Make a template first out of cardboard, trace it to 1/4 or less steel plate and trim away!!!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike didn't come with any tools either. I found original tool-set on eBay for about $25.

Here's something important though: backing off pre-load is NOT something you should do to lower the bike. Pre-load should be set correctly for you weight so your suspension works best while you're riding.

If it's set too soft for you, it's going to screw up the way the bike handles. At just over 160, I had to keep mine at 3 (sometimes 4). The bike felt like a couch at 2.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Erci. Keep the preload adjusted corectly. How much do you weigh? Your best bet is to simply get used to riding the bike and get more comfortable on it. At 5' 7", you are not too short for the stock suspension. My dad is 5' 5" and can ride my bike, although it is a bit big and heavy for him.

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike didn't come with any tools either. I found original tool-set on eBay for about $25.

Here's something important though: backing off pre-load is NOT something you should do to lower the bike. Pre-load should be set correctly for you weight so your suspension works best while you're riding.

If it's set too soft for you, it's going to screw up the way the bike handles. At just over 160, I had to keep mine at 3 (sometimes 4). The bike felt like a couch at 2.

If you can find me a link to that tool pack that would be awesome, all the ones ive found are like 50+ dollars.

and I understand about the preload thing, but I DO only weigh 150 on a good day haha. I just feel if it was a little more sunk down when i sit on it- it would be perfect. Now that I have been riding much more on it, it is much comfortable but i would feel better if it was just a tiny bit lower, the bike barely sits at all when I climb on top

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Erci. Keep the preload adjusted corectly. How much do you weigh? Your best bet is to simply get used to riding the bike and get more comfortable on it. At 5' 7", you are not too short for the stock suspension. My dad is 5' 5" and can ride my bike, although it is a bit big and heavy for him.

I have been slowly but surely getting used to it, but at 5'7" 145-50 lbs. the bike doesnt budge when i sit on her. I can manage to be flat footed on the ground but my boys end up being mashed up on the gas tank haha.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can find me a link to that tool pack that would be awesome, all the ones ive found are like 50+ dollars.

and I understand about the preload thing, but I DO only weigh 150 on a good day haha. I just feel if it was a little more sunk down when i sit on it- it would be perfect. Now that I have been riding much more on it, it is much comfortable but i would feel better if it was just a tiny bit lower, the bike barely sits at all when I climb on top

"Spencers" can customize your seat (cut it down) for you and he's not far from you:

Page 1

He does Excellent work, usually done within a day. Shipping takes longer than he does...