A full custom rebuild!

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Lower shock mount is finished and installed, hooked up the the tri-link and dog bones :cheer:, I'll build the upper shock mount tomorrow, she's not finished but I still get excited just looking at her.
SH106101.jpg

SH106102.jpg

SH106103.jpg

My assembly lube of choice, it's the same stuff the U.S. Army uses to rebuild the M1 Abrams tank engine, it works in any temperture from -65 to 2600 Farenheight.
SH106104.jpg

Ooohhhhh...sparkly
SH106107.jpg

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! Love the bright orange, and the forks/swingarm/front fender/headlight make this bike look completely unique and totally mean looking!!

Although, I have to say, I'm not feeling the diamond plate radiator covers. I think it doesn't flow well with the rest of the bike. Maybe paint them black to match the frame/motor or possibly gold to match the wheels/forks. It just doesn't look right with it being the only silver thing on the bike basically. If it were my bike, I would just paint the stock radiator covers black or just leave the covers off and put black screws in the holes. Just my opinion, though...

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I did have the stock radiator guards painted bronze aswell, but some a**hole stole them. :confused:

Thieves will steal anything! If it makes you feel any better, the screws came loose on one of mine and it fell off. No idea where it went. I ended up ordering a new one from ronayers.com.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking great and truly unique! Well done!!

For the rad guards, how about something that more closely matches that awesome front fender? ;)

Nice work man!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the looks of the R6 swingarm on this bike. Makes it look much more refined compared to the stocker.

I was looking at some of your construction photos and came across something that concerns me a bit (I reattached a photo). Not trying to dog on anyone, but the weld quality on the lower shock support scares me a little. A major part of my job is quality inspection for large scale fabrication/manufacturing in the power generation field so I am looking at welds nearly every day. It looks to me as if the heat was a little low and the wire feed was a little slow on the welder that was used. I say that because it looks like there is very little weld penetration and the weld is "choppy". The "choppy' welds will yield higher stress areas or areas prone to cracking which, when coupled with the shallow penetration, could be a risky combination. Once the bike is on the road there are going to be some HUGE impact forces in this area as you hit bumps, potholes, etc..., especially given the dog-link geometry. I may be off base as it is difficult to tell from the photographs. But, I feel better saying something in hope of avoiding failure or, at least, informing you of my concerns from past experiences.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice skooter65, they look choppy cause I tried to make a 'wider' second weld over the first one, but the first weld is correct, I will moniter everything and if I find anything wrong I'll remove it and correct it, I had my father inspect everything as I was building it, he's a trained welder and machinist for the Army, he used to build M1 Abrams tank engines, so nothing went on the bike unless he said it was ok, but I WILL watch everything, you never know when the unexpected will happen.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice skooter65, they look choppy cause I tried to make a 'wider' second weld over the first one, but the first weld is correct, I will moniter everything and if I find anything wrong I'll remove it and correct it, I had my father inspect everything as I was building it, he's a trained welder and machinist for the Army, he used to build M1 Abrams tank engines, so nothing went on the bike unless he said it was ok, but I WILL watch everything, you never know when the unexpected will happen.

Good to hear!!!

Again, I almost didn't say anything but I didn't want to see a post next summer saying " My shock busted off my bike and killed a squirrel!!"

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Looks awesome. The colors and front end remind me of a KTM super duke!

I wasn't all that concerned about the weld on the shock mount, but if it were me, I'd reverse the nut/bolt direction if possible and have the nuts on the bottom. I'd much rather have just the nut vibrate off and loose the nut, instead of the nut vibrating off and having the bolt fall out!