My bike is being featured in a magazine!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as quite a few of you know, i have a rather heavily modified FZ6 sitting in my shed! Has had about $20000 spent on it, and as such, is a pretty special thing....

Well, for a while now, people have been either asking me whether it has featured in any bike mag's, or that i should get in contact with a magazine or two, as it that sort of bike! In fact, i sent one photo to a particular mag a while back, and they asked me to send more, or to get back to them when i was ready to show the thing off as "finished"....

So, the other night, i finally got round to writing a big long e-mail detailing all that i had done to the bike, and attached a truckload of detail photo's, and dutifully sent the e-mail off to the magazine in question....Rapid Bikes, definitely Australia's leading bike rag, when it comes to modified street bikes...

Well, you could of blown me over with a feather when the magazine got back to me less than 2 days later, with a reply.

Quote: "Wow that is cool mate -
Can you fill in the attached Spec sheet? I'll organise a photographer in SA. Love to feature the bike with a full story.
Jeff"

So, without any further ado, i can announce that my bike is set to feature in Rapid Bikes in the near future!

What does a feature in Rapid Bike's entail???, i hear you say....well normally it's between 3-6 pages devoted specifically to the bike, with a detailed history, how it came to be, what's been done, etc....plus a truckload of big high res detail photo's of the various bits and pieces....

So to get a feature, you dont just have to have a nice ride, but it needs to be "something a bit special", cause the standard of featured bikes is normally incredibly high....

So, not only was i delighted, but i was a bit taken aback, as i have always thought my bike was nice, but i was never quite convinced that it was "something a bit special"!!!!

What this really means is that, i now have a massive spec sheet to fill out, which will take me hours!!!! But more importantly i have to detail the bike!!!!!

The detailing has begun, in fact, with the ever present help of my "fellow nutjob", Mikey (Ozzieboy to you lot), we have spent most of the last 3 days getting busy on the detailing of the bike....

The bike was already super duper clean, but high res photo's take NO prisoners when it comes to showing up any flaws, or bits that are not quite "right", so the detail begun....

So far we have dissasembled the rear wheel completely (including removing the rear brake disc), re-polished the rear wheel, Mikey polished the rear brake caliper mount, and gave the gold chain a real good clean on each side, i cleaned up my gold 46 tooth GYTR aluminium 520 pitch rear sprocket, and re-mounted it, cleaned the swingarm, polished the axle nut, re-greased the shaft, and spacers, poilshed the end of the axle bolt, and the axle nut washer.

So the back wheel is back in...while i had it out, i gave the titanium end caps a good clean, cleaned the end caps....remove all the bits of tyre rubber that has been flung up onto the underside of them and the end cans, took off the end caps, removed the baffles, replaced the fastening nuts with brand new high quality stainless bolts, as i did with the number plate, and rearsets....polished the powdercoated end caps, etc, etc...

We have removed my faux rear "mudguard", and my registration disc holder.

We cleaned up under the seat, and under the tank, making sure all wiring looms are neat as a pin, and gave everything a good clean under there as well...

Along the way, i have removed lots of other bolts from the bike, and given them a good polish....as has Mikey....all the brake rotor fastening nuts, rear sprocket nuts, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and by the way, Mikey, if you are reading this, after you left my joint in the early hours of this morning, i managed to "polish" the scuffs out of the frame, axle & fork sliders!!!!

The front wheel is out now, and the front brake disc's are almost off, bar one bolt that wont budge, due to a certain "stealership" burring the hex heads a bit more than a little bit, from when i let them fit the braking wave discs, a long time ago, before i was really tooled up to do such a job myself...so that's a pain, and it cost me $76 today, to get the RIGHT tool to ensure easy removal of the recalcitrant bolt!

Once the disc is off, i can then get down to the lengthy job of re-polishing the front wheel to "show" standard!!!

Once i have finished the initial detail, the bike will be sent back to the paintshop for a secondary detail, where any paint chips, scuffs, etc, will be addressed, before the probing eye of the high res camera comes near the painters original work...which was exceptional anyway....but it is a photo shoot, so at the least, the whole bike will be given a hardcore polish!!!!

Whilst the bike is at the paint shop, we are going to paint te disc carrierson both the front and rear brake discs gold....to match the rear sprocket, ohlins suspension, and the gold spot Yamaha monoblock radial brake calipers on the front of the bike....

When all this is done, i need to put a set of tyres on the bike....cause the present tyres are shot! Am thinking a set of very much track day tyres with minimal tread...which will mean that i will need to go and ride the wheels off the bike at least oncemore before the photo shoot, so that they look nice cand used....cant be having any big ol wide chicken strip's happening in the photo shoot! :D

I am just starting to understand how one of my glamour models must feel before an important photo shoot.....fix this, polish that, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, i am proud as punch....2 and a bit years of countless hours of hard toil to make my black FZ6 "Something special" is paying off via some very real recognition via a National respected motorcycle magazine....

As for those of you that want photo's....it's pretty hard to take photo's when your elbow deep in polishing dust! but i will endeavour to keep people updated with the whole process, and hopefully get a few photo's up of the various bits we have detailed....

I will say this though, a huge thanks to Mikey, cause he is just a big a part of this bikes development as me....he has "shared" and more than assisted me in getting the bike to where it is today....that is something that i wll be making sure people know about when the feature goes to print.....nice one Mikey!

Only thing that pi$$es me off right now, is that the bike probably wont have it's powershifter in place before the feature....

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is so cool! Let us know how we can get a copy of the magazine.
Is it published here?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is so cool! Let us know how we can get a copy of the magazine.
Is it published here?

Nope, it's an Australia & New Zealand only publication! :(

But i am sure i could send copies to interested parties.

soundgarden

Reaction score
Visit site
Its about damn time it gets a feature if u ask me. One of the coolest projects Ive seen for any type of bike :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its about damn time it gets a feature if u ask me. One of the coolest projects Ive seen for any type of bike :rockon:

Cheers...it has appeared in 3 mags already....Super Streetbike in America as part of a general feature on FZ6's (along with a few other forum member's bike's), in Rapid Bikes in the "My Ride" section, and in RALPH magazine as a prop!!!!, but never as a feature....it freaks me out, cause it could even end up on the cover, not as the main photo, but as a thumbnail....that would be freaky!

:thumbup:

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Congratulations man!

Keep us updated on how thi gs go and all. Will we be able to see the spread on your bike off of their website once it is put in an issue?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Congratulations man!

Keep us updated on how thi gs go and all. Will we be able to see the spread on your bike off of their website once it is put in an issue?

Cheers again....as for the mag's website, here is a link to show you what i am in for!!!

Rapid Bikes

:eek:

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
....it freaks me out, cause it could even end up on the cover, not as the main photo, but as a thumbnail....that would be freaky!

Why not??:confused: No reason it won't be the main photo. Yes, they have **** hot bikes on the cover, but hey, they're not photographing your bike for no reason. How many bikes are featured each month. I reckon you've got a pretty good shot.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not??:confused: No reason it won't be the main photo. Yes, they have **** hot bikes on the cover, but hey, they're not photographing your bike for no reason. How many bikes are featured each month. I reckon you've got a pretty good shot.

Nah, they always put a pic of some photochopped bike that doesnt even exist that they wish did, or the latest and greatest production bike, or some crazy arsed bike from Oversea's that has had like $100000 spent on it!

Would be pretty cool though...

As for how many bikes do they feature a month, between 2 - 3....but i have noted that not all are as "clean" as mine...not a nut or bolt that aint shiny, not a bit of rust, corrosion, or backyarderish looking brackets, etc, anywhere on my bike....clean!!!

I think i just made up a new word... "backyarderish", Lol!

:D

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is awesome Jaime. As for you being unsure if your bike is 'special' don't forget to mention that:

- it got it's humble beginnings with donor parts from an FZ6 Cup bike
- it's been tweaked, then re-tweaked at least 5000 posts worth of time ;)
- it got hit by a drunk (note the absence of driver) and laid down, then recovered to what it is now

Those are a few examples, but I'm sure if I dig through the threads there are MANY more examples of what makes you bike 'special.'

Not to mention that it has, and still does serve as inspiration to a lot of guys who 'Go Naked' every year!

Good job, and I am interested in getting a copy of the mag when published :thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're gonna mention me, then you'd probably better mention that I was looking at buying that particular bike bike but some dude I'd never met bought it the day before, while I was organising money...lol. Makes it easy to pitch in with a bike that I already liked enough to buy before the work started;):D.

One of those odd coincidences that crop up from time to time:thumbup:.

Let 'em know to put up little painted figures to let everyone know how many kills you've made.....1 4WD, and a pedestrian:BLAA:.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
well if it is not a US publication $h!t. Some of us I am sure would love to actually hold such a magazine in our own two hands. However, I have a solution. Start a poll to see who would like a copy of the mag and figure out the cost to send a mag to the states. Based on the cost those willing to shell out the money can read about Frankenstein oops I mean your beautiful bike.
Hopefully you can get your hands on a boat lode of free copies so that might save some money as well. OK now that that is worked out I would like to place my name on the top of the US order list. thanks.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well if it is not a US publication $h!t. Some of us I am sure would love to actually hold such a magazine in our own two hands. However, I have a solution. Start a poll to see who would like a copy of the mag and figure out the cost to send a mag to the states. Based on the cost those willing to shell out the money can read about Frankenstein oops I mean your beautiful bike.
Hopefully you can get your hands on a boat lode of free copies so that might save some money as well. OK now that that is worked out I would like to place my name on the top of the US order list. thanks.

Oh don't worry I will tell them that I am an admin on the worlds biggest fz6 forum, and that everyone wants a copy... That should get me' at least 10 copies! Lol! But seriously, I am sure that I willbe able to sort out whoever really wants a copy of the feature, and such people will be looked after!!! :thumbup:

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in for the US order list. Your bike is getting the recognition it deserves, there are crazier customs out there but you have one of the coolest fz6's in the world which especially here in the US is kind of a niche bike congrats.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, it's an Australia & New Zealand only publication! :(

But i am sure i could send copies to interested parties.

I gotta get a copy Jamie !! i'm gonna pm you my address This is Freaking Awesome !!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well today i am getting to the front wheel, after having a bugger of a time getting out the last of the disc carrier bolts which had been put in cross threaded by some retard at the bike "stealership" where i had the disc's put on the bike, before i was tooled up to do such a job myself...

It was a total dogs breakfast, not only was the bolt cross threaded, but the idiot that put it in there, must of realised half way through fastening the bolt, and continued regardless, the bolt was driven in at an angle, the head was so burred over, that no bugger could ever of got it out properly...

I broke 2 easy outs trying, then reverted to drilling out the bolt, and having to tap a new thread....i will get the new bolt back in, and all will work properly, etc, but what a PITA!

So, by tonight i should have it all polished and back together, ready to go to the paint shop to get the disc carriers painted gold as per my OP.

:thumbup: