A full custom rebuild!

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
malicious493: yes, it's a bit difficult, but nowhere near the difficulty of fitting the R6r shock, the rearsets where one of those (I WILL make it fit mods).

Well.... I finally finished tweaking the shock mount, now I can weld all the seams and give it some gussets, hopefully I can finish the bike before Sunday afternoon, it's suppose to be 60 degrees and sunny.:D

Oh I can't wait! Going naked with clip ons and those modified rear sets is definitely the path i want to go on my bike, yours looks great, I wish we all had the skill and resources to put all the parts on our FZ6 that Yamaha should have :thumbup: Keep up the great work!

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I thought about pulling an all-nighter, but while I was working I noticed misty rain was starting to fall, plus it's 38 degrees outside, however I did complete the shock mount (took 15 hours!), and built the riser clip-ons, I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's daylight.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the handle bars painted & installed :cheer:, it was 45 degrees outside today so I had to paint the parts then place them in a box with a few shop lights to keep them warm while the paint dried, also flushed the brake system, I almost finished the rear suspension, but when I unbolted the tri-link from the dog bones I discovered that the bolt and bearing sleeve are covered in rust and corrosion, I hope it's just surface rust, I don't want to spend another $40 and wait over a week for Yamaha to send me new parts from Japan :rolleyes:.

SH106086.jpg

SH106087.jpg

SH106088.jpg

SH106089.jpg

SH106091.jpg

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Yoshiki, yes you can use handle bars, but you nedd to drill and mount special clamps for the bars.

Taku, the R6r swingarm is a direct fit, but mounting the shock is very difficult, it requires alot of mesuring, cutting, welding, test fitting, then more cutting, welding, and test fitting, I've been working on it for 8 hours, and I'm only 1/3 finished, good thing I don't go back to work until Thursday:D

Well my buddy came over after work today, said he's fed up with working on it, after I told him he built the shock upsidedown:(, I just got back from the store, I went and bought a welder and supplies, so I'll build the shock mount and riser clip-on's myself, sorry I don't have any new pics.
damn that's going to be tough. would mean that i have to put in a workshop for a few days-weeks not knowing if they can do this mod.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! You take modding to a whole new extreme! Nice work man! :thumbup: Subscribed!

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow - amazing job. This is fabulous.

VERY curious to hear how it handles now. The swingarm and fork swaps will alter the geometry of course ...

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow - amazing job. This is fabulous.

VERY curious to hear how it handles now. The swingarm and fork swaps will alter the geometry of course ...

Actually the geometry does'nt really change, it sits 3/4 inch lower (front & rear) with a 3 inch shorter wheel base. I bet the turning radius will be crazy good.:D

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Now the big question is can I still call it an FZ6?

I want a custom license plate, because the custom plate in Kansas this year is Orange, I was thinking of AKUMA , which is Japanese for demon, or MUTT, because it's not really an FZ6 anymore :D, any ideas?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's still an FZ6 while it still has an FZ6 heart & soul - Motor & Frame....

It's just a crazy ar$e FZ6 that's all!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Update!! Yesterday I finally installed the shock mounts my friend made, so I lowered the lift and had her free standing, I bounced her up and down a bit (it's not what you're thinking) to test the suspension, it worked great but I saw the upper shock flexing under force, so I scraped the shock mounts and now I'm building my own, I got the lower mount built today, just needs some bolts, not much progress but I did get to enjoy a nice fall sunset while I was working.

SH106095.jpg

SH106100.jpg

SH106098.jpg