78 to 98Hps

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello people, first time i post a message. Im trying to switch my Fz6 from 78HPs into 98. I heard its doable since the 78 version is a 98 version in heart. I tried the search function but it doesnt seem to bring any results whatsoever, any help is pretty much appreciated , thanx :)

Peace, Toympas

W

wrightme43

To my knowledge it hasnt been done by anyone on this site or if it has been done it has not been discussed.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't either a throttle stop or a limiter in the computer map being used?

Toy - What is the redline on your bike? 14,000 rpm?

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
No there are two versions, the normal and the detuned one. It only applies in Europe i think. The S2 version is always the "normal" with 98HPs

I heard its the throttle limiter but what do they mean, i dont know. Is it something on the very grip of the throttle?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No there are two versions, the normal and the detuned one. It only applies in Europe i think. The S2 version is always the "normal" with 98HPs

I heard its the throttle limiter but what do they mean, i dont know. Is it something on the very grip of the throttle?

It can be, or it can be within your bike's computer. What is your redline? 10,000, 12,000, 14,000???

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok A little info. In the UK you have two parts to your bike test. If you complete the first part you are then allowed to ride any bike you like that is restricted to 33hp = 78 ps.
This is so you can gain experience on a larger bike and get to know all the handling characteristics.
After you complete the secomd part you can have the restriction removed and have an un-limited license.
It is usually done by a throttle block, rev limiter or in the good old days a washer in the exhaust.
We have two members who are looking into de-restriction. Scorphonic and I am sorry but I can't remember the second guy.
I personally feel it goes abit further than this though.
The full power FZ6 is £1200 more thatn the restricted version. Is it just a ploy to ensure that people purchase the S2 model?
:mad:
Neil

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
We got something here that worths further investigation as the limiter is probably on the throttle. That saves u tons of money from buying the unrestricted 98 horses edition.

KimL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello people, first time i post a message. Im trying to switch my Fz6 from 78HPs into 98. I heard its doable since the 78 version is a 98 version in heart. I tried the search function but it doesnt seem to bring any results whatsoever, any help is pretty much appreciated , thanx :)

Peace, Toympas

That is true, it´s the same bike and it´s very easy to change the 78 hk version into the 98 hk version. I have the 78 hk version and have changed it into 98 hk, only took about a minute. The limiter is on the throttle as Toympas sad.

Hope i can explain this so you understand since my first language isn´t english, but i will give it a try.

If you look down onto the engine under the gastank on the left side and move the throttle back and forward you see a wheel that turns this wheel holds the throttle cabel. If you look at this wheel you will see two stops, one that will only make you turn the throttle about a quarter. If you look further back on this wheel you see another stop that will make you turn the throttle even more. This is the original stop that is used on the S2 version. If you just bend away the first stop you will be able to turn the throttle all the way and you will be able to use all the 98 hks of the enginge, it´s as easy as that. So if you don´t want ABS brakes on your bike and can live with having the old instumentation and not the new one from the FZ1 then there is no need to buy the S2 version of this bike since it´s so easy to change the 78 hk version.

We have a motorcycle magazine here in Sweden that also has looked into this bike in their last number and they verified that Yamaha has only made this modification to the bike to get it to 78 hk. This was the fastest and cheapest way for them to do it.

Hope everybody understand what i tried to explain :).

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is true, it´s the same bike and it´s very easy to change the 78 hk version into the 98 hk version. I have the 78 hk version and have changed it into 98 hk, only took about a minute. The limiter is on the throttle as Toympas sad.

Hope i can explain this so you understand since my first language isn´t english, but i will give it a try.

We have a motorcycle magazine that also has looked into this bike in their last number and the verified that Yamaha has only made this modification to the bike to get it to 78 hk. This was the fastest and cheapest way for them to do it.

nice write up, very clear. Welcome to the forum KimL hopefully we'll be seeing more posts in the future (maybe the new members thread:thumbup:).

Working in electronics I have seen many cases of removing features from electrical equipment by dissabling components ( or simply removing a wire) which is more work than the all singing and dancing versions, and then selling them at half the price. The savings in the production costs makes it worth while for the bigger companies to do it this way.

Arty

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok A little info. In the UK you have two parts to your bike test. If you complete the first part you are then allowed to ride any bike you like that is restricted to 33hp = 78 ps.

This is fundamentally wrong Neil, 33hp does not equal 78ps, not by a long way.

Ps is the symbol for pferdestärke, which is German for horsepower.

1ps = 0.9863201hp.

33hp = 32.5ps.

I assume the reason for the power difference has nothing to do with the UK's restricted licence, I think your more cynical theory ("Is it just a ploy to ensure that people purchase the S2 model?") is probably closer to the mark. ;)

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx for the nice writeup Kiml. I'll try to post pictures during the week and hopefully escallate it into major sticky thread :))

KimL

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 first sensible answer to this I have seen. Well done KimL.:Flash:

Just glad that i could help, and nice that everybody understod what i meaned :).

This question has been discussed many times in a swedish forum i´m also a member on and there have been a lots of different theories if there was more done to the bike or not, i have talked to my local Yamaha dealer and the answers they got from Yamaha Sweden was that it was only on the throttle that they had made the change, and when the motorcycle magazine also verified this then it was pretty sure that there wasn´t done anything else :).

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just glad that i could help, and nice that everybody understod what i meaned :).

This question has been discussed many times in a swedish forum i´m also a member on and there have been a lots of different theories if there was more done to the bike or not, i have talked to my local Yamaha dealer and the answers they got from Yamaha Sweden was that it was only on the throttle that they had made the change, and when the motorcycle magazine also verified this then it was pretty sure that there wasn´t done anything else :).

well, for those of you with the 78hp model, this will be the quickest, easiest, way to add 20 HP to your bike... Enjoy it and post up some results...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If you look down onto the engine under the gastank on the left side and move the throttle back and forward you see a wheel that turns this wheel holds the throttle cabel. If you look at this wheel you will see two stops, one that will only make you turn the throttle about a quarter. If you look further back on this wheel you see another stop that will make you turn the throttle even more. This is the original stop that is used on the S2 version. If you just bend away the first stop you will be able to turn the throttle all the way and you will be able to use all the 98 hks of the enginge, it´s as easy as that. So if you don´t want ABS brakes on your bike and can live with having the old instumentation and not the new one from the FZ1 then there is no need to buy the S2 version of this bike since it´s so easy to change the 78 hk version.

We have a motorcycle magazine here in Sweden that also has looked into this bike in their last number and they verified that Yamaha has only made this modification to the bike to get it to 78 hk. This was the fastest and cheapest way for them to do it.

Thanks mate and welcome,
Your post leads on to explain what I thought perfectly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is fundamentally wrong Neil, 33hp does not equal 78ps, not by a long way.

Ps is the symbol for pferdestärke, which is German for horsepower.

1ps = 0.9863201hp.

33hp = 32.5ps.

I assume the reason for the power difference has nothing to do with the UK's restricted licence, I think your more cynical theory ("Is it just a ploy to ensure that people purchase the S2 model?") is probably closer to the mark. ;)
Hi Mate,
Yes you are correct, my bad.
I just made the assumtion with out looking it up. I know a guy at work with a 1200 Bandit that is restricted to 33 hp to meet UK requirments.
So this also begs the question what else do they do to the UK models to get them down to 33 HP.
(remove a spark plug lol)
Thanks for identifying my error.

Unit converter - Horsepower, Kilowatts, KPH, MPH

Last edited:

Toympas

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently the throttle limiting factor prevents from injecting air/gas mix to the factory's maximum. Thus limits the revs of the engine and leads to 20 less horsepower. Take a dyno-test and see which revs the engine produces 78Hps. I bet those revs the restricted model does at maximum by default :)

By the wat the Fz6 is of a friend of mine thus i got interested about the 78 - 98 difference and we came to this conclussion. Im a proud owner of a Fz1 red/black '07 myself :)

:Sport::Sport:
:rockon::rockon:

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi mate, from your explaination i understand that that stops limit the throttle position. On that point we can use 'Diagnostic Mode' to check it. If that is like you said, in diagnostic mode restricted versions throttle positions never reach '%100' position.

To sum it up, i reccomend before doing that modification,check throttle position from diagnostic mode weather the throttle position can be opened fully or restrictly...

KimL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate, from your explaination i understand that that stops limit the throttle position. On that point we can use 'Diagnostic Mode' to check it. If that is like you said, in diagnostic mode restricted versions throttle positions never reach '%100' position.

To sum it up, i reccomend before doing that modification,check throttle position from diagnostic mode weather the throttle position can be opened fully or restrictly...

Well according to Yamaha this is what they have done to limit the power on the bike so yes it should prevent you from opening the throttle 100%. And there hasn´t been any damage to my bike after doing this modification and i have had my bike for two years now, so thinks it´s fairly safe to do it.
If you look at the S2 version you see that the gas stop is in the same position as it is on the 78hk if you bend away the first stop, so you don´t have to be afraid that you will over rev the engine since it is the same engines that is used in both versions. :)