5100 vs 7100, oil change

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, not starting an oil debate...

Someone asked sometime ago, once I go from semi to full synthetic to please post the results, so here it is..

I had 2 quarts of Motul 5100 and 1 quart of Mobile 1 4T(MC specicif oil) for the last 3,500 miles.

Just changed it out this am for Motul 7100 full synthetic 10W40.

Filter was nice and clean, oil getting pretty dark so it was about due, no unusual noises, etc from the engine.

Anyway, after about a 10 mile test ride, I really couldn't feel any change to speak of. No, the transmission didn't suddenly stop the proverbial clunk into gear, shifts seemed about the same. The water temp did seem to drop a little faster once under way (after stopping and checking for leaks). Engine noise, the same...

Of course the 7100 is RED. If you have a leak, it'll look like its bleeding!

Its certainly not any worse, but seat of the pants, can't really feel any change either.

I will note that cleaning out a syringe with 7100 in it (just dropping the oil level a tad), the 7100 seemed to adhere to the inside of the syringe more than conventional or semi synt oil.. Of course thats a good thing.

Time will tell...

Safe riding..

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
How is it feeling now? I read you gotta wait a good 150 miles before feeling any difference.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How is it feeling now? I ready you gotta wait a good 150 miles before feeling any difference.

The engine (coolant temp gauge) does seem to cool down little quicker than before, I wasn't expecting that.

Gear changes and general, so far, nothing earth shattering. Never noticed before, but it definitly shifts MUCH easier (can't hear any clunking, shifts like butta) at higher (above 4k) RPM's.

It really doesn't seem to be any quieter (or noisier) engine wise .

I am watching the mileage and am curious to see how / if that changes. I have lowered my idle back to 1,000, (yesterday actually-YES , below spec's) as I prefer the NO right mirror vibration, a little less clunking into first(transmission is NOT turning quite as fast) and a little more engine breaking while slowing.

I did a bunch of stop and go riding yesterday (to confirm the 1,000 RPM idle) and the engine would never go above 190F (no fan kick on). Mid 80's, humid, sun out.. Somewhat confirming the engine oil IS keeping the engine cooler.

I did change my air filter about a week before that (it wasn't too bad) and the mileage dropped from 48 to 45 MPG (US), however, I was doing some hard runs, thru the gears, just checking things, so I know that didn't help.

So far, certainly NOT un-happy with 7100. As to does 5100 go back in next, not sure yet.

I'll post again once I get some more miles, check the mileage and see if that improved.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Kool. Thanks for the updates.

I just purchased some 5100 today. I just purchased my Fazer two weeks ago, so we shall see how it feel with a fresh oil change!:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kool. Thanks for the updates.

I just purchased some 5100 today. I just purchased my Fazer two weeks ago, so we shall see how it feel with a fresh oil change!:thumbup:

I used 5100 for years and was very happy with it. Figured I'd try the full synthetic and see about any improvements.

You won't be disappointed with the 5100, just try to get the heaviest weight allowable for your engine (at least 10w40). Stop at about 2.8, 2.7 quarts and top off. I had to pull a little out, (used a large syringe with a hose attached thru the dip stick hole)

Maybe it was me, but it seemed like the 7100 10w40, was thinner than the 5100 as I was pouring it in the engine (same weight).. And if so, perhaps moving and maybe dissapating heat faster. ??? (I'd think 10w40 is 10w40, 5100 or 7100, probably just me).

Last edited:

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
This will be my first oil change, so I plan to go with 5100, and probably move onto 7100 down the road. Currently, I have no idea what the previous owner used.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just switched to 7100. Let see how it compares!:rockon:

Update, (about a year later) with the 7100, shifting has NEVER been smoother.

It shifts smoother NOW than when I put it in (almost a year ago). 5100 was a good oil, no comparison to the 7100..

Engine nice and quiet, first gear clunk (idle set at 1,100) seems to be less.

Shifting to neutral when fully stopped, piece of cake, same as if you moving slightly (which is when I usually shift to neutral).

I generally don't have to look down for the neutral light, I can feel it slip into neutral..

Getting use to the red color is the biggest change. You'll like...:thumbup:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update, (about a year later) with the 7100, shifting has NEVER been smoother.

It shifts smoother NOW than when I put it in (almost a year ago). 5100 was a good oil, no comparison to the 7100..

Engine nice and quiet, first gear clunk (idle set at 1,100) seems to be less.

Shifting to neutral when fully stopped, piece of cake, same as if you moving slightly (which is when I usually shift to neutral).

I generally don't have to look down for the neutral light, I can feel it slip into neutral..

Getting use to the red color is the biggest change. You'll like...:thumbup:
I'd have more trouble getting used to the red color...of my wallet bleeding out :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't know it was red till I starting pouring. I've never seen red engine oil... Thought it was transmission fluid.

And if you get an engine oil leak, it'll appear to be bleeding!!

It wasn't much more than 5100, I won't go back to anything else... :thumbup:

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
It was pretty cheap. $36 shipped from Revzilla.

So far so good. I'm going to put more miles on the bike and report back to you.:thumbup:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently swapped over to this oil, replacing my dirty oil and filter from before - and I must say, while I haven't noticed the shifting changes you mentioned (might have to put some more km on the bike), it does run noticeably cooler. Four degrees at slow speeds, and close to 10 degrees cooler when I'm on the highway. It's pretty crazy reading how different the numbers are on the gauge cluster

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
What oil did you run previously? I'm a fan of Rotella T6 5w30 myself since it's cheap, readily available, and it improved shifting over the Mobil 1 4T that the previous owner used.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently swapped over to this oil, replacing my dirty oil and filter from before - and I must say, while I haven't noticed the shifting changes you mentioned (might have to put some more km on the bike), it does run noticeably cooler. Four degrees at slow speeds, and close to 10 degrees cooler when I'm on the highway. It's pretty crazy reading how different the numbers are on the gauge cluster

Now I keep my idle at about 1,100, but re the shifting, the first gear clunk is way less, almost neglible and the shifting, it is literally smooth a butter.

I think it took some time, but right now, with over 19K miles on the clock, its never rode/shifted better, never...

Just came back in from a ride to the store, I'll NEVER get rid of this bike. By far, my fav since street riding, (since 1977)

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Just came back in from a ride to the store, I'll NEVER get rid of this bike. By far, my fav since street riding, (since 1977)

One day I might like to upgrade. Got some weird fixation on gixxers lately, but I love the comfort the FZ6 offers. Sat on a CBR600F4i the other day and noticed how top heavy our bikes are (How exactly did they manage to make it so heavy? I know we're not on a supersport but why do we have a 40ish pound difference? Light weight materials are appreciated here too!). I'd love to ride a supersport around for a while to decide if I could handle it, but who knows. Enough money and I'd just own multiple bikes instead! I want to own/ride all of them...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One day I might like to upgrade. Got some weird fixation on gixxers lately, but I love the comfort the FZ6 offers. Sat on a CBR600F4i the other day and noticed how top heavy our bikes are (How exactly did they manage to make it so heavy? I know we're not on a supersport but why do we have a 40ish pound difference? Light weight materials are appreciated here too!). I'd love to ride a supersport around for a while to decide if I could handle it, but who knows. Enough money and I'd just own multiple bikes instead! I want to own/ride all of them...

I've owned many. I don't do the superbike, lay down, constant push up stuff. That is NOT fun to me..

The fastest bike I rode was Suzuki B-King with aftermarket pipes (Hyabusa engine). F...that bike was fast (light to light).

You could not do full throttle in first gear, the G forces, literally would pull your hands off the handle bars.. It was a friends bike I did some mods to.

Uncomfortable as heck, seat hard as a board, but I'll tell you. I almost bought one BUT knew, I'd either get killed, of loose my license..

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I did my 3500 mile at home with yamalube and filter. I don't know who the hell did my free 500 miles oil change at the dealership, buy I had NEVER had that much trouble getting a filter off. I had to stab a screwdriver through it and even at that I got very lucky.

Needless to say I was a mad mofo.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I did my 3500 mile at home with yamalube and filter. I don't know who the hell did my free 500 miles oil change at the dealership, buy I had NEVER had that much trouble getting a filter off. I had to stab a screwdriver through it and even at that I got very lucky.

Needless to say I was a mad mofo.

I think my last owner used a damn impact gun to put my oil drain plug in...

I was able to get it without cracking anything, but holy hell. Between that and the screws that hold the leads onto the battery - that guy didn't want fasteners going anywhere!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think my last owner used a damn impact gun to put my oil drain plug in...

I was able to get it without cracking anything, but holy hell. Between that and the screws that hold the leads onto the battery - that guy didn't want fasteners going anywhere!

12-15 ft lbs is plenty for both the filter and drain plug..