Drained Out Oil Looked Weird???

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Changed my oil Saturday. Last fill was with Yamaha Semi-Synthetic Yamalube 20w-50 (exactly as suggested by my usually reliable, nearby dealer), and was put in the bike less than a year ago (about 3M miles ago).

I use a piece of metal flashing to make a "runway" for the oil to transit from the drain hole to the catch basin. I always pull out the oil drain bolt and the oil filter, open up the fill plug, and take out the dipstick. Then I let the oil drain out while I change the coolant. I even had supper while the oil drained out, to give it more time to drip. So perhaps an hour and a half later, I checked the setup to see if it had stopped draining yet.

Much to my surprise I noticed two "drip lines" going down the piece of metal flashing into the catch basin. One "line" was fairly thick oil, and the large drops were moving fairly slowly straight down the center of the piece of metal flashing, as you'd expect. The other "drip line" seemed very unusual. Those relatively tiny "drips" would form rapidly at the drain hole, and shoot down the side of the metal flashing into the catch basin at great speed. The tiny drops were moving so fast they actually formed their own path down the metal flashing, and totally stayed out of the path of the slower, thicker oil droplets.

I "caught" several of the smaller, faster droplets on a paper towel and noticed they made lighter marks than you'd expect for, say 30 weight oil. They didn't have as much oily substance or oily content as you'd expect for motor oil, but they certainly didn't appear to be water or gas either (I did smell them). There was also no visible separation of the spent oil in the catch basin, so the portion of the "tiny drops" must have been fairly small. (I really should have caught some of both types of droplets in a clear plastic pill bottle, and then waited to see if they visibly separated after being stored for a day or two.)

Does this sound like a breakdown or separation of the semi-synthetic Yamalube oil into its component parts - dino oil and synthetic oil? Is this something common? Any other possible problem you see? Certainly has me scratching my head.

FWIW, I filled up with full synthetic Shell Rotella T6 in the blue bottle. Based on a number of comments about Yamalube, in various forums, I'm done being extorted by Yamaha for what looks like lesser quality oil.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
what is interesting is the separation part of this. two distinct "drip lines," you say

idk. my guess is this is some sort of foaming, most likely harmless. or some "air bubbles?" i am no oil expert, obviously. just trying to pitch in a little

i always notice bubbling or w/e when i drain hot oil. is it lighter, or floating on top of the denser oil? seems to be.

as said no expert, here. maybe in your case the amount of time given the oil to drain had an affect on its consistency and drain pattern? perhaps the exposure to the outside air?

who knows!?

edit: oh, and i have a quick OIL RELATED question for any to answer. can i change the oil filter on my FZ6 without draining the oil, or will a lot of oil come spilling out? seems it shouldn't being most oil is in the pan, pretty sure?

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was the engine oil cool or at operating temperature when you drained it? Without seeing pictures and an oil analysis and assuming everything is in correct operating order, blah blah blah, I'm guessing it very well could be condensation.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The oil wouldn't separate/break down like that.

I strongly suspect coolant seeped over into the oil catch pan. If there's still some there, a taste (just a tiny bit) with ascertain if its sweet (coolant). And No , ust a touch to the tonge won't kill you.. I do know what your talking about and have seen it, its nothng to worry about in either case...

If water was leaking into the engine oil under normal operation, it would just mix and turn a lighter cooler. It'd also raise the oil level too.

BTW, I just changed my oil as well. I did the centerstand first, then on the side stand, I got quite a bit more out on the side stand. I let it drain while I cleaned the oil filter (K&P). There were No drops, trying to get out so I got out what's coming out.

Re changing the oil filter, yes you can pull it without draining the pan. The oil level is a bit lower than the oil filter. It will still make a mess, so maybe some aluminum foil over the header and brake cleaner for the case

Last edited:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. But it's still weird to me.

The "high speed" oil drips weren't foaming or air bubbles. They were real droplets, lighter colored than the usual oil drops.

The engine got to about 145 degrees as I warmed it, then shut it off - so it maybe peaked at 155 degrees or so, after it was turned off.

No coolant touched the oil catch pan, directly or by dripping off the engine - completely separate activity. And whatever the "high speed" drips were, they weren't mixed with the oil, but seemed separate from it.

I will have to remember to use the side stand to get more oil out. I always think I'm about a third of a quart short of getting a full 3 quart oil change.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. But it's still weird to me.

The "high speed" oil drips weren't foaming or air bubbles. They were real droplets, lighter colored than the usual oil drops.

The engine got to about 145 degrees as I warmed it, then shut it off - so it maybe peaked at 155 degrees or so, after it was turned off.

No coolant touched the oil catch pan, directly or by dripping off the engine - completely separate activity. And whatever the "high speed" drips were, they weren't mixed with the oil, but seemed separate from it.

I will have to remember to use the side stand to get more oil out. I always think I'm about a third of a quart short of getting a full 3 quart oil change.

Just a side note.

I know the manual says warm the bike up before the change.

This last time I wanted the engine fairly hot, to full temp. I rode the bike about 5 miles, coolant registered 170F or so. Engine cases got pretty warm as well.

Got home and pulled the drain plug (while on the CC), the oil was barely warm.

You could easily keep your hand in it without hurting yourself.

Next time, I'll be riding it closer to 10 miles and get the oil good and warm. I do let the engine cool down some (maybe 5 minutes) before pulling the drain plug. I had the drain plug out for about an hour total, on both the side stand and CC.

It takes considerably longer to get your oil to temp vs coolant.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looked on the Mobil oil site and couldn't find anything. Did a quick search on the net too, nothing.. I did send them a request re the "fast oil drop" as I've seen it myself.

I'll post if they respond...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think its normal. Surface tension of the oil being drianed vs an internal drip from inside may create the anomily. I've see stuff like that several times... Fill it ride it!

For kick n grins: Surface tension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, it mostly refers o2 but many of the same principles apply. Besides, if all the fluid drained is in one container oil and water will separate. Can you see that happening?

Do some reading on laminar flow too. It has to do with film of oil in contact with the shoot vs the oil skipping on the surface. Basically some of that oil is not moving at all while microns above the tallest metal part of the shoot has flow. Then high drop flies past skimming the surface.
^^ that is the reason they quit putting a fine polish on engines intake runners. Its like a knee on a gym floor vs skidding on sand or gravel. Smooth makes more surface tension stopping flow at the surface. Rough leaves voids to befilled by air (in this example), thus the low points trap air filling voids up to the high point allowing air to flow with less drag due to surface tension...
I'm sure i didnt say part of that proper but read up, its cool stuff. Ps golf balls come to mind also...:thumbup:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
So it's been a while, and I apologize for that. But here's the video of the oil dripping out of my 2007 FZ6. To set the stage properly, most of the oil has already drained out. I typically leave it drain for at least an hour or so. When I came back after about 45 minutes just to give the project a quick status check, this video shows is what I found. (The video is 50 Mb, so it will take some time to download, depending on your connection speed.)

http://vintageautopoint.com/FZ6_oil_drips.MOV

Last edited:

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha..actually looks pretty funny as the drops seem to go faster on the 'slide' than during free fall!
Nothing to worry about there based on that clip. That slide of yours is so well oiled that the drops ride it with extremely low friction which only means the oil is doing its job.