4000 miles on a set of tires!!!!!

B

Bo67

Been true everywhere I've lived. They call it defective equipment I believe.

S

sportrider

true. I'm not sure on a bike but on a commercial vehical anything under 2/32nds of an inch (1.5mm for my "metric" friends) is considered worn out and illegal, in Ca. anyhows.

UPDATE...I bought my tires today, I checked out some different brands, they only had an Avon front, the Corsas where more then I wanted to spend, as well as 2CTs. maxxus had some I looked over but passed on. I've ran the Shinkos before. they didn't have any on the new Road 2s in. so it came down to PPs or dunlop Qualifiers,
the PPs were $99.99/153.99 F/R the Qualifiers were $113.99/116.99 F/R. tough call but I think I'll be keeping my signature pic. I have been kinda busy the last couple days so I didn't feel like breaking them down myself this time, so I paid them 32.99 for both tires to be mounted and balanced. not a bad price considering they normally charge that price per tire. oh well I had to leave my wheels at the shop overnight but come tomorrow I'll be on the road again!!!:D

B

Bo67

Good deal Danny! I got screwed when I had my Metzelers put on but I needed them quick so I had to "pay the man". Let us know how the ride is on them.

S

sportrider

Let us know how the ride is on them.
this is my 3rd set of PPs. I love them!!! the first sets life was cut short by a nail, I got 3996 miles out of #2. thats the best I've ever done on a set of tires!!! shinkos are cheap tires in both ways they only were good for 2845 "sportrider" miles, but there about $70.00 cheaper a set. they feel comparable to the stock dunlop D252s as far as handleing goes. if I wasn't so SOLD on the Michilens I'd have tried the Qualifiers and saved twenty something dollars. I know how the PPs handle and for any reason if the Quilifiers didn't have the same quick steering traits of the PPs I'd have been bummed.
:Sport:

Screach

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like me, I keep putting it off, but I'm going down to the valley for Thanksgiving (150 miles from here), and I've got 11,000 on my front tire (stock). And my rear has 6,100. I've been running with the contenental road attacks for my rears and have been told they last about 8-9000. I'm going with the contental for the front and rear this weekend, sucks though cause my rear would be ok for getting to and from school, but I don't trust it getting me down the the valley especially that stretch that says, "no gas station for next 70 miles" lol. A general rule of thumb I've been told is you should be replacing your rear twice for everytime you replace the front. (replace rear, replace both, replace rear, replace both...) I forget who said it before me, tires are alot cheaper than filling my truck up, but DAMN I wish someone would have told me how long tires last before!

S

sportrider

I always change them both, my logic is if there is that many miles on the rear and its toast the front has that many miles on it also. if the rear breaks loose you have a chance to save it, if you loose the front odds are your going down.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
this is my 3rd set of PPs. I love them!!! the first sets life was cut short by a nail, I got 3996 miles out of #2. thats the best I've ever done on a set of tires!!! shinkos are cheap tires in both ways they only were good for 2845 "sportrider" miles, but there about $70.00 cheaper a set. they feel comparable to the stock dunlop D252s as far as handleing goes. if I wasn't so SOLD on the Michilens I'd have tried the Qualifiers and saved twenty something dollars. I know how the PPs handle and for any reason if the Quilifiers didn't have the same quick steering traits of the PPs I'd have been bummed.
:Sport:

So what did you pay for the PP's? I'm thinking of getting a pair soon, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not paying too much.

W

wrightme43

The tire call out for our bike is a radial tire.

The sport demon is great for the ninja 250 though.

R

Raid The Revenge

I used both front and rear sport-demons on my 650lb VF-1000 without fault.

PIRELLI - Motorbike tyre range

Do you see that central sine groove on the front tire? Believe me, that feature works awesome! I want all my tires to have that feature.

In my opinion, the best X-PLY tires you can possibly buy are Sport Demons.

I'd use one for the rear, but they're not available in a wide enough size.

W

wrightme43

Frequently Asked Questions About Dunlop Tires

q.gif
Can I change my tires from bias ply to radial or vice versa?
a.gif

Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

The VF-1000 is a super hella cool bike. I bet it was a blast to ride.

It was designed to use Bias-ply tires.

Actually heavier bikes are better off with bias ply tires.

Steering head angle and suspension are changed for Radial or Bias-ply use. Its very important to stick radial tires if your bike is designed for them.

W

wrightme43

Why do you say that?
Its not the brand of tire, its the type of tire.

I use and like Avon tires. Other people like Michelin tires. Everybody likes different things. I am responsible for making sure this site has the best available information for its members. If I know something is not the best way to do things, I have to post why its not the best, and how to make it the best.

Look I am frequently wrong, frequently I have had to change my mind and look at things in a new way. It doesnt reflect on me as a person. The only way I can go wrong is to insist on doing the wrong thing, after I know the right way because of pride.

Any radial tire in the 120/70 ZR17 M/C tire is ok for the front, and Any radial tire in the 180/55 ZR17 M/C tire is ok for the rear.

Is a Bridgestone better than a Shinko? In my opinion yes. I wieght the values differently than others.
Maybe cost plays heavier in anothers mind than miles traveled.

Danny buys the stickier Pilot Powers that dont last as long.
I bought the Storm S/T that are supposed to last for a long time.

You should buy whatever makes you happy, however I would reccomend against choosing Bias-ply tires for your FZ6.

Pirreli Diablo Corsa triple zone.
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...RSAIII_HYP.xml

Pirelli Diablo
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...DIABLO_HYP.xml

Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...TSCOMP_HYP.xml

Pirelli Diablo Strada
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...STRADA_HYP.xml

Pirelli Scorpion Sync
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...ONSYNC_HYP.xml

Here are the Pirelli tires that are usable on our bike.

Especially Especially most definitely do not mix radial and bias ply.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sportrider

well said Steve!!!

Raid, no offense but the information you are giving is wrong!!! the bike is designed for radial tires. first off I highly doubt you'll find a bias ply tire in a 180/55 ZR17. second thing there is an old saying that goes its better to remain quiet and be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt. its one thing to ask a question its another thing all together to give out misinformation that could get someone hurt. keep in mind there are alot of new riders who use the forum as a trusted source for information. I agree with wrightme43 100% people have plenty of choices for tires based of decisions like price mileage performance and budget. your riding style can be a factor, if all I did was track days would I want a sport touring tire? I've ran cheap tires when I was in a pinch and needed them, they did not have the grip or stability of the Michelin Pilot Powers I currently am running. I also question your consistencey in one post your saying try some Pirellis and in the next your saying Yamaha only wants Dunlopes or Bridgestones on the FZ6. are you just making an assumption because thats the stock tires or what? the FZ1 comes with Pilot Roads, the 03 R6 came with D208s, the 07 R6 comes with Qualifiers... what does that mean? all I'm saying is don't recommend something unless you know what your talking about. once again I'm not intending to be offensive, just trying to keep the information on the forum correct.;)

R

Raid The Revenge

there is an old saying that goes its better to remain quiet and be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Humerous.

If someone thinks I'm a fool; go ahead and say it...

I want a new definition for a fool. I've been told ever since I bought my FZ6. I want to hear it from the community.

Say it...