4 inch frame sliders? (extended)??

blueraptor80

Reaction score
Visit site
Last night i just purchased my first pair of frame sliders. I decided to buy the extended 4 inch set. Now im thinking that that might not have been a good idea because they might snap if i ever go down. does anyone know whether this is true or not. the material is delrin. can anyone help?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My condern with them being that long would not be the sliders snapping off, but the bolt NOT snapping off and breaking the frame instead. 4" can prove to be a lot of leverage on the mounting point if the slider catches on something during a slide.

However i would not be worried about the slider material snapping.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
If you had a crash where the bolt or slider itself snapped and that somehow did the frame of your bike in I imagine the bike would be taking a lot of damage besides that.

I wouldn't think a low-speed drop would snap the bolt (except maybe in a freak occurrence which might happen with shorter sliders anyway). Even if that is a possibility, it's just a con of having longer sliders. A pro of having them is it's more likely to protect your fairing in a low or no speed drop. It might also protect a few other bits.

You just have to weigh the pros and cons. If shorter sliders will give you more peace of mind, go with those. You can't guarantee how a drop or crash will go and you can't guarantee how your sliders will perform if it happens. People will theorize all day but nobody can predict all of the variables that come into play in a crash or even in a drop. Just use whichever length you're more comfortable with.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 4 inch sliders on mine. They make the bike look like frankenstein from the front but they give me someplace to put my leg or foot on a longer ride. I've thought about the added leverage or the possibility of it snapping. But I figure I'll have other concerns if I get myself in the situation that cause that to happen anyway. :thumbup:

PLANEMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a high side back in March with some of the e-bay extended derlin sliders. Bike went down at about 30 mph. The slider was ground down and bent near the mounting point. Little damage to the bike, only plastic broken, no dents or scratches to the tank. The Insurance company and I paid about $3200 for the repair and I went to some shorter sliders. It looks great now and is still my favorite ride.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
The Insurance company and I paid about $3200 for the repair and I went to some shorter sliders. It looks great now and is still my favorite ride.

Planeman, did you switch to shorter sliders just for the look or did you find the extended sliders did additional damage?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine the slider bolts snapping. They just bend, right? At least, that's what happened to mine. And, it was not an simple task to remove the bent slider bolts. At any rate, sliders are better---no matter what the length---than no sliders.