2012 Aprilia Tuono Ride Review

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for a short ride tonight, about 30 miles. Mainly twisty roads and a 65mph four lane road with a number lights. These were great roads as you need to brake a lot, the speed of the motor varies, lots of transmission changes, lots of trailing throttle, and chances to accelerate frequently.

The bike is a dream, it just works correctly. Smooth, buckets of power, killer brakes, and a controlled but responsive suspension.

Today we set up the traction control, wheelie control, and launch control. This thing is SO powerful I was afraid to try it out. This thing hits so hard. I think I need velcro for the saddle!

The handling is amazing, it just responds, no wait, no twist from the chassis, if just goes. Because it was dark I don't hit the corners however I can tell this bike will rip and beg to be ridden harder and harder, it is so composed.

The brakes are killer, one finger, outstanding feel and modulation. Much better than the R1 set up on the FZ.

Fuel mileage was 31, not bad for squiding around.

The ergos are very comfortable, it has a very nice, up right position, but your legs are in a sport bike position. I'll need to add Stomp Grip to help with support during braking. The saddle is very firm, how a German car seat is compared to an American car. It needs to "season" a little. So far I like the handlebar position. I need to put some longer freeway slab on it to know if I want to got lower and forward. Another thing I noticed is how narrow it is compared to the FZ. On the FZ I always felt my feet were too far apart. On this bike the spacing is very natural.

Here's a few close up photos. I am very impressed with the quality of the materials, and the attention to detail. There are QA/QC yellow marks on almost every bolt.

OH, the SOUND! How could I forget, this the BEST sound stock motorcycle exhaust I've ever heard! It is full, somewhat loud, and bangs during a blip down shift. With the Arrow exhaust with no db killer it can be as loud as a Harley, only it goes FAST!I'll try to get some sound tape tomorrow. I've go an old school MiniDV camcorder that has 24 bit sound. Sounds great.

View attachment 41123

View attachment 41124

View attachment 41125

View attachment 41126

View attachment 41127

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no experience with Aprilia, but I have to admit there wasn't a single fairing, lever, bolt etc. in your pictures that didn't look meticulously designed and manufactured. Just looks "put together" and seems to have a really solid feel.

While yellow is not my color of choice for anything, it still looks dead sexy on your bike.

Is that the R6 ou had painted in the background? One day I will have your garage!

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.

Yup, that is the R6 in the background.

The garage has been a project in itself, but it has really come together, and makes is much easier to do projects.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 is a fatty! Seems every other bike I've tried felt *skinnier*. I did get used to it though. Funny how everything is relative.. Tuono feels like it's got so much more *go* than FZ1 and I remember what FZ1 felt like after FZ6 :eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, It does go at a whole new level of GO! I'm going to take my time getting used to this one.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That V4 sounds like a small bock V8 with a mild cam. That configuration is going to produce torque in power band that you won't see on I4s unless it's an 09 and up R1 I4 which is a crossplane crank.

I know what you're talking about as far as that crazy scary power. My 09 R1 was fun like that. Under hard acceleration you will hit a little bump that took your weight off the seat and the bike pulled out from under you. You might try the Snake Skins.

When I saw the write up on the Tuono V4 I knew I would love to have one. A perfect street bike.

You'll be spoiled by that narrower V4 and chassis on the turn ins when you really start throwing it around.

Hot little Italian! :BLAA:

I'm really happy for you Pete!

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks gorgeous.
nice garage floor too. :D

so....how does the fz1 compare besides the width and brakes?

The whole package stomps the FZ. More motor everywhere better chassis. Etc. It's an amazing bike.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In two weeks the FZ1 Forum is doing a Hill Country ride. I'm really looking forward to it. However I have a ticket in court so I need to be a very good boy. :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In two weeks the FZ1 Forum is doing a Hill Country ride. I'm really looking forward to it. However I have a ticket in court so I need to be a very good boy. :rolleyes:

LOL! I was a LEO magnet for some reason last year..... They were still really nice to me though. :rolleyes: :D

D

Dave.TX

Hey Pete, those are just gorgeous bikes. Of course with the lighter weight it's like adding power and will make it very easy to use in the twisties. As time goes on and I read reviews and such I'm really liking what Aprilia puts on the road. Ducati's are dead sexy (except the Multistrada) but Aprilia is gaining ground on them in that regard too.

As mentioned in another post, I'm jealous. That Hill Country ride sounds good (any hill country ride sounds good). Have fun with them.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound, with db Killer, without db Killer...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcV_tIBc2Vo&feature=colike]2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R - YouTube[/ame]