2011 Triumph Sprint GT! I want one!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think triumph nailed it better than honda vfr in the mid tourer market, its surely more equipped and better looking. GO FOR IT :D:D

Yep, i reckon your right...the new VFR is a technological wonder, but it looks like crap, and it's bloody expensive!!!

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, i reckon your right...the new VFR is a technological wonder, but it looks like crap, and it's bloody expensive!!!

:thumbup:

Not mention it has lost the VFR ummm oh i dunno........ Pizazz :thumbup: Sat on one at the Aussie Supers the other week & it is being bought buy the Army :eek: :eek: Yep , they are going to use it as a tank :D Its HUGE

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not mention it has lost the VFR ummm oh i dunno........ Pizazz :thumbup: Sat on one at the Aussie Supers the other week & it is being bought buy the Army :eek: :eek: Yep , they are going to use it as a tank :D Its HUGE

Not to mention, the fairing's look like they were designed by Homer Simpson! They are ghastly IMHO!

:eek:

appollo

Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone had a chance to ride a GT yet? The first batch that came into adelaide last week were gone instantly. I have been looking at these aswell, took a sprint ST and a vfr 800 out for a testride yesterday and was quite impressed with the ST not so much with the VFR800

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought this Honda ST1300. The difference is indescribable. It's like sitting in my easy chair. AND it does very well in the twisties. AND it's hard to keep it below 90 mph!!! I paid $7300 and the high retail was $8100. 16,445 miles now 17,800+ in 3 weeks. 47.3 mpg!!!! AND there is NO vibration at all. V4 8500 rpm redline. I am more than happy with this bike.

appollo

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i had seen that one but it seems a bit more "tourer" than what im after.most of my riding will be to work and back through city traffic so i want a nimble"ish" machine and when i have to go away i want something more comfortable than the FZ6 and i need that adrenilan rush occaisionally hehe.

looks like a very nice bike though :D

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Na, I like the FZ1 with the factory panniers.
How many moto gps has a Triumph won lately?
Is a 3 cylinder bike as smooth as a 4?
What is the resale on the Trumpet after a couple of years?

Na. Na. Na. It aint a Yamaha. Yamaha is reliable, we all can atest to that. I have looked at these and every time I watch a moto gp I realise that Yamaha is testing out engines that end up as reliable road bike engines like my FZ6.

Sorry mate, take an FZ1 for a ride. Ask for a deal on the factory hard cases AND...............................
just imagine the pain you will get having a bike with a full fairing.
I love my engines access and looks and..........
I dig Yamaha.

:rockon:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Na, I like the FZ1 with the factory panniers.
How many moto gps has a Triumph won lately?
Is a 3 cylinder bike as smooth as a 4?
What is the resale on the Trumpet after a couple of years?

Na. Na. Na. It aint a Yamaha. Yamaha is reliable, we all can atest to that. I have looked at these and every time I watch a moto gp I realise that Yamaha is testing out engines that end up as reliable road bike engines like my FZ6.

Sorry mate, take an FZ1 for a ride. Ask for a deal on the factory hard cases AND...............................
just imagine the pain you will get having a bike with a full fairing.
I love my engines access and looks and..........
I dig Yamaha.

:rockon:
Resale on Trumpys is just fine.

MV don't win too many MotoGPs either - still wouldn't mind one though

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the grim reaper for bikes? First I buy an FZ6 a year before the model is dropped for the FZ6N... then I trade it for a Sprint ST, a year before it is replaced by the GT! Oh well, I've never wanted a v-twin cruiser, but think of the possibilities if I ever got one of those...

Depending on what you want, the GT would be a fantastic bike. I have put 12k miles on my Sprint ST in a year. It has been perfect for daily work commutes (the stock panniers nicely replaced the tailbag from the FZ6), and for a pair of twisty weeklong trips to the TX Hill Country and Ozarks. The TOR exhaust and new tune made it even better, and I can't wait to upgrade the suspension this winter (much like the FZ6, it is a good suspension, but still a bit entry level). Some nitpicky items from the current ST are addressed by the GT (larger panniers, better headlights), but I will stick with my "sportier" (and, more importantly PAID OFF) ST.

The only big thing I don't like about the GT is the exhaust. Triumph has hidden a beautiful single-sided swing arm & wheel behind a big ugly can. Oh well, they obviously didn't ask me.

appollo

Reaction score
Visit site
how much heat do you get from the engine? i did notice when i test rode the ST that there was more heat coming off that i was used to and tex mentioned that aswell.

is it a bother in summer?

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
They made improvements to reduce the heat on the sprints in '06-'07, I think. I put 20k on the FZ6 and 12k so far on the Sprint, all in hot, humid gulf coast weather & even hotter central texas summer touring. At speed on the open road, the 2 bikes are about the same: I feel some heat through the mesh pants on the "downwind" side of the bike, but it hasn't been a problem with either.

My daily commute is about half 70+mph freeway and the balance redlight little towns with plenty of traffic (adds up to a 30mph average). The only time I notice the heat is when stopped in traffic for a while, and the thermostat kicks the aux fan on. That puts more heat on your legs, but otherwise I have never had a problem. As soon as you are over a walking pace, you don't feel it. I don't think I have ever kicked in the aux fan when moving, and I did some very hot touring rides this summer. I wonder if that is what the others were reporting on the demo day?

I have heard people complain of heat through the seat on long trips with the underseat exhaust, particularly for the passenger. I have never noticed any heat from the saddle as the pilot, even on mid-summer 300-400 mile days. I never ride with a passenger, though, either.

Hope that helps.

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had 2 triumphs before, a 1200 trophy and a 900 trident and I was happy with both, they have moved on a lot since then and are a lot lighter now.
I'm not sure how things work in Aus. but It might be worth checking out if it has to be dealer serviced to keep the warranty as over here a full service for a Japanese 4 cal. bike is £250 - £300 and the same service on a Triumph is £450- £500.
If this is not an issue, its a great bike.