2010 SoCal Track days - who/where/when?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright let's use this thread to coordinate Socal track days for next year...

I just booked this in GROUP B: http://trackdaz.com/ti/trackdaz/cat...treets of Willow Springs&id=4MEcPvAs&mv_pc=44

Anyone interested? It's on April 17th (Saturday) @ Streets of Willow.

I`d like to do big Willow, but I can't find any event scheduled there for early 2010 yet.... I checked Track Daz, TrackXperience, Ti2TT, The Track Club, Fastrack Riders, and Hypercycle, but a lot of them don't have their 2010 calendar ready yet... we should be able to have better visibility by next month (December)...

If nothing opens up at Big Willow, this is what I am considering as well right now:

http://ti2tt.com/ti/ti2tt/catgroup.html?category=28 February 2010 @ Buttonwillow#

It's a Friday though... so TBC...

I hope to see some of you on the track next year! :rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Big Willow will be there, just wait, its still early. :D

I'd like to try other tracks in TX this year. We have a lot of smaller sports car club tracks that are a lot of fun.

http://motorsportranch.com/

http://www.msrhouston.com/

I'd also like to get some one-on-one coaching this year too. Track day schools are okay, but nothing beats a private lesson.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope so!

A perfect program for me for early next year would be to do Big Willow in mid-end February and the Streets in April... I am half way there, I just need to find a big Willow day in Feb... :)

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone - long time no see / post!

I see a new smiley has been added: :BLAA:

It has been a long time since I've hung out here. My Orwellian employer has nixed access to this site so I have to jack in at lunch time though someone else's Internet connection.

In the intervening time since my last post, I picked up a track bike from an acquaintance I'd not met before who happened to live a few blocks away from me. Not sure if he's on this board, but his screen name is RG1 or RGOne or something. Anyway I got a good deal on a nice little tracked-out 636; no offense to our FZ6 track riders, but oh man what a difference between the two. :Flash:

Well I am probably in for April 17th if it's a Saturday. I'll subscribe to this thread.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
P.S. - I'd be down to try Buttonwillow possibly, if we can get there on a Saturday. I've learned my lesson and will now drive out to Buttonwillow the night before - it's way too goddamn far to drive early in the morning.

Also, my little track day group is considering doing a weekend out at Pahrump in Nevada. One of my friends describes it as "the best motorcycle track ... ever." :thumbup: That's a weekend commitment for sure, not sure if you can drag yourself away Wavex. ;)

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mark, Jason is here as "Mostro"... I am sure you know why :D

I sent him the link to here as well since I know he is going to regret selling the 636 when he sees the pictures lol

I did Buttonwillow once and we did have to wake up VERY early :) it worked out in 1 day though, but I hear you... it's a bit far...

About Pahrump, I'd consider it as well... obviously, I can't leave for long, but if it's a once a year event, I might be able to negotiate :) I was thinking of Laguna Seca for end of next year though for a 3day trip, so it'll have to be one or the other... do you have any idea on when they want to go?

Finally, I was thinking of doing Cali Speedway eventually too... even if it's a bit more expensive than other tracks... it's very close to home and I hear the track is clean and fun... I'll keep an eye out for that as well...

So far, to summarize, I want to try to get 4 track days in next year:

- trying to go in Feb, preferably Big Willow, (but why not Buttonwillow or Cali Speedway)
- Saturday April 17th: confirmed @ Streets, group B, $135
- I'm going to shoot for 2 more in June/July and Sept/Oct time frame.

Last edited:

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
April 17th will be the one year anniversary for my first track day -at big willow, not streets though. I feel like I have to do something to celebrate... might as well be this!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dave,

You know I'd be interested but I'm a total noob when it comes to the track thing. I get around pretty good in the outback here so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for me. I do know you'd prolly have to shoot me to get me off the bike once I got going! Haha. :BLAA:

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Big Willow will be there, just wait, its still early. :D

I'd like to try other tracks in TX this year. We have a lot of smaller sports car club tracks that are a lot of fun.

http://motorsportranch.com/

http://www.msrhouston.com/

I'd also like to get some one-on-one coaching this year too. Track day schools are okay, but nothing beats a private lesson.

I managed to hit 3 of the TX tracks this year, would like to have hit TWS but never quite hit the timing right. Houston was blast and Cresson is great (both the 1.7mi and the 3.1mi). I'm looking to get up to Hallet in OK in 2010. Additionally RideSmart is going to Barber in AL for the weekend of 8/14 that I am targeting as a great opportunity to experience a top level track!! 9 track days this year and looking forward to more next year!!!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Dave,

You know I'd be interested but I'm a total noob when it comes to the track thing. I get around pretty good in the outback here so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for me. I do know you'd prolly have to shoot me to get me off the bike once I got going! Haha. :BLAA:

Cliff, comon!!! you need to come with us on that one... all you need to do is:

- buy your ticket now :D
- figure out a way to get your bike there (trailer?), we may be able to figure something out since we should have a few ppl from LA driving up there...
- tape your headlights/turn signals, remove your mirrors, safety wire your oil plug (optional)
- remove your center stand
- make sure you have a 1 piece leather suit or zippable leather jacket/pants + gauntlet gloves (the brand HELD rocks...) + boots (+ back protector recommended), and of course a full face helmet...
- the rest is peanuts...
- and then GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget the rubber chicken. You can't do a proper track day w/o a rubber chicken.

Dude, "Why Big Willow instead of Buttonwillow or Cal Speedway?"

1) Buttonwillow is like twice as far away from our part of town. Well maybe not twice as far but it sure feels like it.

2) Buttonwillow is bumpy as hell, though I heard it's better since they repaved Turn 2

3) Cal Speedway is quite expensive

4) Cal Speedway is extremely technical - that infield area is nuts - and the transition from the banked Nascar oval to the infield is a little tricky

Not that Willow Springs is the best, most awesomest track ever ... just practical and relatively close. Not Cal Speedway close, but cheaper for sure.

I'd love to see them set up a road course in Irwindale. Talk about close to home!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
1)
Long Beach ==> Buttonwillow = 151 miles
Long Beach ==> Willow Springs = 112 miles

2) Buttonwillow is bumpy, but it's not as bad as the Streets of Willow imho... the streets scared the hell out of me... seriously though, you can crash at Buttonwillow, and the speeds will always be relatively mellow... if you crash in turn 2 or 7, or 8 at Willow Springs @ 125mph, you'll probably die (like the guy who did the weekend after we went this year)... something to keep in mind....

3) Cal Speedway is more expensive (by how much though?), but if we save $50 in gas and 2 hours each way, it may be worth considering... just one time :) For me it's like Laguna Seca... they're expensive, but you do them once to check them out :)

4) Technical = GOOD!!!! :)

But bottom line to me is I don't care about the track... they all have good and bad things about them... I just want to get the gixxer back out :)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man....I don't need a third bike! And then I'd have to get a trailer...

I'm down for big willow if the dates work out.

I'm probably going to try and hit a NorCal track as well. I just don't see myself going all the way down south to ride a bumpy track that I've never been on before...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
OK I got a preliminary schedule from Fastrack Riders (not on their website yet)

FASTRACK RIDERS 2010 SCHEDULE (tentative 11-17-09)

January 9th (Saturday) @ Auto Club Speedway (ACS) before WERA West event
January 30th & 31st @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
February 21st @ Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS) (Sunday)
March 14th @ LVMS (Sunday)
March 20th & 21st @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
April 11th @ LVMS (Sunday)
April 17th & 18th @ Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (CVR) (Saturday & Sunday)
April 24th & 25th @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
May 15th & 16th @ CVR (Saturday & Sunday)
May 22nd & 23rd @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
June 26th & 27th @ CVR (Saturday & Sunday)
July 24th & 25th @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
August 28th & 29th @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
September 4th @ ACS (Saturday) before a WERA West event
September 18th & 19th @ CVR (Saturday & Sunday)
October 17th @ LVMS (Sunday)
October 30th & 31st @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)
November 13th & 14th @ CVR (Saturday & Sunday)
November 21st @ LVMS (Sunday)
November 27th & 28th @ ACS (Saturday & Sunday)

I was about to sign up for the Jan 30th @ ACS when I realized I'll be in the plane coming back here from a biz trip to Europe lol... that would have sucked... anyone ride the Vegas track yet? I wonder how it is... Feb 21st could be a possibility if we leave Sat. night and sleep there :)

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Just FYI...

I think I'm signing up to do the big track March 14th through Motoyard with a few friends.
-AND-
I still have a credit with Keigwins I plan to use at Laguna this spring... I'll let you guys know in case anyone wants to join. :D

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude I had never even heard of motoyard, and I just checked their website and they have a Streets of Willow day on February 19th and the big track you mentioned in March... I am already doing the Streets in April, so I want to do the big track, but I wish it was in Feb! I shall negotiate with my wife for that Sunday (14th)... Hope to be able to make it up there with you.