2007 Swingarm on 2004 FZ6

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a 2007 swingarm and shock from Flosabe and put it on last weekend. Learned some stuff along the way so decided to post a quick "how I did it".
Step 1. Cleaned up the "new" swingarm, removed all the old grease from the bearings including the shock bearing. Used no residue brake and parts cleaner (outside because it will burn and is BAD to breath). Dried everything off and applied new waterproof grease.

Step 2. Take the old swingarm off.

Step 2a. You will need to remove the cat pipe or midpipe. Put bike on centerstand. Loosen the header nuts and removed the header support bracket bolt (located under the engine). Loosen the cat pipe lower clamp. The objective is to loosen the header and slide it forward but not so much the round gaskets slide out - difficult to get back in place. Separate header from bottom of cat pipe. Remove cat pipe upper hanger bolt and loosen the top clamp. Carefully twist and separate cat pipe. You should have enough space to carefully lower the cat pipe to the ground and remove it to a safe place.

View attachment 39797
View attachment 39798
View attachment 39799

Step 2b. Remove rear wheel and hugger. Place some wood block under the rear of the swingarm so it will have support when you unbolt the shock.

Step 2c. Remove the top shock bolt. Once this bolt is removed there is nothing to support the swingarm other than the frount bolt - it will drom down if not supported.
View attachment 39800

Step 2d. Remove the swingarm bolt nut - I used a 1 1/16 inch socket as the proper metric socket was not in my toolbox. Slide the bolt out and remove the swingarm and shock.

Step 3. Install new swingarm in the reverse order. Check the torque values for the nuts and bolts. I always use thread locker (Honda red) on all bolts except the swingarm and rear axle - @ 87 foot pounds they should not come loose.

I re-used the dust caps on the swingarm pivot and the rear axel nut. The rear axel washer on the left side is a different part number. Have one on order. The 2004 washer is too large in diameter so cut off a little on two sides so it would fit. Final photo is the bike with the new swingarm. I like the look of the black swingarm and hugger with the rest of the bike silver, draws more attention to the frame and engine. Even my daughter thinks it looks better than the old swingarm.

View attachment 39803

How does it work: The shock had 3,500 miles on it and seems to be firmer than the old one which had 30,000 miles on it. Adjustment of the chain tension is much easier now. Most important part is that I shave 1 pound off the bike. :)

Thanks to Flosabe for the parts!

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks PhotoAl!
I've got some parts on order (Axle & swingarm bearings), so I'll be waiting until I receive these to put an '08 swing arm (Black) on the '04.
Thanks for the 'how to!'

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My favorite discovery was being able to remove the cat pipe w/o having to take either the headers or the exhaust cans off. If you decide to remove the headers the center stand needs to be up to have the space to remove them - better to do before the rear wheel is removed. As mentioned you can re-use the axle nut with the newer axle but the washer will need to be trimmed before it can be used or you can order a new washer.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
You guys need to paint you newer style swingarm to match like I did on my 2004. :)

It's an awesome mod in my opinion. I did it so long ago, I forgot about having to fool with the exhaust.

pascal1973

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, nice writeup, can you tell me if the wheel spacers of the old model are the same as the new type? I've found all parts but those, and want to know if i need to find these too.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Used the same spacers. Parts needed with the swingarm are the axle, the blocks that the axle goes thru and the washer on the nut side - I ordered one but made do with the old washer by grinding it flat on two edges. on the front of the swingarm there is a steel tube which is the inner race for the bearings, as I recall it was the same size (length) as the old one. Re-used the dust caps - they fit over the ends and keep dirt out of the bearings (am talking about not the axle end of the swingarm but the end which is connected to the frame). If you look at the spacing for the axle the n the axle the spacers are:

Outer spacer
Hub bearing (inner race which is part of the sealed bearing and does not come out)
Wheel bearing inner race (looks like a steel tube)
Axle spacer (3 or 4 inches long)
Wheel bearing (inner race which is part of the sealed bearing and does not come out)
Outer spacer

When you tighten the axle all of this stuff gets pressed together. The drive hub (thing the sprocket bolts to) is held on by the bearing inside it! The drive hub bearing is the same as the wheel bearing on the other side. Both of those bearings are sealed and cannot be taken apart and lubed (at least not easily). The wheel bearing which is next to the hub is open and can be cleaned and greased. The outer spacers are the ones which press into the seals and always fall off when putting the wheel on!