2006 FZ6 fuel pump question

ScuzzyTurtle

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my fuel pump out of my tank this past week to drain the fuel and repaint the tank. Where does that little black wire go??? The fuel pump is off of a 2006 fz6 fazer...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the schematic there are two wire to the fuel sensor and two wires to the pump motor. Were is the other end of the wire you're talking about connected?
[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 pumps use extra wires to a capacitor to stabilize the fuel gauges (wheelies you know)...
Sorry but the blur in the photo makes it hard to tell. Where/what is it connected to?

Does it look like an oem connection?

I don't know! Better pic plz! :thumbup:

ScuzzyTurtle

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry guys I don't know why the photo was like that... I replaced it with another one it should be a better pic now.... The black wire like like it comes out of the bottom of the fuel pump but the end of the black wire doesn't have a connector on it... maybe broke off or pulled off.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never seen a spare wire like that and see no need for it. It appears to be connected to the "ground wire" or from the bikes harness, to the ground side of the bikes electrical system.

BEST GUESS: if you ohm out the Bikes Ground Wires and found a BREAK in the ground wire, someone before you **MAY HAVE** pulled the pump, added an internal ground wire and connected this inside the tank hoping the Tank would ground through the bikes Chassis. But Honestly I have NO CLUE. Just a guess!

^^ If any part of that is true, I'd fix the bikes harness before running an internal ground. The pump just before it stalls can draw upwards of 4 - 5 Amps. So it needs a Good Ground and we don't want sparks in the tank.
56704d1431715356-2006-fz6-fuel-pump-question-img_0073-jpg

ALL of that said; use a test lamp from the BATTERY POS (+) to the GREEN FUEL PUMP Connector BLACK wire. The Black wire is the Ground. If the Lamp Lights, it has a connection to ground which it should.

Bottom line: there is no need for that wire. Cut it off at the connector and discard it. The bike was running before paint job, YES?!?